• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two things you need for CCW!

I can't cite statistics, but only my own experience. When training as a paramedic, when that "Holy Sh*t" moment came, I tensed up involuntarily (especially in the hands). It was for a brief moment, but if I had that been holding a gun it could have gone off. Again, just my own experience.

I'll keep it simple by saying this:

There are the blanket rules that are drilled into the new shooter.

Then there are the techniques that are learned by the highly skilled shooter.

A technique that on the face would violate one of basic rules might easily be justifiable in the context of the technique, but it requires 3 very important things:

1) A shooter who's experience allows them the ability to judge cost/benefit for themselves. (ie. noobs learn the basic rules FIRST and only after it becomes second nature should they entertain techniques that defy them.)

2) A shooter willing to do the training and continued practice to maintain the technique and skill. (this is one of the least understood issues with skill of arms. You have to maintain skills with regular practice to be effective. )

3) A justifiable purpose of the technique that can be shown by experimentation to be of some benefit. (One does not go creating exceptions to rules without justification. This is especially true in a society that sues for any reason.)

For obvious reasons, I'll skip the examples and sum up by reminding everyone that "he who is truly wize knows there is much he does not know."

Being that looks like a PPK, he could wyatt earp that thing with the safety off and it would never fire. Getting them to fire from DA normally is a chore to begin with. [laugh] What's the DA pull on those things, like 30 pounds? [shocked]

Of course I'm being facetious here. I don't think I would ever hold a gun like that, not even a PPK. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
We will just have to agree to disagree. I sounds like you really don't like this Cooper guy. Did he owe you money or something?

I don't do guru worship. Everything I read or learn about is open to questioning, thought, then acceptance or rejection regardless of whose idea it is.

Back then people thought asbestos and lead paint were a good idea too.

Asbestos is a great insulator, just don't breathe it.

Lead paint is great. I remember when I was a kid, houses didn't peel, crack, fade, or chip like they do now. Just because some people can't keep their kids from gnawing on a windowsill, the rest of us suffer with poor paint and more home maintenance.

And I disagree that NDs should be expected.

That's why I said AD not ND. When you are pushing the limits, trying to get the trigger to break just as the sights get on target you are going to have some draws were the trigger breaks first. Its part of training.

Asbestos is a great insulator, just don't breathe it.

Lead paint is great. I remember when I was a kid, houses didn't peel, crack, fade, or chip like they do now. Just because some people can't keep their kids from gnawing on a windowsill, the rest of us suffer with poor paint and more home maintenance.

Damn kids ruin everything.

I'll keep it simple by saying this:

There are the blanket rules that are drilled into the new shooter.

Then there are the techniques that are learned by the highly skilled shooter.

A technique that on the face would violate one of basic rules might easily be justifiable in the context of the technique, but it requires 3 very important things:

1) A shooter who's experience allows them the ability to judge cost/benefit for themselves. (ie. noobs learn the basic rules FIRST and only after it becomes second nature should they entertain techniques that defy them.)

2) A shooter willing to do the training and continued practice to maintain the technique and skill. (this is one of the least understood issues with skill of arms. You have to maintain skills with regular practice to be effective. )

3) A justifiable purpose of the technique that can be shown by experimentation to be of some benefit. (One does not go creating exceptions to rules without justification. This is especially true in a society that sues for any reason.)

For obvious reasons, I'll skip the examples and sum up by reminding everyone that "he who is truly wize knows there is much he does not know."

It's similar to when I took my Motorcycle Safety Course: They say not to brake in corners, for it's propensity to ruin your day.
Can it be done successfully? YES.
But THEY aren't gonna tell me that or else there would be many more crashes on their students first rides

It's similar to when I took my Motorcycle Safety Course: They say not to brake in corners, for it's propensity to ruin your day.
Can it be done successfully? YES.
But THEY aren't gonna tell me that or else there would be many more crashes on their students first rides

Exactly. "Trail-braking" is a very effective technique, but is an advanced skill that isn't given to new riders for obvious reasons. Same reasons, and same criteria.

That's why I said AD not ND. When you are pushing the limits, trying to get the trigger to break just as the sights get on target you are going to have some draws were the trigger breaks first. Its part of training.

Got it.

However, I don't see myself reaching the point of an AD in pursuit of the fastest draw time ever. There are other skills that contribute much more to prevailing in a fight than a uber fast draw.

I can also confirm that the cover shot is not Ayoob and he had no control over it, same thing with the "concealed carry" book with the full size pistol carried in a vest pouch...

Um....should his finger be on the trigger?

The cameraman wasn't the camera man but actually a brutal thug who had just killed the real camera man outside the set just minutes earlier. The picture was shot as the man with the gun was drawing his weapon and the fake thug camera man was ducking for cover. Shortly after the SHTF. [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom