• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two things you need for CCW!

MVC-003S.jpg

Ok. I'll agree with that however, with the firearm down by his waist he would have no way, with any degree of accuracy, to know where that bullet would travel. In which case his finger should not be on the trigger. I think it shows poor judgment to put a picture on the cover of a how to firearms book that, to the casual observer, displays unsafe firearms handling.

I'm sure it is a great book to have.. Ayoob has a great reputation, and I'm sure I actually have one or two of his books lying around.. [wink]

I know everyone memorizes Jeff Cooper's four rules of safe gunhandling.

What most don't do is analyse their context. Those rules are 1911 centric.

Jeff Cooper was not the first guy to discover safe gunhandling.

Before Cooper ever came along, in the days when revolvers were king, getting the finger on the trigger as soon as your hand got a grip on the gun was considered proper. In fact, duty holsters of that time had the trigger guard completely exposed for a good reason. Nobody considered that unsafe, and double action handguns still operate the same even after Cooper came up with his rules.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Bill Jordan, who just so happened to have a tremendous amount of real world gunfighting in a law enforcement context. Something Jeff Cooper lacked.

I know I am slaying several sacred cows here, but that's what happens when you apply critical thinking to dogma.

Back then people thought asbestos and lead paint were a good idea too.

If you can't grasp the concept that double action firearms can safely tolerate certain manipulations that would be unwise in a single action firearm, there is nothing I can say that will make sense to you.

... I think it shows poor judgment to put a picture on the cover of a how to firearms book that, to the casual observer, displays unsafe firearms handling.
Poor trigger discipline and a crappy grip, perhaps it's a don't do this picture. [grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

If you can't grasp the concept that double action firearms can safely tolerate certain manipulations that would be unwise in a single action firearm, there is nothing I can say that will make sense to you.

You are under the impression that because I don't agree with you that I don't understand you. I know what your saying, I just think your wrong. One of the bodies startle responses is hand flexing. It would be more than enough to overcome the trigger pull of a double action revolver. Not to mention in a life threatening situation the bodies sympathetic nervous system takes over and releases epinephrine and norepinephrine, which increases the heart rate and blood pressure and narrows the smaller blood vessels. This causes the loss of fine motor function which would negate any difference between a single and double action trigger pull. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Last edited:
It was covered in a Paramedic manual I had. I think it was published by Brady. I still have it somewhere. I will try to dig it out. I believe in a sympathetic response the bodies sphincters go the other way and tighten. Of course I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Trav, you can trot out all the "evidence" you like. I put my finger on the trigger way earlier in the draw stroke than most people who follow Cooper's dogma do.

It is what it is and it will not change.

When you want to shoot revolver quickly you need to be prepping the trigger before you are on target, it becomes part of your draw and transition. It can be a very unsettling feeling when you start practicing it. Be prepared for some AD's.

When you want to shoot revolver quickly you need to be prepping the trigger before you are on target, it becomes part of your draw and transition. It can be a very unsettling feeling when you start practicing it. Be prepared for some AD's.

Why does that seem so wrong?

Sometimes schools of thought change.

In LFI-1, back in 2008, Ayoob told us of this book. He asked us what was wrong with the picture and admitted that it was not a good choice for the cover. It was already sent to print at that time.

In LFI-1, back in 2008, Ayoob told us of this book. He asked us what was wrong with the picture and admitted that it was not a good choice for the cover. It was already sent to print at that time.

So, is it a photo of him showing how not to do it, or is it someone else?

Similar to the sphincter loosening phenomenon. Evidently, in high stress situations, the sphincter loosens, causing one to defecate, and thereby discharge excess weight before fleeing.

Can't source that one either.

That's alright Timber, we'll accept your anecdotal experiences as a cite!! LOL [smile][wink]

Jordan covers how to train up for it in his book.

Reading some of his material on presentation, Todd Green trains the same way with DAO and DA/SA semi autos, FYI.

And I disagree that NDs should be expected.

Trav, you can trot out all the "evidence" you like. I put my finger on the trigger way earlier in the draw stroke than most people who follow Cooper's dogma do.

It is what it is and it will not change.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I sounds like you really don't like this Cooper guy. Did he owe you money or something?

Back
Top Bottom