• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two schools of thought: Where do you put your safe?

Which placement do you prefer?

• "Out of Sight, Out of Mind", but same floor that you live on

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • "Out of Sight, Out of Mind", access once a week or month, if even that often

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • "Out 'n' Easy", use it daily

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • "Out 'n' Easy", DON'T use it daily

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
Mendon, MA & West Springfield, MA. Servicing & Dea
NES!

We hear a couple of perspectives on safe placement in our store, and it got us wondering: Where do most folks put their safes?

Back in the day, it was fairly evenly split (I'm told) between customers that had their safes out on display and customers that hid them away. Now, many more folks choose to put them in removed locations rather than out and easily accessible. There are a couple schools of thought on this.

1.) The "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" School:

If you hide away your safe - removed from where contractors and burglars would look, then it's safer because it's minimally seen. This may make it a little more difficult or inconvenient to access, but it's worth it for the safety. Gun's, irreplaceable documents, cash stores, and heirlooms are stored in the safe, but items used daily or weekly are not. The safe is probably accessed between once per week and once per month.

2.) The "Out 'n' Easy" School:

If the safe is out and easy to access in a main room, and it's likely part of the daily routine. It's accessed in the morning to get out your wallet, pocket book, cash, and is used to hold the every-day carry guns chosen based on what conceals best in your clothes that day. Not only does it house guns and long-term storage items, but also check books, passports, extra ID's and credit cards in the safe. Maybe it's riskier to have it out in the open, but the convenience and the security of having everything locked up every day is worth it. Plus, they make some nice looking paint jobs. In the case of a burglary or fire, everything that you want kept safe is locked up, and there's no lag between making a "this goes in the safe the next time we open it" pile, and those things actually making it in the safe.

Which do you employee?

Last edited:
I have a big safe that's out of view and tucked away, and then an easily accessible safe for my handgun. I have very young kids and I live in MA, otherwise I'd just have stuff in drawers around the house.

A) Who has only one safe??

and

2) Who has ONLY a safe small enough to hide?

[troll]

Mines in the wifes walk in closet, their gonna find it either way, too big to hide. Hopefully 700 lbs and bolted to the floor will deter most, I do have a number of other systems in place as well.

I lost my safe on that horrible fishing trip. With all of my firearms, ammo and preps. I've been depressed ever since.

Seriously? The large safes are alarmed, bolted down, and tucked away out of sight. The smaller safes are bolted down, but readily accessible in closets. Small "Stack-on" gun cabinets are also readily available in other closets, and there are a couple micro-vaults floating around depending upon specific requirements.

My safe was already in the house when i got here. It's a small room in the corner of a larger room with a padlock on the door. You wouldn't think that it was anything if not for the spikes tactical stickers making fun of the religion of "peace" on the door.

In a closet in the bedroom... around a corner with no door so it's out of sight but easy to get to.

And the German Shepherd's food bowl sits right next to it... he doesn't let anyone he doesn't know anywhere near it.

9c2338511fc59a9a841a687add8a9895.jpg

Gun safes in the living room. Ammo safe upstairs and it's safely locked. Keys are hidden down cellar somewhere. Large German Shepard supplies the time to get the key to run upstairs and get some ammo then run back to the living room and open the safe, load the gun, run to where the dogs barking to find out he only has to go out again.

Gun safes in the living room. Ammo safe upstairs and it's safely locked. Keys are hidden down cellar somewhere. Large German Shepard supplies the time to get the key to run upstairs and get some ammo then run back to the living room and open the safe, load the gun, run to where the dogs barking to find out he only has to go out again.

This is an attempt at trolling?
e406a7b8181fd089edcf83f1bb8e1ac3.jpg

I keep one in my wallet,but I never like to use them oops sorry wrong forum.

Back
Top Bottom