• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two questions -- One serious, one not so much

Parker Schreiber

NES Member
First the serious question. I have a 30+ year old serrated bread knife which is now quite worn. Has anyone had any success getting such a knife sharpened, and if so, can you recommend a company North of Boston? Or should I just spend the $50 for a new Victorinox?

Now, the less serious question. In the 19th Century Sheffield, they apparently made Sterling silver handled Bowie Knives. I'd like to get one in my Reed and Barton sterling pattern. I even have a "sacrificial" carving knife with an awful blade which might have a suitable handle. Is there a local smith who would be interested in taking on such a project?

If you get a set of round honing stones. Different small sizes you could take you time and do it up real nice if you like the knife. A flat stone for the backside too. If it’s worn to no teeth, shop for a new one. Don’t have a suggestion for a new one. I just touch up the one I have.

with the closure of the last local flatware companies, you are not going to find any big shop in MA. There was a small shop down in Taunton/Norton area but last I heard, the EPO's shut them down. Hate to say it but you might start searching eBay or Arizona knives for your ceremonial carver blade. Don't know any knife makers or gunsmith types locally but maybe a jewelry maker could do a blade swap. Good luck with getting it done.

Back
Top Bottom