• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two of my favorite Germans - TX move!

Move to TX complete...

I applied for my LTC here and now the wait begins, BUT...

I can carry concealed in my car without a permit anyway...kind of cool.

My auto insurance dropped $700 for the same vehicles, coverage, and insurance company.
I no longer have to pay excise/property tax on my cars.
My house cost less than half and is a hell of a lot nicer than the one I had in MA.
AND I can properly defend my home like a real American!
Every day I discover something great about the move.

You guys should check it out...a LOT of people are jumping on the bandwagon - the growth in north Dallas is incredible - damn near free standing economy. I know many of you have family ties that make it difficult, and it isn't exactly that easy to find a new job at the drop of a hat. It took me 8 years to get out of MA!

IMG_0103.jpg

It's a dry heat. [smile] Actually, in a dry area it's not that uncomfortable when hot. Houston = humid = sucks in summer. Dallas?

~10 years to retirement, then I will head back south for sure. Maybe sooner and work from home, but probably not while I have two in Mass colleges. Enjoy your freedom!

Dallas has some maniac traffic... The mixing bowl is a true free for all.

It's a dry heat. [smile] Actually, in a dry area it's not that uncomfortable when hot. Houston = humid = sucks in summer. Dallas?

~10 years to retirement, then I will head back south for sure. Maybe sooner and work from home, but probably not while I have two in Mass colleges. Enjoy your freedom!

Dallas isn't as humid as Houston but it gets pretty damn hot. Pick your poison - freezin' ass winters up north or hot summers. I prefer the summers as I am more accustomed to it.

Funny thing you mentioned MA colleges - I am paying out of state tuition for my daughter to go to college in NC and it's almost the same price as in-state in MA! She just got an RA position for her dorm so I will now be paying less to send her out of state in NC than I would have paid in state for MA!

- - - Updated - - -

Wait until July and August and get back to us.

I served in the Marines in southern CA and AZ and grew up in the south...I will take that a thousand times before I do another 6 month MA winter...

Dallas gets every bit as humid as Houston does. I grew up in Shreveport which essentially has the same weather as Dallas does and the humidity in July and August will wilt you.

My auto insurance dropped $700 for the same vehicles, coverage, and insurance company.

I hope you own a small fleet to qualify for a $700 insurance decrease. I pay only slightly more than $700 a year for all our vehicles and drivers...

So in other words, in Texas I would get more or less free car insurance, good to know.

I hope you own a small fleet to qualify for a $700 insurance decrease. I pay only slightly more than $700 a year for all our vehicles and drivers...

So in other words, in Texas I would get more or less free car insurance, good to know.

Yea if you combine with home owners - it gets cheap. But don't be so quick to jump on the guy. You don't know if he rents or owns, don't know his driving record, don't know the cost of repairing his car if it's in an accident, etc... I know two things about German vehicles. Actually 3 things. They're unreliable, difficult and expensive to repair (especially VW / Audi) and for some reason there held in much higher regard here then they are in the country they come from.

You know what a 5 series BMW is in Europe... Typically a taxi cab. It's Europe's version of the Chevy Malibu. But drive one here and people think your a baller.

I'm sorry, but the whole "I moved to the South so I'm free of MA/New-England style oppression" is flat out ridiculous. I'm not at all meaning to take you down a notch just out of spite. But it's not reality.

Yea if you combine with home owners - it gets cheap. But don't be so quick to jump on the guy. You don't know if he rents or owns, don't know his driving record, don't know the cost of repairing his car if it's in an accident, etc... I know two things about German vehicles. Actually 3 things. They're unreliable, difficult and expensive to repair (especially VW / Audi) and for some reason there held in much higher regard here then they are in the country they come from.

You know what a 5 series BMW is in Europe... Typically a taxi cab. It's Europe's version of the Chevy Malibu. But drive one here and people think your a baller.

Couldn't agree more. I had a 2000 VW Jetta that I finally got rid of in December. Sunk so much money into it to keep it going. Now I got a 2013 accord ex and I love this car.

But back to the OP, congrats on the move! I certainly wish I could up and leave MA on the drop of a hat but I cannot as of now.

I've lived in Lewisville, Grapevine, Austin, San Antonio, Uvalde, Odessa, and New Braunfels. My wife is a Texan, my oldest was born a Texas and now going to A&M. I enjoyed Texas for the most part, but New England/North East much better in my opinion. Would I move back to Texas? Yes I would, but would look at other parts of the country first.

Yea if you combine with home owners - it gets cheap. But don't be so quick to jump on the guy. You don't know if he rents or owns, don't know his driving record, don't know the cost of repairing his car if it's in an accident, etc...

Fair enough. I don't combine with homeowner's. $700 as discount just makes me curious how much it was otherwise.

As for the move, different strokes for different folks. I'd be more interested in Montana/Idaho/Wyoming than Texas.

I heard Toyota is coming to Dallas and real estate prices are actually going up because of that.

New England is beautiful geographically but sucks big time politically, economically and freedom wise.

Move to TX complete...

My house cost less than half and is a hell of a lot nicer than the one I had in MA.

You guys should check it out...a LOT of people are jumping on the bandwagon - the growth in north Dallas is incredible - damn near free standing economy. I know many of you have family ties that make it difficult, and it isn't exactly that easy to find a new job at the drop of a hat. It took me 8 years to get out of MA!

View attachment 161972

I will gladly deal with swampass levels of humidity, traffic and mean snakes if it means I can get out of the DPRM. Congrats and don't let anyone here pee in your cereal- congrats and more congrats

Worked 9 months outside Dallas (Las Colinas) on an extended consulting gig and have to say I loved the place. The people were nicer than back here, the ladies dressed to the nines and even though I was working 12 hr days - I could still head out for a couple of hours at the end of the day and enjoy a very affordable nightlife.

My team and I were actually asked to dress down, so we would blend in better with the company were working for - except for the two women on our team. The CIO of this major healthcare company was a little petite thing, tottering around on platform heels, and she told the two women to step up their game - saying, "y'all in the South now, we put on makeup to take out the trash".

They were typical New Englanders, both in their early 30s, and they were mortified. After the CIO left, they asked us guys if she was serious - and we pointed out that from the receptionist to the CIO; all the women were in full makeup, skirts and heels. From the following week through the end of the gig, they dressed up while the guys were all in polo shirts.

God Bless Texas

Move to TX complete...

View attachment 161972

Everything you said is also true for me, moving from Texas to NH: cheaper insurance, no property tax on cars, can defend myself/my home/others, etc.

BTW, the North Texas boom is a balloon that will burst. The moment that Dallas stops running out of other people's water to steal, all outbound lanes will be jammed full of U-Hauls.

...what? Did you think you moved in and turned the tap and that water actually came from the Dallas area and is sustainable? LOLLMAO!

I agree with the others about the heat. I can barely stand summer's down in Orlando. I could never live with that amount of heat. The snow I can deal with. Spring time in NE is incredible IMHO and a good summer is pretty much all I ever want. YMMV, have fun down there.

JHC. The guy is happier in Texas than here. WTF? Can't you accept this? Heat and humidity are trumped by AC. Restrictive gun laws are trumped by Texas attitude. If he was paying $2500 a year for car insurance one could easily understand a $700 decrease. the ONLY reason I'm not 100% on N.H. is the cost of heating.

Haters got to hate. FU. OP, congratulations.

Last edited:
Hmm - I have been preaching the values of TX to my wife for a long time, however she won't listen....

Move to TX complete...

View attachment 161972

Congrats on the move... I'm glad that you are happy and that it's all working out for you.

Move to TX complete...

View attachment 161972

Who are you, Colion Noir?

Back
Top Bottom