Two is one, one is none.

A great lesson I learned from a friend of mine: two is one, one is none. The lesson came to bear upon me as just a few days ago I made the trek from Arlington, MA to Walpole, MA to drop off my AR-15 and AK-47 at 1776 Gunsmithing. It wasn't until I got home that day that the thought occurred to me - I had no proper battle rifle at my house. Granted, I still have a 12g pump shotgun, a few 22lr rifles, and a gussied-up Mosin Nagant rifles, I still felt 'nude' in a way. I was so disconcerted that I had an anxiety dream about an L.A. Riot-style mob descending on my neighborhood and me without a way to help.

So, without further ado, I introduce my newest rifle, Two:

A Stag Arms G3 with 18" heavy fluted barrel, Samson heavy duty free-float handguard, Stag three-gun competition compensator, some-fancy-name-I-can't-remember 3.5 lb competition (what's that mean?) trigger, and some Magpul furniture. To top it off (literally), I mounted a Baraska 6-24x CRAZY ASS LARGE scope on top.

I'll sleep better knowing I have an AR, despite the fact that it isn't even REMOTELY zeroed.

The End.

P.S. To all the haters, yes, that is the neutered 10-round magazine which came with the rifle.

I plan on using the rifle for 100yd to 200yd shooting. For home defense, I'd use the rifle with no optics and no sights and still be dead nuts on. I suppose having it is a sort of security blanket, a psychosematic assurance that nothing bad will happen because I've effectively negated Murphy's Law.

And re: quick scoping...man...that shiz pisses me off SO much.

I didn't even see that magazine in it the first three times I looked... It's so small, so cute... [rofl2]

What work are you having done on your other two rifles??

Now, get crackin on making more uppers for the AR's and have at least one 'standby' lower at all times. As in no upper connected to it until you need to pair it up.

Nice. Get a 45 degree offset picatinny. Mount it on the rail that the scope is mounted on, offset to the right of the scope. Put a small red dot sight on it. Shoot close by with the gun tipped at a 45 degree angle to the left using the dot. (Almost gangsta style. [laugh]). You could even put a laser on it for in the house work.
White Feather

I'll sleep better knowing I have an AR, despite the fact that it isn't even REMOTELY zeroed.

It's okay, apparently bad guys, zombies, and school children **** their pants and die if you simply hold an AR up to your window, so it doesn't matter if you can't hit anything.

Here is a new concept for you to ponder: Three is one. One is parts. Two is none. You need another gun.

What happens if your only battle rifle fails?

What's crazy about my mindset is that my home defense firearms are a Remington 870 Express Tactical and a Ruger SR1911, both of which are stashed (in accordance with Gestapo regulations) in my bedroom. My AR would NEVER come out for home defense unless the SHTF. Either way, I found the rationale to be good enough of a reason to impulse buy a (hopefully) kick-ass AR.

Also...not sure if that scope is going to live on there long term. It may be a short-term if the scope doesn't work for me.

Here is a new concept for you to ponder: Three is one. One is parts. Two is none. You need another gun.
I now start missing all those 80% receivers GBs! They should be appropriately named "ghost" guns. Get half a dozen of them and make them into scary looking devices, all redundantly!

I plan on using the rifle for 100yd to 200yd shooting. For home defense, I'd use the rifle with no optics and no sights and still be dead nuts on. I suppose having it is a sort of security blanket, a psychosematic assurance that nothing bad will happen because I've effectively negated Murphy's Law.

And re: quick scoping...man...that shiz pisses me off SO much.
Throw a set of canted irons on the side and then you can have both worlds in one rifle. Oh and you will look gangster as shit shooting it sideways.

Nice.
But home defense with a 6-24 scope?

At home defense distances you don't even need sights. In a class I took a few years ago, we shot targets just sighting down the length of the rifle. It was very fast and accurate enough.

I think the OP acknowledged that a scope like that wasn't ideal for inside use.

I've found a really excellent optic that is very very versatile.

Its the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1.

It dials down to 1.5x and allows shooting with both eyes open. It has a standard reticle, but it also has a red dot that can be turned on whenever you want it.

It works as well as an aimpoint up close, but gives you the added option of 4x magnification if you want to reach out farther.

Its readily available for $400 on line and it doesn't weigh a lot at about 9 ounces. Combine it with a light weight Aeroprecision one piece mount and you've got a scope on your rifle for well under a pound.

The only disadvantage compared to an aimpoint is the durability factor.

There are other dangerous game / 3 gun scopes out there with illuminated reticles. But none compare in size, weight and cost. I am very happy with mine.

Overall I'm a big fan of this kind of scope. I've got a couple of Monarch scopes on other rifles of mine. One is a 1.5-4.5 x 20. It has a 1 inch tube and actually has better glass than the leupold. But it doesn't have an illuminated reticle. So it couldn't really be considered to be a full aimpoint replacement.

The other is a high end Japanese made Monarch African. Its got a 30 mm tube and amazing glass. Its just stunning. But its twice the money with a lighted reticle and also twice the weight.

I think the little leupold hits a sweet spot in that it adds a lot of capability to a standard rifle without adding a lot of weight or cost.

Just FYI it's Stag 3G...i own one, and it's my favorite rifle i've even shot. I wanted a rifle that felt a little like my issued m16 in the Corps in size, but had all the luxuries of home (Giessele trigger, rad compensator.) I've got a 1x4 MTAC on mine and I don't think i'll ever need more. enjoy, bro!

Mike

Mike, glad to hear I made a great choice! I miss the M4 I carried in Iraq, and replaced it with a S&W M&P-15 carbine. I decided my next AR would be a longer iteration.

I'm really thinking I need a smaller optic on it, though.

there's a LOT of really great options for optics in the 1x4 category..if you want to slap my MTAC on your piece (or if you just want to shoot mine instead) to try it out anytime, you're more than welcome to. i don't think there is a better choice out there for an 'out of the box' rifle in the price range we paid for our 3G's...i have a build parts list accumulating right now for my QD upper/lower from the recent group buy, and i'm seeing it would probably cost about 1600-1700 to build the rifle Stag somehow managed to sell to us for just over 13. that damn trigger is AMAZING, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom