• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TV moments that were/are perfect

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Watching Babylon 5 again, just hit what I feel is one of my favorite scenes. Curious if folks have anything else they would like to share.

Background: G'Kar is a former ambassador, turned political prisoner, turned religious/philosophical figure. His people have been slaughtered, enslaved, and oppressed by a much more powerful empire until they waged a war of liberation to throw the other empire out.

A student askes G'Kar, "What is truth, and what is God"

G'Kar replies:

"If I take a lamp, and shine it towards the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth, for understanding. Too often we assume that the light on the wall is God. But the light is not the goal of the search. It is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search, who does not bring a lantern with him, sees nothing.

"What we perceive as God, is mearly the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light, pure and unblemished, not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume we are the centre of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do. Or we turn to look at our shadow - and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose. Which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all it's beauty and in all its flaws, and in so doing better understand the world around us".

View: https://youtu.be/N_oQkSh2lq8

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
God bless Reverend Jim.

He did not show up for work on Monday or Tuesday and came in around 11 am on Wednesday. Louie went up one side of him and down the other saying he can't do that and what's your excuse? Jim said, "I've been a little screwed up since we went on the metric system."

clampett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably the best TV that I have ever seen was on the evening of Nov.8th 2016. I started the evening with the TV off because I was disgusted with the way I thought things were going to turn out, then around 9pm my Daughter texted me and asked me what was going on with the election. I spent the next 5 hours flipping through the channels, I loved how the talking heads would explain that their is still a little hope that Hillary can still pull this off.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best TV that I have ever seen was on the evening of Nov.8th 2016. I started the evening with the TV off because I was disgusted with the way I thought things were going to turn out, then around 9pm my Daughter texted me and asked me what was going on with the election. I spent the next 5 hours flipping through the channels, I loved how the talking heads would explain that their is still a little hope that Hillary can still pull this off.
I so wish someone had video of Hillary's meltdown when she finally realized she wasn't going to win ....

Rating - 92%
23   2   0
That night was absolutely spectacular. I don’t think I slept that night.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Watching Babylon 5 again, just hit what I feel is one of my favorite scenes. Curious if folks have anything else they would like to share.

Background: G'Kar is a former ambassador, turned political prisoner, turned religious/philosophical figure. His people have been slaughtered, enslaved, and oppressed by a much more powerful empire until they waged a war of liberation to throw the other empire out.

A student askes G'Kar, "What is truth, and what is God"

G'Kar replies:

"If I take a lamp, and shine it towards the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth, for understanding. Too often we assume that the light on the wall is God. But the light is not the goal of the search. It is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search, who does not bring a lantern with him, sees nothing.

"What we perceive as God, is mearly the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light, pure and unblemished, not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume we are the centre of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do. Or we turn to look at our shadow - and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose. Which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all it's beauty and in all its flaws, and in so doing better understand the world around us".

View: https://youtu.be/N_oQkSh2lq8
Good scene. But incorrect. Many better thinkers have spoken about this.
But it was a good scene.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Every episode.

Before it went off Netflix, I tried to watch the whole thing. I stopped somewhere in the middle back when it was new. So I started watching again. I've never seen a rerun of the show. Just it's first run back in the 90's.

I made it about as far as I did teh first time - Season 4. I was shocked. I swore I watched longer. Nope. That was it. Plot lines got crazy. It wasn't worth it even with her hair and pokies.

Gosh, I've watched paint dry that was more exciting and seen a snail move faster than that show. The only good thing about that show was Micheal Kenneth Williams - because I love that guy in just about everything he does. (Except that last season on Boardwalk Empire which wasn't his fault.)

Homicide Snooze on the Streets was just as gritty and boring. I wonder if it's a Baltimore thing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here I thought the best Babylon 5 scene was when J'kar was told someone was out to assassinate him and in the background of a minbari religious ceremony you can see his hand switching fruits with Ivannova

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gosh, I've watched paint dry that was more exciting and seen a snail move faster than that show. The only good thing about that show was Micheal Kenneth Williams - because I love that guy in just about everything he does. (Except that last season on Boardwalk Empire which wasn't his fault.)

Homicide Snooze on the Streets was just as gritty and boring. I wonder if it's a Baltimore thing.
Hey we're all entitled to our own opinions but I found every episode to be intelligent and captivating. There's a reason it's regarded to be the greatest show ever made...I for one agree with that.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey we're all entitled to our own opinions but I found every episode to be intelligent and captivating. There's a reason it's regarded to be the greatest show ever made...I for one agree with that.
+1 Not a bad episode in the bunch and the way the whole series is neatly tied up at the end is shear artistry.

Top Bottom