• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turtles

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I was at Harvard twice in the last few days and saw 3 turtles. There was a big snapping turtle in the middle of the road at the machinegun range. I moved it with a shovel because I'd like to keep all my digits. There was also a small box turtle a little farther down the road. There was a dark spot on the backstop at the 100 today. I'm glad I walked up to see what it was before I shot at it. It was another big snapping turtle laying eggs in the sand.

I was at Harvard twice in the last few days and saw 3 turtles. There was a big snapping turtle in the middle of the road at the machinegun range. I moved it with a shovel because I'd like to keep all my digits. There was also a small box turtle a little farther down the road. There was a dark spot on the backstop at the 100 today. I'm glad I walked up to see what it was before I shot at it. It was another big snapping turtle laying eggs in the sand.
we had at least two of the Blanding's run over yesterday, including one on the main entrance road :(

It's not uncommon during the first week in June to see 'em emerging, crossing roads, returning to the same general area where they, themselves were born, i.e. hatched.

Each year I have a couple of snappers who come out of the woods that abuts a large lake to return to my backyard to dig their nest and drop 30 or so eggs. In 30-45 days, depending on the temperature and weather the little hatchlings emerge and make their way to the woods. IMO it's quite an interesting feat to watch.

It's not uncommon during the first week in June to see 'em emerging, crossing roads, returning to the same general area where they, themselves were born, i.e. hatched.

Each year I have a couple of snappers who come out of the woods that abuts a large lake to return to my backyard to dig their nest and drop 30 or so eggs. In 30-45 days, depending on the temperature and weather the little hatchlings emerge and make their way to the woods. IMO it's quite an interesting feat to watch.
Excellent excuse to get that game camera you've been wanting but couldn't justify [wink]

Be careful on the roads. If there is a turtle in the road, move him in the direction they were heading. There is info on safely moving snappers. Do NOT grab them by the tail.

Yah, HSC is a regular wildlife viewing area...

most of the nests get dug up and eggs eaten by raccoons etc...

The ones that are near the pond seem to have suffered that fate this year...

There was a large raccoon parked out by the entrance to the club house - didn't seemed upset by my presence; I suspect it is being well fed.

Back
Top Bottom