Turkey Stickers

Ok, so I just came off the "only in MA" thread and someone referenced "safety stickers" for turkey hunting that must be visible when you sight down your barrel.

Does anyone have a link to this autistic law?

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/18MAAB_LR2.pdf

WILD TURKEY

Permit required. Official safety sticker must be adhered to rearm such that it is visible to the hunter when sighting down the barrel (typically placed on the tang). If new or replacement sticker is needed, send self-addressed, stamped envelope to any DFW office. Spring hunting hours: 1⁄2 hour before sunrise to 12:00 noon. Fall hunting hours: 1⁄2 hour before sunrise to 1⁄2 hour after sunset except as noted in WMA Reg. #10 (page 27).

Last edited:
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/18MAAB_LR2.pdf

WILD TURKEY

Permit required. Official safety sticker must be adhered to rearm such that it is visible to the hunter when sighting down the barrel (typically placed on the tang). If new or replacement sticker is needed, send self-addressed, stamped envelope to any DFW office. Spring hunting hours: 1⁄2 hour before sunrise to 12:00 noon. Fall hunting hours: 1⁄2 hour before sunrise to 1⁄2 hour after sunset except as noted in WMA Reg. #10 (page 27).

Is there an actual MGL or CMR that states this or is a magazine with paid advertisements the best reference we have?

This rule/law is so stupid I want to see where and how it was created.

I think it may fall under Section 5, linked above...

Section 5. The director ...may make rules and regulations relating to ... all other matters pertaining to such open season as he may deem necessary...

My foggy recollection is this came about after a turkey hunter was shot some years back, and there was discussion about full camo, safety, etc. etc. The stupid sticker was an olive branch of sorts so the powers that be could say they did something. I have had EPO's ask to see mine on several occasions and always had it, so I can't tell you what the fine is, lol. Rest assured there is one if they want you, and it will stick. I assume it would be akin to not having a waterfowl stamp...

I guess I must be retarded, because even with all this good info I still don't understand how this is legitimate law or rule.

Is there a penalty for not having a sticker?

Legitimate is all relative. How much you will have to pay? I have no idea. But you may get a ticket if it isn't there. I suppose that depends on the EPO you run across. Like most professions most are decent; some are jack wagons.

Bob

This is where it is located in the CMR
3.02(9)(j): Hunting of Wild Turkey in Massachusetts
j) Safety Sticker Requirement. A person shall not hunt wild turkey with or by means of a shotgun nor have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless such person has obtained a safety sticker as provided by the Director and applied said sticker to his shotgun in such a manner as to be visible to the shooter when sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. The Director is hereby authorized to provide such safety stickers of a type and design as he may deem appropriate.

321 CMR 3.00: Hunting

I guess I must be retarded, because even with all this good info I still don't understand how this is legitimate law or rule.

Is there a penalty for not having a sticker?
Before I even post here I agree with you that the regulation is silly.

However, as to your question of the regulations validity......regs state you have to have 500 square inches of hunter orange on while hunting deer during shotgun season and a hunter orange hat on your head while hunting pheasant and nobody questions the validity of those regulations. Why would you think this regulation would not have any validity?

Is there an actual MGL or CMR that states this or is a magazine with paid advertisements the best reference we have?

This rule/law is so stupid I want to see where and how it was created.
FYI.....that "magazine with paid advertisements" is the abstract of Mass hunting regulations. Its the "bible" for hunting regs to keep you from having a bad day with the boys in green. It is the official regulations and is published by f and g. Most states publish them with advertisements that way.

Before I even post here I agree with you that the regulation is silly.

However, as to your question of the regulations validity......regs state you have to have 500 square inches of hunter orange on while hunting deer during shotgun season and a hunter orange hat on your head while hunting pheasant and nobody questions the validity of those regulations. Why would you think this regulation would not have any validity?
I'm an avid hunter and found out about the rule by receiving a 120$ fine when a state trooper was parked behind my vehicle when I came out of the woods with a tagged bird but no green sticker. He couldn't even tell me where to get one but made me wait until a fish and game officer could arrive to issue me a violation. So that's the point. Not whether it's debated.

I'm an avid hunter and found out about the rule by receiving a 120$ fine when a state trooper was parked behind my vehicle when I came out of the woods with a tagged bird but no green sticker. He couldn't even tell me where to get one but made me wait until a fish and game officer could arrive to issue me a violation. So that's the point. Not whether it's debated.
A warning might have been the better route here, especially on such a backwards ass regulation.

What is the point? I'm not sure where your going with this. Yes it's a dumb rule. But.....its clearly stated in the abstract that you need the sticker and also how to get them.

I would also say you should have been given a warning. He'll if I were the green suited I'd keep some in my truck and hand em out. But.....it is in the abstract.

I would fine you two hundred for putting the dollar sign on the right.
It goes here: $120.

FYI.....that "magazine with paid advertisements" is the abstract of Mass hunting regulations. Its the "bible" for hunting regs to keep you from having a bad day with the boys in green. It is the official regulations and is published by f and g. Most states publish them with advertisements that way.

There is a disclaimer somewhere that the abstract are just that - abstracts - and are not the actual text of the law. It's a layman's version of the law, and it's a good, though not authoritative, guide. It's NOT perfect, but if you're keeping to what it says, it's likely that an EPO will not get nasty.

There is a disclaimer somewhere that the abstract are just that - abstracts - and are not the actual text of the law. It's a layman's version of the law, and it's a good, though not authoritative, guide. It's NOT perfect, but if you're keeping to what it says, it's likely that an EPO will not get nasty.
Rule of thumb: if a peace officer consults a glossy digest,
you're screwed - the law you're charged with may not even exist.

Rule of thumb: if a peace officer consults a glossy digest,
you're screwed - the law you're charged with may not even exist.
I asked an EPO at a hunter ed class for a "clarification" - he'd said that a pump shotgun was a large-cap - and he consulted his smart phone, and saw that I was right. The real question is: was he online, or was that on his phone, and what would have happened were we in the boonies, with no cell service?

I asked an EPO at a hunter ed class for a "clarification" - he'd said that a pump shotgun was a large-cap - and he consulted his smart phone, and saw that I was right. The real question is: was he online, or was that on his phone, ...
(Cue Hugh Laurie singing "Mystery").

... and what would have happened were we in the boonies, with no cell service?
(Cue clang of cell door).

Back
Top Bottom