• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Season - Report:

ccm75

NES Member
Did a little unplanned gobbler recon today.

Hadnt really planned on going out until next week, but today I took the dog on a run in the 400 acre WMA behind our house and ran into some birds that may be there in the am.

It was 1:00pm and I took a diaphram call along just for the hell of - practice while walking along the trails. Dog was ramming around, dragging tree branches and splashing in the creek. I'd stop and call every once in a while and bingo...2 toms responded with some loud gobbling at the same time. I talked to them for a little while and they were actually coming closer even with the dog thrashing around! Horny I guess!!

I will be back in there before sunrise to see what I can see. Bagged a 20 pounder in there last year. Will let you know how I make out.

Anyone else going out on Monday?

I think i am gonna head out on thursday let things calm down a little hopefully catch the toms after they get relaxed a little bit again after the rush...

Sounds like a good plan. It's pretty guiet where I am.

Went out this morning and got one gobbling but he was too far off and wouldnt move. Was not able to pursue him due to some urban development and a river....Nice morning to be out though.

Good luck

Hunted turkey for my first time this morning. I managed to call a bird in and talk to him for about an hour, but I couldn't get him close enough for a shot. I am going back for him in the AM and he is gonna be toast :D

I had 2 of them talking to me this morning for about 15 minutes when my wife let the dogs out. I didn’t hear a thing after that. I'll try again monday but this time I'll chain the dogs in the yard before I leave.

Anybody having a turkey sandwich right about now?
I'm missing the season 'cause my back's blown up, so, I depend on your success for vicarious enjoyment. [grin]

Well, I have been on two toms this year. All three times they have spooted me and hit the hills. Last time I got them with in 60 yards. Basicly I am getting there too late. With sunrise around 5:30 I can't get there early enough to set up my decoys and start from there. Its funny the hens just sit there and watch me and these 2 toms chase each other around.
Last week I thought that I had gotten there early enough but when I started to move towards the field that I hunt I heard them. That forces me to just stop there and start calling with out putting down decoys.

I got to the WMA at like 5:15 while weather.com says sunrise is 5:30AM, but its already getting bright.
Looks like we all need to wake up at least half an hour earlier to be able to set up decoys and blinds..,

Back
Top Bottom