Turkey Hunting

Anyone gearing up for Turkey season?

where are some good areas to hunt turkey? I live in Billerica.

Is it easier to find public land or get permission to hunt private land?

How do you figure out who owns the land you want to get permission to hunt?

Thanks

Thanks

I strongly suggest trying Middlesex Turnpike about 100yds south of the Concord Rd intersection. Darn things are always blocking traffic there!! [grin]

go to masswildlife.com and look at the WMA maps and if you can go around and ask permision to hunt private land.

What he said.

Also go to the town hall, usually the building department will have a record of who owns what. Go in with an address or a descriotion of where it is and chances are they'll know what you're talking about.

As for hunting the birds, If you can find the roost tree you're golden.

I'm starting to scout places where I saw them while I was out for deer last year.

i am taking my hunters education now to be ready for turkey season. i am going to check out the WMAs and see if i can locate some private land too.

good luck to everyone

i am taking my hunters education now to be ready for turkey season. i am going to check out the WMAs and see if i can locate some private land too.

good luck to everyone
If you're in MA, I hope you're taking that course real soon:
Wild Turkey - Applications and fee should be mailed by March 15 for spring season. Required safety stickers are available from MassWildlife offices upon request only. Application is located on duplicate slip of hunting/sporting license.

Thanks

Ever wonder why all the trucks are parked along the road near Hollands junk yard?

Yep, there are turkeys in them there hills...

We get them cleaning up under my wife's bird feeders all winter. I've thought about a head shot with a pellet rifle, but at this point it would be like shooting a pet.

Turkeys seem to make themselves scarce once you have a shotgun in your hand. But, they are everywhere nowadays, find a good spot and put in your time.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get off my ass today or tomorrow and get my license and app in.

Dang, I fogots to get me one of them thar safety stickers for my new turkey health management tool.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_turkey.htm

13. SAFETY STICKER:
A person shall not hunt wild turkey by means of a shotgun, or have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless that person has obtained a "safety sticker" as provided or approved by the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife and affixed the sticker to his shotgun in such a manner that the sticker is visible to the shooter while sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. Safety stickers are not required of persons hunting turkey by archery.

Dang, I fogots to get me one of them thar safety stickers for my new turkey health management tool.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_turkey.htm

13. SAFETY STICKER:
A person shall not hunt wild turkey by means of a shotgun, or have a shotgun in his possession while hunting wild turkey, unless that person has obtained a "safety sticker" as provided or approved by the Director of Fisheries and Wildlife and affixed the sticker to his shotgun in such a manner that the sticker is visible to the shooter while sighting down the barrel of the shotgun. Safety stickers are not required of persons hunting turkey by archery.

What a stupid thing.

Why for turkey but nothing else?

It seems some hunters seeking turkeys as their prey have instead taken shots at humans. The sticker is there to remind them that a turkey permit does not allow one to bag a human.

-------------

Also:

5. HUNTING HOURS:
(a) the spring hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 12:00 noon;
(b) the fall hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, except on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant or quail season, where the hunting hours are from sunrise to sunset.

I don't get out of work until noon. And I have Sundays off but not Saturdays. I'll have maybe four days in the field this coming season to bag a gobbler. [thinking]

well as long as i get the sticker all the humans in the woods are safe!! hopefully no one forgets to put that sticker on or we are in trouble... LOL

It seems some hunters seeking turkeys as their prey have instead taken shots at humans. The sticker is there to remind them that a turkey permit does not allow one to bag a human.
well as long as i get the sticker all the humans in the woods are safe!! hopefully no one forgets to put that sticker on or we are in trouble... LOL

[rofl][rofl][laugh2][rofl2][rofl2][banana]

13. SAFETY STICKER:

BETTER WATCH OUT FOR ALL THOSE BOW HUNTERS

Why for turkey but nothing else?

The thinking is that it'd remind some yahoo right before they slap the trigger to verify their target. Sort of the equivalent of a surgeon tying a string to their finger to remind themselves not to remove vital organs; kind of fundamental.
Problem is that there are so many people "stalking" turkeys(big no no) or otherwise moving through the woods while others have settled in and, as in most accidents, people get all excited about the movement and pop off a shot.

Last edited:
Problem is that there are so many people "stalking" turkeys(big no no) or otherwise moving through the woods while others have settled in and as in most accidents people get all excited about the movement and pop off a shot.

Yep, and that's why I'll be all ablaze in orange anytime I'm moving. And, I'll be sure to tie up some orange markers near my setup.

My back field the other morning...
IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

If you are worried about getting your permit back in time and have missed the 3/15 deadline - you can stop into the Westboro Headquarters and buy one over the counter.

And, you can get the sticker to place on your gun!! What an insult - how stupid do they think we are?

Back
Top Bottom