Turkey hunting

So I am going to attempt to do some turkey hunting this year, I'm pretty sure I have all my "basic" needs ( yes even the silly green sticker ).
My question is what size shot are you guys using? I think the abstracts said numbered shot between 4 and 7. I've been practicing with number 7 because it's what has been cheapest, but with only a few weeks to go should I pattern in with something else?

Thanks in advance.

Most guys I know that hunt turkey go with 4 or 5. Spend a little gime at the range patterning the gun......what choke are you planning to use? Full is the most open I'd go.......see if you can find an extra full choke. Try them at the range though......sometimes an extra full will actually have a more open pattern than full depending on the gun and load you are using. Lot more to turkey gun than the size of the shot.......

I shoot #6 out of my extra-full choke. The first year I went I used a full choke; while I did kill the bird I had to put it down when I got up to it. Ever since then I've used an Extra-Full choke. The first shot drops the bird in place and I've come home with every turkey I've ever shot at.

Here is a good guide to patterning your gun for turkey:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0634/ANR-0634.pdf

The only change is I patterned my at 50 yards vs. the 40 that the article suggest. But I also checked it at 20 & 30 so I would know how my pattern changes at the different ranges.

5 full choke. Never had a failure to down the Tom. Used longbear XR is year and it gave me another 5-8 yards. Dont forget to take some time to pattern your gun otherwise you could be chasing a Tom around

Sent from the blind

Back
Top Bottom