• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Hunting

I think out in the woods is a good place to start...

.............seriously though, what hunter would share his spots?
This attitude is why hunting is a dying sport. When I was growing up it was the more the merrier now its every man for himself. OP if you are in central Ma I can give you a few spots in the West Boylston/Berlin area to scout.

This attitude is why hunting is a dying sport. When I was growing up it was the more the merrier now its every man for himself. OP if you are in central Ma I can give you a few spots in the West Boylston/Berlin area to scout.

No offense, but I bet when you were growing up there was not sprawling sub developments in every town, congestion, and nearly as many hunters as there are now.

This was the field across the street the other day. I took this through my spotting scope with my phone. I think some people have already dipped into the flock.

ce00e6f6-9b4e-4955-837d-760dce4d1809.jpg

Last edited:
[cerberus];3108993 said:
No offense, but I bet when you were growing up there was not sprawling sub developments in every town, congestion, and nearly as many hunters as there are now.

This was the field across the street the other day. I took this through my spotting scope with my phone. I think some people have already dipped into the flock.

ce00e6f6-9b4e-4955-837d-760dce4d1809.jpg
Im 35 and there were twice as many hunters as there are now. Growing up my father, uncles, friends and I would all head into the woods together. If we were lucky a few of us got deer. We all helped track, all helped butcher, and all enjoyed tenderloins on the grill at the end of the day. Sharing the experience and listening to all the stories of the monster that got away is all part of hunting for me.

Yea but they were friend and relatives not strangers. I don't give out where I hunt and will only offer to take close friends. I don't have much time to hunt so I like to maximize my success.

Yea but they were friend and relatives not strangers. I don't give out where I hunt and will only offer to take close friends. I don't have much time to hunt so I like to maximize my success.
To me it is no different then turning someone on to shooting. If I give someone a lead on a spot (not my spot but a good spot) and he is successful then next year maybe he will turn someone else on to hunting. Its how we keep the sport alive. If someone new to hunting gets treated like he is trying to steal something from you every time they ask for help it makes hunters look like a$$ holes and turns others off from hunting.

Thank you to all of those you are willing to help. Sorry to those who were insulted. I am just trying to get more involved in hunting.

I totally disagree , there are fewer hunters today than thirty years ago, But less land available for hunting is packing more hunters into smaller areas. In Mass the hunter population is 1/3 to 1/2 what it once was. If you need a place in south eastern mass i can give you a few spots to try .

You should be out every evening this week, trying different spots to learn where they roost. If you know what trees they're sleeping in, you can get into position pre-dawn to take advantage.

Google "turkey hunting basics" you'll get a lot of hits. Do you have good camo? Calls? Have you patterned your shotgun with a good choke and a few kinds of ammo?

Where's Melrose?? What woodsy areas are there, possibly with fields? Have you approached any land owners? It's a bit late now...

Good luck. Go green here on NES. & join us in the hunting and fishing forum (where this thread should be).

- - - Updated - - -

Come sit in my front yard

Where is this front yard, exactly??

Thank you to all of those you are willing to help. Sorry to those who were insulted. I am just trying to get more involved in hunting.

Go into the woods. Seriously spend time finding placed to hunt and ask land owners for permission. If you don't like scouting or spending time in the woods you'll never fully enjoy hunting.

If your in the area look into Camp Edwards down in Bourne. I know they let guys in for deer hunting, not positive on Turkey hunting but there is alot of Turkey down on there on the base.

Remember to really identify your target, not just shoot at a patch of color. It took a lot of work to get MA to allow camo during turkey season. One accident and it will be back to blaze orange, and the accompanying lack of bagging any turkeys!!!

Sorry for preaching.

I would love any spot. Hunted deer last year in Wellfleet but had no luck. Great ducks down there though.

I spend a good amount of time hiking in Wellfleet year-round and occasionally hunt there during Autumn and Winter. If you're looking for a place to hunt deer next season, send me a PM because my two hunting buddies and I go to a place out there where there a lots of deer. We've seen them from far off, stepped in their droppings, seen their sign, heard them crashing away from us but have not gotten a shot off in this particular area. We could use another guy to help stalk/ drive. I do go turkey hunting but I'm not as serious about it as deer/ waterfowl. Turkey seems to be the most difficult game to hunt. You wouldn't think it when you see them hanging out in peoples' yards or on the side of the highway. I've never even seen one where one could be shot, but I don't spend enough time scouting.

Go into the woods. Seriously spend time finding placed to hunt and ask land owners for permission. If you don't like scouting or spending time in the woods you'll never fully enjoy hunting.

Right, this is especially true for turkey hunting. The main reason I never spend enough time scouting for turks is because the beginning of the season coincides with when the stripers start coming through! I'll take striper fishing with bait and a beer on a high tide and full moon over turkey hunting any day. [wink]

Spent yesterday in the woods in Georgetown. Looks like a good duck spot but didn't see any turkeys. And thanks for the heads up about going green. I was. I will log in from my computer and renew. Thanks to everyone. And that stripper trip sounds awesome. Everyone has been really helpful. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom