turkey hunting

I prefer Realtree Hardwoods Green, although the new APG (All purpose green) will be in my wardrobe soon. Of course it will depend on your local flora. Happy hunting!

gobble-gobble

HI I 'm new to this forum but I do Turkey hunt. With a gun and a bow. Yes the flora of where you are is important. Also get a nice vest with pockets and a comfortable seat for your butt! Lot's of sitting while you call. As you may or may not know calling Turkey to you is the only legal way to hunt them, so make sure you are gonna be comfortable sitting on the ground as opposed to standing or sitting on a seat in a treestand. I feel this is more important in Clothing than anything else.
I like the real tree and the mossy oak, I also have a Ghille suit that is simply awsome! Folks look at me as I walk out like I was gonna snipe. lol
Practice sitting and shooting with out any movement. I have had those birds fly away on me just as I was lowering my head to the firearm. Twitchy little bastards. But stupid sometimes. [rofl]
ALso use hen calls instead of Gobbler calls, Another hunter may mistake you for a gobbler then you guys will just be calling to each other all damm morning.[laugh]
Good luck this spring and sorry if I gave you info you already know, I just love Turkey hunting!!!!

For SAFETY, Do not carry anything that has the colors RED, WHITE or BLUE. People who are STALKING Turkeys and hear them will shoot at those colors.
As Instructors we go over the previous years accidents and try to find ways to prevent it from happening again.
If you are sitting against a tree , dressed in Cammo (head to toe) and Calling. Someone else may be STALKING and as they approach your area and they hear the calls get louder, they are prepared to shoot. Several years ago the designer of the Diaphram Call was hunting in Manchester Vt Area and was doing exactly as I described. When he took a WHITE Diaphram out of his mouth and was replacing it with a RED one, a 17 year old kid shot him, at just a few yards, directly in the face. He was KILLED instantly and the kid swore he was shooting at a Turkey. Because of the cammy the kid ONLY saw limited movement, and the colors associated with a Turkey and fired at the movement.
Be SAFE DO not carry anything of those colors.
If you see another Hunter, try to acknowledge their presence or leave the area.

You can work OWl Calls late in the afternoon before the Turkeys go to roost and they will gobble at you. That is where they will be the next morning.

Be careful, it is said that a Turkey has 8 times the hearing of a human and 10 times the eyesight. A Deer will look at a hunter and think he is a stump, a Turkey will look at a stump and think it is a hunter. They can do 45 mph on the ground and get airborne in as much time as it takes for you to blink and they can do 55 mph in the air. Awesome birds. Ben Franklin wanted the Turkey to be the National Bird instead of the Eagle. Awesome. My firs thunt, years ago, I stood ther with my box call in one hand and a shotgun in the other and watched two LARGE Toms fly over head, you could hear the sinew in their wings stretch with each stroke.

Last edited:
nice

Nice post Wingwiper, nice to see teachers here. Great post about the colors. At the archery class I took in RI one year, the instructor talked about that. We all just kinda looked at each other and gulped.

Jim I also use an owl call to look for gobblers. Putttin them to bed works or you could also go EEEEARLY in the A.M. and listen for them. Before the sun comes up they are still in the trees. (Yes they fly) You can get a "Shock Gobble" out for them by Hooting or maybe a crow call or even a damm car door slamed shut will get a gobble out of them.
One deer season I was out early going to my tree stand, I dropped my pack and got a shock gobble in the middle of October. You would be suprised at what you find if you listen hard enough.
Mr Twigg the only way to hunt a Turkey legal and safetly as Wingwiper will probably agree with me is calling them in. Stalking will get you shot. As we saw in the previous post. (By the way Wingwiper I just went to look at all my calls' colors. [thinking] ) lol
In Fall season there is another technique in which you spook a flock and then call them back in. Ive done this (without success lol) with a bow. But I won't do it in spring season.
Jim just look for a book on turkey hunting, you will find a lot of info. It's very different than deer, and a lot of fun. I have read one called "Turkey hunting tactics" great read. Nice pics too. Has a great section on Muzzleloading turkey. Just in case you want to make it even more difficult than it already is.

Last edited:
. My firs thunt, years ago, I stood ther with my box call in one hand and a shotgun in the other and watched two LARGE Toms fly over head, you could hear the sinew in their wings stretch with each stroke.

That is awsome. my blood chilled just reading that. That's a good hunt. I wonder if Ole Ben Franklin hunted?

Mr Twigg the only way to hunt a Turkey legal and safetly as Wingwiper will probably agree with me is calling them in. Stalking will get you shot.

Shoulda added "Not that I would, but..." +1 on the getting shot. Kinda takes the fun outta the day. [shocked]

...you spook a flock and then call them back in.

I seem to be good at the first part of this, callin 'em back is another story - for me anyway. [rolleyes]

Flying Timber

Turkey Hunting was a Big Passion of mine for many years, until the woods filled up with other hunters.

In the early days of Turkey Hunting, I did stalk a few and get them. Now there are many more people into the sport and it is not recommended to stalk. It is a Sport you will fall in Love with and I have missed more shots because I was captivated in watching instead of shooting them.

To cook them, put them in a Paper bag and some Beer, cook slowly with low heat and make sure they are not exposed to air. You will taste a meat that is out of this world, nothing like Store bought or domestic. I also Wrap em tight in Tin Foil and cook them over Hot coals on a BBQ pit.

flyingtimber, I do prefer to call em In, thereis about 18 different calls and plenty of CDs with the calls on them. I prefer a Box Call other people have Mastered the Diaphram. Your choice, have fun and enjoy the Hunt, you will get addicted very easily.

Wing wiper, thanks for the post.

Yeah I just started getting "used" to a mouth call. And you are right I am getting very addicted. lol

Last season in the fall about a week after deer season I saw a whole flock just hanging around near one of my deer spots. I was laughing because the fall turkey week had just ended. But like you said earlier, I just had fun watching those birds.
Can't wait until spring. I learned so much last year and I can't wait to learn more this year.

So how long ago to you think stalking the birds was not prohibited?

Last edited:
Flyingtimber

Turkey Hunting was started in Vermont in the late 70s and up until probably about the mid 80s, I don't recall Stalking as being PROHIBITED. Once a few AVOIDABLE hunting Accidents got logged in, things changed.

I started Turkey hunting in the late 70s and hunted them until about the late 90s.

I watched flocks grow from about a dozen birds to well over a 100. At first the permits were FREE and no one was hunting them, then the permits went to $5 and a few more hunted them. Now I think the permit is $20+ and everyone hunts them. They are in GREAT Abundance around here.

I would find more of them on the SUNNY SIDE of a Powerline Hill side GORGING themselves on GRASSHOPPERS and CRICKETS while I was Partridge hunting. They will stay with in an area and not leave it by far. They would be in the Cow grazing Power Line Swath, near the Pines in Late Afternoon and up in the Cornfields during the day. Cows and Turkeys seem to have a link, I found. The Turkeys will scrape the dried up Cow Chips and eat the bugs and worms underneath. So if you can find a RURAL Powerline Swath, that is surrounded by Pines and Hardwoods, that had Cows in the Swath, have Cornfields within a mile or two and is Sunny in late afternoon, you will probably hit the Jackpot and Turkeys will be close by.

It is an awesome FUN sport and they are an AWESOME BIRD.

I raised the Bronze Turkeys for many years and would Practice my calls with them. It was funny, I would do a Head Count at night and in the morning I may have a few extra running around, Wild ones would come and join them.

Hey Legal Eagles!

Here is a question for you.
Do they mean #1 and#2 and #3 and #4 or is it
#1 or #2 or #3 or #4?

I have a hole bunch of Turkys in my yard (only a couple Acreas) just waiting for cranberry sauce. [laugh]

From the Maine State Fish & Game laws

"Any private landowner is eligible to hunt Spring Turkeys on their own land without a turkey hunting permit if: 1) that person owns a particular piece of land that is 25 or more contiguous acres in size and is located within the turkey hunting zone designated for the season that they wish to hunt; 2) that person is permanently domiciled on that land; 3) the land is managed for the raising and selling of dairy cattle, dairy products, or beef cattle; and 4) the land is open to hunting including hunting by permission. Any family member permanently domiciled on that land is also eligible to hunt Spring Turkeys on that land without a permit. A family member means any family member of legal hunting age, including spouse, children, grandchildren, etc. who resides on the property. A landowner must provide proof of eligibility if requested by an agent of the commissioner. All other standard reporting and tagging procedures are required. Turkey may be taken by a landowner meeting these requirements during any open week of the season."

LEGAL METHOD FOR TAKING TURKEY: Only shotgun gauges 10 through 20 using shot sizes 4 through 6, or bow and arrow may be used to hunt Spring Turkeys in Maine. Electronic calling devices are legal.

ILLEGAL HUNTING METHODS: No person may use dogs, bait, live decoys, or traps or other devices intended or designed for the purpose of capturing or ensnaring Spring Turkeys. It is unlawful to take a turkey while the turkey is in a tree. A person may not shoot or shoot at a wild turkey decoy of another person.

Does not say anything about Stacking (Still hunting) or shooting a flying bird vs a sitting bird. That would be quite a shot 45 to 55mph flying thru the woods.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunttrap/turkeyspringguide06.htm

Here is a question for you.
Do they mean #1 and#2 and #3 and #4 or is it
#1 or #2 or #3 or #4?

I have a hole bunch of Turkys in my yard (only a couple Acreas) just waiting for cranberry sauce. [laugh]

From the Maine State Fish & Game laws

"Any private landowner is eligible to hunt Spring Turkeys on their own land without a turkey hunting permit if: 1) that person owns a particular piece of land that is 25 or more contiguous acres in size and is located within the turkey hunting zone designated for the season that they wish to hunt; 2) that person is permanently domiciled on that land; 3) the land is managed for the raising and selling of dairy cattle, dairy products, or beef cattle; and 4) the land is open to hunting including hunting by permission. Any family member permanently domiciled on that land is also eligible to hunt Spring Turkeys on that land without a permit. A family member means any family member of legal hunting age, including spouse, children, grandchildren, etc. who resides on the property. A landowner must provide proof of eligibility if requested by an agent of the commissioner. All other standard reporting and tagging procedures are required. Turkey may be taken by a landowner meeting these requirements during any open week of the season."

LEGAL METHOD FOR TAKING TURKEY: Only shotgun gauges 10 through 20 using shot sizes 4 through 6, or bow and arrow may be used to hunt Spring Turkeys in Maine. Electronic calling devices are legal.

ILLEGAL HUNTING METHODS: No person may use dogs, bait, live decoys, or traps or other devices intended or designed for the purpose of capturing or ensnaring Spring Turkeys. It is unlawful to take a turkey while the turkey is in a tree. A person may not shoot or shoot at a wild turkey decoy of another person.

Does not say anything about Stacking (Still hunting) or shooting a flying bird vs a sitting bird. That would be quite a shot 45 to 55mph flying thru the woods.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunttrap/turkeyspringguide06.htm

just thought up a great Turky hunting accessory/Safety Gear. ALWAYS SELECT A CALLING POSITION THAT PROVIDES A BACKGROUND AT LEAST AS WIDE AS YOUR SHOULDERS. Shielding your back, from your head to your waist, will help prevent accidents and will decrease the chances of a Wild Turkey detecting any hunter movement.

Take a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood and cut it in thirds. 2'6" x 4 ft. Take another piece of 1/2 in ply and cut 3 pieces of 2 6" x 2' Glue & screw the 1/2 piece to the 1/4 in piece on the bottom edge. (this is your seat; maybe even put a camo foam custion on it)

drill a couple of holes in the sides 1/4 piece to use as carry handles. and a row of 1/4 inch holes along the top edge to tie in camo netting or cammo canvas( For rain)

Pait the whole board cammo. good project for kids. use local leaf patterns & colours.

add a couple of 16" bike weels to the bottom and you have a drag cart to haul gear or deer.

how to deploy: Prop up against a tree and bungee cord it. Sit down

Ill post a photo after I make one. Even better if it is made using scrap leftover plywood.

Cost? Negligable.

benifits: Hides the hunter. Makes a nifty windbreak, deer or gear drag, emergency shelter, and shields hunter from stray pelletts.

Hey this would work great for duckhunting in a marsh also!

NOTE: Be sure to use cammo rope/bungee cords etc.. Cammo Everything!

Caution: Disclamer! all Ideas are wildass and not to be construded as safe or recomended for any user of any age,race,creed colour, sex or nationality.

Warning: You may get a splinter when in the general procimity of wood. You may injure yourself using tools. You make like this gizmo and spend way too much time hunting resulting in discharge from employment, divorce or other malidays.

heres a target for those who do not wish to hunt turkeys

no_12_rail_crow.gif

Last edited:
Maybe your area of hunting is flat and has easy terrain. I would find such a shelter, to be

1. cumbersome getting to the location.

2. It would create dead areas for both Sight and Hearing for the hunter.

3. The hunter within the shelter would have to create movement in order to get a good 360 visual and in so doing the Turkeys would spot the movement and be GONE before the hunter's head would clear a side.

4. Risky if anyone is stalking and looking for sudden movement after doing some calling.

5. Hunter wants to be ALERT and FULLY AWARE of what is going on around him/her.

The restrictions in Maine for hunting on your own property is pretty high. But SOME restrictions for Turkeys, I think is good. it allows the flocks to increase in size without being massacred.

The other day I passed a flock of about 30 birds and at least 5 Toms were fanned out and strutting about.... It was awesome to watch... One had a beard in excess of 8 inches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom