Turkey Hunting - Red Dot or Scope

For all of you turkey hunters out there, do any of you use a scope?

I'm contemplating adding either a red dot (zero magnification), or a 1.5 or possibly 4 power scope that can double as a deer scope in the fall.

Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or sage guidance using either of these for shotgun hunting?

I'm no expert but I use a camo finish Mossberg 535 for turkey & deer with a receiver mounted Tru-Glo 2X Red Dot.

I bought this one from Cabela's last year;
i712366sn02.jpg

They're not shown on the pic but it comes with amber flip-up end caps.
I just sight it in for the loads I'll be hunting with.

Field of view is adequate the tube is bright enough for post-dawn shots, and the brightness of the dot is variable.

Now if I could actually call the birds in I could say I've been successful using this set up. [thinking]

Last edited:
Looks great! Thanks.

How's the field of view on it?

I read reviews on Cabelas and the ranged from "perfect" to "hate it" most of the "hate it" comments seemed to be focused on the FOV.

Looks great! Thanks.

How's the field of view on it?

I read reviews on Cabelas and the ranged from "perfect" to "hate it" most of the "hate it" comments seemed to be focused on the FOV.

Field of view seems ok for me, never bothered to measure / estimate it though.

Specs:

2.5 M.O.A. Red Dot
11 adjustable brightness settings
2X magnification; 27' F. O. V @ 100 yds.
Waterproof / fogproof
Shock-resistant up to .50 cal. muzzleloader
Unlimited eye relief
Uses common CR2032 lithium battery (included)
39 mm tube is 5 1/3" long, weighs 8 3/4 ozs.

Hope this helps. [grin]

RED Dot

I bought a RED Dot to go on my sons new Mossberg 20 ga pump.

However the mounting bracket that I bought seperate does not fit the contour of the mossberg 20ga reciever . It is pre drilled and tapped.

They sell a really sloppy looking large mounting bracket to fit shotguns.

what Im thinking is just designing a new flush mounting bracket (Thats the easy part) and finding someone with a milling machine to make it.

Ill draw it up and post it here.

any of you guys make chips?

Oh ya: If yu dont have a need for the Turkey Featehrs; just send them my way. Ill tie up a bunch of Fishing Flies with them and send you some in return for the feathers. Same offer goes for Buck Tails

Capt Walt

Last edited:
NICE!!!

Got a couple in Sagamore too!

My wife passes a a dozen every other day on 495.

And to think I go to New York to hunt....figure.[thinking]

Oh... 4 moa dot

Ya, when you're out driving, they seem to be everywhere, but when you're actually trying to eat them, THEY KNOW IT!

There are few things as cool as watching 30 turkeys simultaniously take flight because some boob scared them. Oh wait . . . that was me.

If only I could go gansta drive-by on 'em!

Auto for Turkey

My wife was taking my dog (Lab mix) for a ride in her car last Sunday. As she pulled out of the driveway a Tom Turkey flew into the front of her car and bounced off the hood. As the bird rolled over the passenger side my Dog had her head out the window and got a face full of feathers.

The damm bird got up and flew away.

If you hit them with your car I believe that you are obligated to Bar-B Que the bird.

There must be 50 Turkey Birds running all around my house. The y know its open season and refuse to come into my back yard. Maybe those signs (25yrds, 50 yrds, 100 yrds) are tipping them off.

If anyone gets a turkey, send me the feathers and Ill tie some nice fishing flies and send you a few.

turkey_head.gif

Back
Top Bottom