• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey Hunting 101?

Brin747

NES Member
I'd appreciate some advice and guidance. My son has decided he wants to try turkey hunting. I've never been a hunter, it's just not something I've had the opportunity to do, but I'm willing to learn and give it a shot with him.

So, where do we start? We have already spent some time on the NH Fish and Game site, so we know the season comes up in spring and we will take a hunter safety course before then.

He's 13, but he's a good sized lad and solid. What gauge shotgun should we look at for him? He wants to buy it himself so something very affordable is what he's looking for.

Are there any good places to read up on tactics and techniques?

Is our best bet to just hire a guide for the first time?

For the age I would think .410, but no clue how those are with turkey, so I'd lean towards 20ga., unless he's not afraid of a tiny bruise and go for the 12ga. Get the long choke, and spend your time with him in the bush to find the turkey prior to the start of the season. Like I learned this year, it makes no sense to hunt turkey where they are not located. Tips and tech: google is your friend, as are youtube vids for calling. Some people are amazing with calls.

Also, shit, thanks for being willing to support his desire. It's a great way to spend time with him. Check out the hunting subforum, there is a link to the NH hunter safety course online, but I really suggest also taking one in person.

That's all I got. When I grew up my stepdad didn't support hunting, so I didn't get a lot of chances to get out unless it was to kill ground hogs. I'm learning all this stuff now as I go along.

NH F&G used to do a class but I don't see anything listed. Big things are don't chase after or try to track the turkey let it come to you. Do not wear red whit or blue. there are a ton of websites out there and there is a guide in NH that does classes.

http://www.northernguideservices.com/Adventures.html#anchor496906

Go to your local Fudd shop there are plenty of people that would be happy to share the knowledge they have.

As for shotgun a 20ga should work nicely but a 410 will take them too, you can get a cheap NEF .410 or 20ga used and you shouldn't need more than 1 shot on a turkey anyway

I'd appreciate some advice and guidance. My son has decided he wants to try turkey hunting. I've never been a hunter, it's just not something I've had the opportunity to do, but I'm willing to learn and give it a shot with him.

So, where do we start? We have already spent some time on the NH Fish and Game site, so we know the season comes up in spring and we will take a hunter safety course before then.

He's 13, but he's a good sized lad and solid. What gauge shotgun should we look at for him? He wants to buy it himself so something very affordable is what he's looking for.

Are there any good places to read up on tactics and techniques?

Is our best bet to just hire a guide for the first time?

MASS has a youth turkey program...http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/yath/yath_home.htm

1. Find a hunter ed class, most of it is common sense, but it's required in most states and you pick up some useful info.
2. A 20gage will work with 3"shells #4,5,6. A 12gage is better and it's only 1 shot.
3. Camo clothing is a must, and I mean head to toe. Even better is a tent blind, good for kids as you can get away with some movement. A padded seat is a must if no tent, they make turkey vests with them incorporated.
4. Get a friction call and practice. They arent difficult to learn but do require some practice and knowledge of clucks, purrs, yelps.
5. Scouting is the obvious. Before spring season, locating them in fields and in roosts at dawn and dusk is best. Get a couple decoys and have fun!
6. Do not buy a gobble call and do not stalk turkeys. You'll get other hunters hunting you, let the turkey come to you.
It's like deer hunting but more action and more fun.

Check out the National Wild Turkey Foundation website. NWTF.org. Lots of good info and lists local chapters for each state.
Good luck and enjoy.

For the gun - If he is a good size lad, I would suggest going with a 12 ga. I've seen turkeys shrug off blasts from 20 ga 3 inch shells before. You would be better served with a tight choke.

As for other details, you might get some spot suggestions if you belong to a rod and gun club up there, otherwise you just need to go out scouting. It is full camo, no orange at all, as turkeys can discern colors and have excellent eyesight. One of my friends loves turkey hunting, he points out it is really the most interactive style of hunting as you are trying to call them in and they will gobble back as they approach you. Good luck.

I am a new shooter, and an even more novice hunter. I went on my first hunts this Spring, turkey hunting with my father-in-law. I had no chances to shoot but had some great times ... and at least one not-so-great time.

Lots of what I read up on for advice has already been stated here, so I"ll add some more.

Definitely take the hunter safety class in person; you will hopefully have at least one instructor there who is into turkey hunting. I had zero interest in turkey hunting until I took my safety class, but they converted me!

Saturdays are crowded. We were hunting on private land with permission of the landowner and still had one unpleasant territorial clash with a hunter, and a couple other situations where we had to move on to find more isolated spots to hunt. Weekdays, not so much.

Sitting there, dead quiet, and hearing a gobble in the distance ... quite a feeling. Calling all morning and not hearing it again? Well, not so exciting, but hey, it's called hunting not shopping! (I'm telling myself this as much as you :) )

Pattern your gun, get a feel for the distances involved. I printed out a few targets which had life-size head/necks of turkeys, mounted them on the cardboard targets, tried at a few different ranges. Turkey shot tends to have a bit of a "boom" to it, so you want to know what you're getting into. I was pretty happy with how I was doing at less than 25 yards, but wasn't really comfortable knowing I'd get a lethal shot at 35 to 40. I wish I had spent more time patterning; it costs a few wasted shells but is a good way to get to know the distances and what your pattern does at different ranges.

We hunted farm areas, mostly private land where we knew the landowners, because my father-in-law's been hunting forever and works contracting and has probably fixed barns for half the town and is related to the other half. Going in cold would be a bit tougher. Still, as the season approaches, take note of where you see the birds. Nobody says you can't go and scout them, even try calling them, before the season starts.

Good luck. I am happy that you're taking your son out to do this! I hope you have a great bonding experience with it, either way.

Back
Top Bottom