• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tuning a superlative arms adjustable gas block

Nico9283

NES Member
Strange issue that I couldn’t figure out… read entire process before suggesting anything please.

Here’s the gas system setup:

11.3 BA .556 Hanson barrel - carbine length
Superlative arms adj gas block
Melonite BA carbine length has tube
WMD nickel boron BCG
JP captured buffer spring H2 weight

I’m in MA so… NOT suppressed.

Using standard 55g FMJ ball ammo (Norma I believe is what I had on hand)

Followed manufacture’s instructions of starting with block completely closed (turned all the way clockwise until it stops) and then turned 18 clicks counterclockwise to be in full open mode.
Got one or two failures to lock back on last round. Yes, it locks back when manually pulling the bolt back without binding. Mag used was a brand new 10-round Pmag. No I haven’t tried other mags yet, but will do so. For now, I’m writing it off to being a completely new build and needs breaking in and maybe some extra lube.

Turned 2 rotations counter clockwise into bleed off mode, rounds would eject at around 330-4 o’clock but bolt wouldn’t pick up next round. Assuming it wasn’t traveling far back enough? Could H2 buffer be too heavy while using in bleed off mode?

Started over and used again at 18 clicks for full open. Same result: proper cycling and ejection at 3 o’clock but one or two failures to lock back on last round. Again, thinking it just needs to be ran more to break in since sometimes it would lock back on last round. BUT, for gits and shiggles, I asked myself if it was cycling too fast in full open for the bolt to reliably lock back. So, I rotated 6 clicks clockwise into restrictive mode, and ran flawless with 3 o’clock ejection, no failures to pickup next round, and locked back every time on last round. However, I noticed it was pretty gassy in my face. The smell was stronger than what I’m used to with other setups.

So here’s my big question, if it runs correctly while being semi-restricted… why wouldn’t it run correctly in semi-bleed off? Shouldn’t both situations be putting the same amount of gas down the tube but the difference being where the excess is being sent (out the front of the gas block vs the barrel)?

Since I only ran about 75 rounds total while doing this, I’m thinking I should strip her down, clean everything, lube it up heavily, and start again that way I can rule out any initial break-in malfunctions that might’ve been happening in the first few rounds. I know the break in period is several hundred rounds, but I should see less and less malfunctions on the way to 500 rounds as the action gets smoother and smoother.
Should I fool around with maybe changing the buffer weight from an H2 back to standard weight and try in bleed-off mode again? I was always under the impression that carbine length gas systems required an H2… but then it dawned on me that an H2 might be too heavy IF I start restricting or bleeding off some of that back pressure.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and I’ll try to ignore the unavoidable dingbats lol

I'd probably start by putting the default buffer weight in and tweaking
the gas block.

And, I dont have the info in front of me (so I could be wrong) but I dont think the 18 clicks
is 'wide open'. I think it's 'a great place to start'.

I'd probably start by putting the default buffer weight in and tweaking
the gas block.

And, I dont have the info in front of me (so I could be wrong) but I dont think the 18 clicks
is 'wide open'. I think it's 'a great place to start'.
I’m not trying to correct you but it’s fresh in my memory since I was doing this just yesterday. 18 clicks (4.5 rotations) is wide open according to the instructions that came with it.
And an H2 is the default buffer weight for this length gas system according to JP Enterprises directions on which of their buffers to use.

I’ve set up every last detail according to manufacturer’s recommendations for each part used. Now it’s time to adjust to meet the requirements of my overall setup, but I did in fact start from a default setup in all parameters.

So here’s my big question, if it runs correctly while being semi-restricted… why wouldn’t it run correctly in semi-bleed off? Shouldn’t both situations be putting the same amount of gas down the tube but the difference being where the excess is being sent (out the front of the gas block vs the barrel)?

Nope

Strange issue that I couldn’t figure out… read entire process before suggesting anything please.

Here’s the gas system setup:

11.3 BA .556 Hanson barrel - carbine length
Superlative arms adj gas block
Melonite BA carbine length has tube
WMD nickel boron BCG
JP captured buffer spring H2 weight

I’m in MA so… NOT suppressed.

Using standard 55g FMJ ball ammo (Norma I believe is what I had on hand)

Followed manufacture’s instructions of starting with block completely closed (turned all the way clockwise until it stops) and then turned 18 clicks counterclockwise to be in full open mode.
Got one or two failures to lock back on last round. Yes, it locks back when manually pulling the bolt back without binding. Mag used was a brand new 10-round Pmag. No I haven’t tried other mags yet, but will do so. For now, I’m writing it off to being a completely new build and needs breaking in and maybe some extra lube.

Turned 2 rotations counter clockwise into bleed off mode, rounds would eject at around 330-4 o’clock but bolt wouldn’t pick up next round. Assuming it wasn’t traveling far back enough? Could H2 buffer be too heavy while using in bleed off mode?

Started over and used again at 18 clicks for full open. Same result: proper cycling and ejection at 3 o’clock but one or two failures to lock back on last round. Again, thinking it just needs to be ran more to break in since sometimes it would lock back on last round. BUT, for gits and shiggles, I asked myself if it was cycling too fast in full open for the bolt to reliably lock back. So, I rotated 6 clicks clockwise into restrictive mode, and ran flawless with 3 o’clock ejection, no failures to pickup next round, and locked back every time on last round. However, I noticed it was pretty gassy in my face. The smell was stronger than what I’m used to with other setups.

Since I only ran about 75 rounds total while doing this, I’m thinking I should strip her down, clean everything, lube it up heavily, and start again that way I can rule out any initial break-in malfunctions that might’ve been happening in the first few rounds. I know the break in period is several hundred rounds, but I should see less and less malfunctions on the way to 500 rounds as the action gets smoother and smoother.
Should I fool around with maybe changing the buffer weight from an H2 back to standard weight and try in bleed-off mode again? I was always under the impression that carbine length gas systems required an H2… but then it dawned on me that an H2 might be too heavy IF I start restricting or bleeding off some of that back pressure.
Any and all suggestions are welcome and I’ll try to ignore the unavoidable dingbats lol
My superlative never worked to my satisfaction in the bleed off setting. Been using it in the restrictive settings on my 11.3 ( Have the same barrel as you) and there is a definite softenen in the felt recoil and the cycling of the action.

My superlative never worked to my satisfaction in the bleed off setting. Been using it in the restrictive settings on my 11.3 ( Have the same barrel as you) and there is a definite softenen in the felt recoil and the cycling of the action.
Ok cool, I’m going to strip it down for a good first cleaning, relube and go again next weekend starting from scratch. Maybe I’ll start from the opposite way I did.. maybe this time I’ll start with it fully closed and keep opening a little bit more until I get reliable cycling and then maybe an additional click or two to be sure.

What problem are you trying to solve with the adjustable gas block?
I’m not, it’s a new build and we have to pin/weld our muzzle brakes here in MA.. so, I like the idea of starting with an agb that way if I need it, it’s there. The alternative would be running into a gas issue and then I’m stuck with the gas block that I have.
Plus the majority of factory barrels have an oversized gas port that throws more gas down the pipe than is actually necessary..

Back
Top Bottom