• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tumbling media

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
So as not to hijack this thread, what is everyone using for tumbling media?

I am currently using crushed walnut, but sometimes I get some "dusting" on the cleaned cases.

Would corn cob be a better media for a final tumble?

Which is better at removing case lube?

Have you tried putting used dryer sheets cut into strips? They do a good job of keeping the dust to a minimum.

I haven't, but it's worth a try.

Is there a rule of thumb for how many sheets to put in a Dillon CV500? Or how wide the strips need to be?

I use the walnut stuff at the pet stores sold as lizard litter. Yeah sometimes you do get a dusty coating on the brass but it's not too bad. Sometimes polish added helps this otherwise the brass gets clean but looks dull. I tumble for at least 2 hours/batch.

I haven't, but it's worth a try.

Is there a rule of thumb for how many sheets to put in a Dillon CV500? Or how wide the strips need to be?

I picked up the tip here from EddieCoyle and/or Scrivener. I usually take 1 or 2 used sheets (my wife now saves them for me) and tear them into 6 or 8 strips. If I use too many they wrap around the bolt that holds the lid on. It's amazing how much crap they will collect.

Have you tried using Nufinish car wax as a brass polish? That's another little tidbit I picked up here.

I use crushed walnuts, a cap full of NuFinish car polish and a cap full of turpentine. No dust and very clean. I like the dryer sheet idea, Will have to give that a try.

A solvent made from the resin of trees, usually pine.

"Turpentine is an organic solvent, and thus poses many of the same hazards as do other
such substances. Its vapor can irritate the skin and eyes, damage the lungs and respiratory
system, as well as the central nervous system when inhaled, and cause renal failure when
ingested, among other things. It is extremely flammable."

The turpentine keeps the liquid polish from clumping up in the walnuts.

I take a screwdriver and stir the media after I add the polish. I add the polish while the
vibrator is running. I let it run for about five minutes before putting in any brass. (Stir
occasionally before putting the brass in). Then put the brass in and it should not be a
problem. I've never had an issue with the polish doing it this way. Just wipe the blade
of the screwdriver off with a paper towel when you're done. I'm sure there are a number
of different ways to break up the clumps manually but Turp would be the last thing I would use.

Last edited:
I use the walnut stuff at the pet stores

Me too. MUCH cheaper than buying crushed walnut from the reloading places.

Thanks for all the tips.

I used the polish that Dillon sells when I first started reloading, but never bought anymore once the first bottle ran out.

I'm going to try the dryer sheets first and see how that goes. Then maybe then the polish / turpentine.

I use a 50/50 mix of Lyman treated corn cob and corn blast. The CB comes from a sandblasting supply house.

I'm running 3 tumblers an in the Lyman 1200 I add 1 used Bounce drier sheet but in the 2200 and the 2500 I add 2 drier sheets. They extend the life of the media and keep the dust to a minimum. I change the drier sheets with every new tumbler load.

When the tumbling takes more than 4hrs, I change the media.

I've been doing it this way for 8 years and it's successful.

I know that you can wash the media, add a revitalising liquid or a polish, but that thakes too much time.

Back from the dead:

I started tumbling with Lyman treated corn cob (the green stuff) and I found that I could clean cases in very short time. At first I left the thing on for 6-8 hours and started to gradually shorten the time. 4 hours will clean cases just fine. I'm betting 3 hours would as well. Hell maybe even 2.

I've cleaned maybe 18 thousand cases so far with this media and it's pretty much black now.
People mentioned dust and I never thought twice about it. There was none.

Tonight I switched to corn cob media from Beede's in Lowell. First impression was that is DUSTY. Just pouring it into the tumbler caused a small plume of dust.

The individual grains seem less hard than the treated Lyman media.

We'll see how it does in the morning.

I use the corn cob media that came with my small Frankford Arsenal tumbler with a 50/50 mix of Nufinish and odorless mineral spirits in a squeeze bottle.... I give it a shot or two, run it for a minute or so and add the brass..... After a few hours they come out very nice and shiny.....[smile]

Will have to make a run to Beedes for replacement media before too long as it's now starting to get pretty dirty......

I would mention that Bob_J told me, when he was here for reloading class, that a few in his household have allergies to NUTS. So, if any of you have such an allergy, you should stick with the corn cob stuff. The crushed walnut shells would cause problems for those with nut allergies.

For those worried about the dusty corn cob, you should add the mineral spirits and NuFinish liquid car wax combo and shake that for 20 minutes before adding the brass. That should totally eliminate the dust.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I never throw my old media away. I use the old scrungy black crap for doing a rough tumble for brass that has yuckies on it. It's a great way to keep the good stuff for brass that only needs to get polished.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I never throw my old media away. I use the old scrungy black crap for doing a rough tumble for brass that has yuckies on it. It's a great way to keep the good stuff for brass that only needs to get polished.

You might want to re-think this suggestion. The lead content in that media is insane from the reports I have read. I usually run it till its dark then toss it in the trash. No need to get lead poisoning to save a buck.

Last night I ran some brass with my old dirty stuff and then swapped it out to my clean stuff. Made a big difference but I also ran it 3 hours longer.

The individual grains seem less hard than the treated Lyman media.

The hardness comparison is on the bag. As for the dust I find anything (especially cat litter)
is more dusty. When you get a 50 pound bag the dust is relatively small in comparison to
the overall amount of material, but you do get it. Per vibrator amount it seems to me to
be less than comparable medias. YMMV

DSC_3703a.jpg

I actually have some other blasting media at my house. Maybe I should give that a try. It's very heavy in comparison.

I take a screwdriver and stir the media after I add the polish. I add the polish while the
vibrator is running. I let it run for about five minutes before putting in any brass. (Stir
occasionally before putting the brass in). Then put the brass in and it should not be a
problem. I've never had an issue with the polish doing it this way. Just wipe the blade
of the screwdriver off with a paper towel when you're done. I'm sure there are a number
of different ways to break up the clumps manually but Turp would be the last thing I would use.

i agree stay away from the Turpentine.....just let it run a few mins. after adding the polish

Ummmmm the turpentine is for helping to loosen/dissolve the black crap on the brass. It also serves to moisten the tumbling media so as to keep the dust down.

It's a time tested additive to the tumbling media!

Went to Beedes yesterday and picked up a bag of Grit-O-Cob..... Great folks and a pleasure to work with.....

Didn't realize that it came in so many choices of size..... Looked at their samples and picked the one that seemed close to the Frankfort Arsenal stuff I am using now..... 24 grit IIRC....

Hopefully this will work ok......[grin]

Back
Top Bottom