• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

tumbling media?

M1911

NES Member
What are you folks using for media and where are you getting it? I was previously using walnut shells. I've since been using corn, simply because I can find it at the local pet store. But I preferred the way the walnut shells worked.

Corn media from the pet store isn't close to the same as corn cob blast media (which is what is used for case cleaning).

Call Clint Sales in Beverly 978-927-3010 and ask for Grit-o-cobs 10/14 grit size corncob blast media.

Replaced my tumbler media very recently. Before, I would use the walnut shells then corn cob media. Switched to just the corn cob media, with new polish added and it's doing a great job. One less media change and getting nice results (on par with using the two media types). Not to say I wouldn't use the walnut shell in the future...

BTW, you can get the media from Amazon, often with free shipping if you have an Amazon Prime account.

Corn media from the pet store isn't close to the same as corn cob blast media (which is what is used for case cleaning).

Call Clint Sales in Beverly 978-927-3010 and ask for Grit-o-cobs 10/14 grit size corncob blast media.

You like that better than crushed walnut?

I read recently that dried rice made a great tumbling media, and doesn't get stuck in the primer holes like walnut or corncob will. Am going to try it shortly, will let you know how it goes.

Corn cob with some polishing stuff I got from Dillon..works great highly polished cases in just an hour or two in the vibrator..

Dried rice works out only if you want to make lead-flavored rice flour.

I'm currently using walnut, what would I gain by doing a second pass with corn cob blast media? Cleaner brass, or just shinier brass?

I'm currently using walnut, what would I gain by doing a second pass with corn cob blast media? Cleaner brass, or just shinier brass?

Probably nothing. If the walnut is getting your brass clean enough to inspect and not scratch your dies, then it's doing it's job.

I don't get why people want their brass super shiny. A few days after tumbling, the shiny stuff looks just like the not-so-shiny stuff.

I would typically run the brass through once before reloading, then again after. That way anything picked up by the rounds, as being made (some of the projectiles had wax at the base) was removed without a ton of work. Plus, they would feed nice. Also, IME, the brass would remain nice and shiny until you've either handled them a lot (more than you probably should) or until the rounds were fired/used. I even have some reloaded ammo that I made over a decade ago that was sent through the tumbler at the end, that's still shiny.

Last year I picked up a 50lb bag of Lizard Litter walnut bedding on Amazon for like $35 with free Amazon Prime shipping. that with a little NuFinish/Mineral Spirits polishing mix and I'm good to go. the 50lb bag filled two 5gal buckets; it'll take me a while to use it all up.

I tried the rice thing for sh!ts and grins as a quick way to dry out brass after wet tumbling in stainless.

Almost every piece had a grain stuck in the flash hole, and every single one was fully of rice that had to be shaken and tapped out. A real pain in the ass.

Tried it on .38 brass, too, just to get it clean enough to not beat up my dies - didn't 'wow' me. Knocked the dirt and mud out, left the brass pretty dusty. This was all on a jury rigged rotary tumbler, results may vary in a vibratory tumbler, though I doubt it.

Do you load in a progressive or single stage?

If you load in a progressive, just stick a universal decapping die in station one where the sizing die would go. That'll poke any stray media out of the flash holes.

You could also use a finer grain media (20/40) that is too small to stick in a flash hole.

Progressive, for the most part.

The decapper would work if it was only ever in the flash hole - occasionally media will completely fill the primer pocket, preventing me from doing uniforming/swaging and being a general PITA.

I will try the finer grain media, though.

I ordered this from Drillspot last week and it was in my garage 2 days later. Tried it out this weekend and can't believe the difference. My 9mm brass came out looking brand new. I even had some brass that I found in one of my ammo boxes from the late 80's, I can't tell the difference.

I like it so much I am tumbling .40 ACP right now and I don't even reload .40 (but I do collect the brass)...

+1 for Clint sales.

Awesome product. It's way better than the normal corn cob media. Much more consistent grind. Way less dusty fine particles. They do a great job.

I would bet their prices on the 50# grit o cob will beat the drill spot if you pick it locally.

Shipping actually wasn't that bad. Too.

Either way. Way better product for pretty much the same price.

Petco.com often has buy one get one free, buy one get 2 free, or buy 2 get one free deals on lizard litter in various size bags and often with free shipping. I did a 3 bag deal with free shipping. I ordered on a Sunday night and had the stuff sitting on my doorstep Tuesday when I got home from work.

I got a lot of wet, muddy brass. Would'nt it be a good idea to use a coarse walnut for an hour to get the heavy crap off, before using a finer corn cob media and brass polish to finish it off (5-6 hours). Seems like it would be a good idea to preserve the corb cob.

Is it worth it?

Back
Top Bottom