Tumbling Media

Hey guys, I am new to NES. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a reloading media to help me with some really dirty brass. I have a PTR 91 and becuase of the flutes in the chamber, the outside of the brass gets really really dirty from blowback. The regular walnut media with polish from RCBS that I use for everything else just doesnt do the trick. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I use walnut with Flitz. Comes out great, even the crap I dig up at the range. How long are you running them? I leave mine running in the shed usually for a full overnight. I've run a few really nasty batches for a full day and they came back quite shiny.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is it an RCBS tumbler? That's what I'm using.

If you want ludicrous clean nothing beats switching to stainless steel media. Is there any particular reason you're worried about how it looks, or you just picky [wink]

Last edited:
I use the walnut polishing media sold at places like Bass Pro. Its red in color. I also use the finer green for brass that may be stained. I add a small amount of braso to the media and they come out looking like they were hand polished.

I tumble in stainless as well. The thing about it is you are going to have to make a dry box. Chicken wire, standard 60w light bulb, and a pc case fan in a ammo can works well.

I use walnut with Flitz. Comes out great, even the crap I dig up at the range. How long are you running them? I leave mine running in the shed usually for a full overnight. I've run a few really nasty batches for a full day and they came back quite shiny.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is it an RCBS tumbler? That's what I'm using.

If you want ludicrous clean nothing beats switching to stainless steel media. Is there any particular reason you're worried about how it looks, or you just picky [wink]

Yea, it is an RCBS tumbler I talked to my buddy at work today and I think I am just not running it long enough. My .45 and .223 brass are usually done in an hour or two and the .308 that was shot in my AR10 was done in a little over an hour, but I gave this stuff out of my PTR 2-3 hrs and it was still pretty dirty. I am being picky, but I also want it to be pretty clean as the PTR already abuses brass, so I am not sure how it is going to run through the press to begin with, nevermind with it being dirty. I just put a fresh nasty batch in and will run it over night to see how it does. Otherwise, I should probably see if the stuff even reloads well before invest in stainless. Thanks for the help, you guys saved me a lot of trial and error.

Does anybody have a recommendation on what grit media to use? I prefer a mix of corn cob and walnut shell, looking to buy them in bulk:

Walnut grit 24:
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

Walnut grit 12:
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html

Corn cob grit 14/20:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

I've started using 20/40 corn cob.

I wet tumble my rifle brass, which is decapped first. After sizing, I dry tumble it to get rid of the lube. The 20/40 grit is fine enough so that I never even have to think about media getting stuck in the flash hole. It also works dry for pistol cases that I don't wet tumble. I just have to run it longer (over night).

I use lizard litter walnut (which I order from Petco when they have good sales and free shipping) with either a big shot of odor free mineral spirits or hoppes #9 in it to clean real dirty brass in an old midway tumbler. I use the same walnut with Nu-finish and odor free mineral spirits to clean sized rifle brass and finished ammo in a big Lyman turbo tumbler.

I've heard of some people that wash very dirty brass in dish detergent and water.

You can soak it in water with vinegar added, but only for a short period (<15min) or it will make the brass brittle and eat it away.

Back
Top Bottom