Tumbling media corn cob kitty litter NEVER AGAIN!

I use it with both. I've found that with the walnut media, it more than anything cuts the amount of dust to about zero.

For dust, I cut used dryer sheets into about 1" wide strips and throw them in with the media. The go in white and come out dark grey.

I used dryer sheets when I was having static issues, and the media was stuck to the inside of the tumbler, and wouldn't come out. I also used it for dust when I started using Lyman Tuffnut media, but found that it still didn't do enough. When I switched to regular walnut, I found the dust problem to be even worse than with the Tuffnut, and tried adding some Nu-Finish, and was pleased with the results.

Between a covered bowl, media compound and cutting up used dryer strips, I have no dust issues. The dryer strips also trap a lot of the crap that would otherwise contaminate the media, extending its life.

One should definitely takes steps to reduce the dust from ones tumbler.

I've read of several cases (sorry, I can't find links right now) where reloaders with high levels of lead in their blood had their houses tested. In each case, the "hot spot" was found to be the case tumbler. The source of the lead is the lead styphnate used in primers.

I cringe whenever I hear of someone washing and reusing tumbling media, or using a "pan for gold" method for separating cases from media.

Last edited:
I've read of several cases (sorry, I can't find links right now) where reloaders with high levels of lead in their blood had their houses tested. In each case, the "hot spot" was found to be the case tumbler. The source of the lead is the lead styphnate used in primers.

I cringe whenever I hear of someone washing and reusing tumbling media, or using a "pan for gold" method for separating cases from media.

I used to do it that hard, unsafe way. Now I just pour the media into an old, plastic kitty litter bucket and use a strainer.

It removes the cases from the media; shaking it gets (most of) the media out of the cases. I just pour them into coffee cans to be separated by caliber and manufacturer.

So I was talking to a fellow range member and we starting talk ing about tumbling brass. He said he uses "Brasso" (it's a brass and metal cleaning) as an additive to the media. I tried it last night and WOW, it worked great!!! They were brighter than new ones...

recent reloader

I recently started reloading. Of course i bought the usual, tumbler,
cob etc. My question here is why are you folks adding polish...

whats the gain.....???????

JimB

Back
Top Bottom