Tumbler Media

I Was reading Fixxah's post on brass cleaning & thought about having to dispose of all that soapy lead infested water. I wouldn't want to pour it down my sink or even outside.
I Think I'd rather keep the residue in my tumbler.
I decided to look up Hornady's MSDS on proper & responsable disposal of used media.

WASTE DISPOSAL METHOD: User is responsible for disposing of waste in accordance with all Federal, State and local regulations. Used
material is likely to contain products of firearm discharge such as lead and copper.

I was wondering how You guy's properly dispose of your spent media.

The EPA has no regulations on dumping lead into landfills they just don't want it spread around where people live. Plastic bag in the trash is fine.

I have five years of used and nasty walnut media in five gallon buckets. I use some of that for a quick 20 minute tumble on any really sandy/muddy brass that didn't get washed enough. I run the garden hose over sandy/muddy brass to wash the crap off. The quick tumble in the old stuff is enough to remove the rest of the dirt. Then, I place clean media in the tumbler, with my secret recipe, and go at it for a few hours.

secret recipe. Cayenne pepper haha. So when you clean your brass out of the media it gets all over your hands. spices up things

I think I may get myself some of that D-Lead soap. I will add some of that to my ultrasonic leaning solution .
Then I will De-cap and size all my brass, Ultrasonically clean the brass, rinse it, dry it then tumble it.
I have to imagine that this would cut down significantly on and lead dust created by the tumbler (if there is no lead going in there to begin with.)

Secret recipe =

0ne capful of NuFinish liquid car polish
2-3 capfuls of mineral spirits.

Add to media BEFORE adding brass, and allow to tumble (to mix it all in) for about 15-20 minutes.
Then add brass and tumble as usual.

Eliminates dust

Eases the cleaning of the brass

Adds a carnauba wax coating to all the brass, keeping it jewelry polished for a LONG time.

I throw it out on the driveway for the ice during the winter and to soak up the oil during the summer. Either way it eventually ends up at the curb for the street sweeper

I throw it out on the driveway for the ice during the winter and to soak up the oil during the summer. Either way it eventually ends up at the curb for the street sweeper

I really hope your kids don't play in the driveway. Enjoy your lead infested driveway!

I double bag mine and trash it. That way I don't have lead blowin around my yard on those dry hot days.

Shredded (I usually cut it into three parts) used dryer sheets also help for collecting the crap in the media. Plus your brass smells spring fresh, which we all know is important.

Dumb question.. is there THAT much lead in the brass if jacketed ammo is all that is used?

so, i have never used walnut shell media, always corn cob, does anyone have any experience with the walnut? i hear often people don't like it, not sure, thinking maybe it gets really dusty?

so, i have never used walnut shell media, always corn cob, does anyone have any experience with the walnut? i hear often people don't like it, not sure, thinking maybe it gets really dusty?

Thats all I use now because it is cheap at petco. It is indeed dusty (hence the dryer sheet trick mentioned above), but it does a great job.

Shredded (I usually cut it into three parts) used dryer sheets also help for collecting the crap in the media. Plus your brass smells spring fresh, which we all know is important.

Dumb question.. is there THAT much lead in the brass if jacketed ammo is all that is used?

Yes, there is still lead residue from the priming compound typically used in most primers. And if you use open base FMJ, a little lead is going to come off the back of the bullets, as well, during firing.

-Mike

Yes, there is still lead residue from the priming compound typically used in most primers. And if you use open base FMJ, a little lead is going to come off the back of the bullets, as well, during firing.

-Mike

+1 Most commercial FMJ has exposed lead base.... unless they are plated- and some are (CCI is one). I've never seen hollow points with exposed lead bases.

Thanks for the responce.
I'm not paranoid when it comes to lead. I dispose of my media the same way most do. I never wear a mask, I never wear gloves when setting steel or picking up brass.
I think the main reason I started this thred was to raise a little awareness for the general health & safety of the members of this forum when it comes to comming in contact with the products we use.
Most of us here have ben into this hobby for a long time & a long time to come.
YES most of the prouducts we use contain LEAD. Whether the bullets are jacketed or plated they have lead in & on them. Thats why your finger turns black after loading a few hundred rounds.
I'm not saying go crazy trying to avoid lead. Just a conscious effort.
Also remember to always wash hands with cold water to help keep your skin pores closed.

i wouldn't really talk about lead disposal on a public forum, never know might read it.

You might call your public works dept and ask about such. maybe they have a hazardous
waste day and you can bring it there.

Back
Top Bottom