• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tulsa Cop handles active shooter like a boss

Duxprep

NES Member
I see a lot of posts on NES about cops doing their jobs poorly and rarely something showing them doing good police work. This Tulsa Cop does an outstanding professional job. He runs straight into danger to end the threat. Total chaos cardio and marksmanship. Very impressive

Last edited:
Some questions (generally in decreasing order of importance to me) :
- What was the need to engage the suspect without any verbal commands? Shoot first, tell him to stop second?
- What's the policy that allows engaging a suspect across six lanes of active traffic without an apparent immediate threat?
- Why is the Officer driving with his rifle out and ready well before they're on scene? What was Officer#2 doing at that point? Shouldn't Officer be concentrating on operating the vehicle and letting Officer#2 concentrate on the suspect?
- Why is this officer able to run around the entire building looking for the suspect but they have cops just standing around?
- How many rounds actually hit the suspect? Two? If not, where did #2 go?

- What was the need to engage the suspect without any verbal commands? Shoot first, tell him to stop second?
- What's the policy that allows engaging a suspect across six lanes of active traffic without an apparent immediate threat?
- Why is the Officer driving with his rifle out and ready well before they're on scene? What was Officer#2 doing at that point? Shouldn't Officer be concentrating on operating the vehicle and letting Officer#2 concentrate on the suspect?
- Why is this officer able to run around the entire building looking for the suspect but they have cops just standing around?
Show us on the doll where the bad Policeman touched you.

Jules better give the man his wallet back.

If someone shot one of your loved ones, there would be no limit to how many lanes he fired across. Kudos to that man.

He's in good shape I'll give him that. I'm not sure so much about the shooting of a fleeing suspect. Not really actively shooting anyone at that point. I'm ok with it, just from a rules and regs/policy point of view wondering.

NES: complains about cops not engaging the active shooter.

Also NES: complains about a cop engaging the active shooter.

This guy is a badass. Most of you would be running home to change your undies if there was an active shooter nearby (hey, I probably would be too).

Would you like him arrested for discharging his weapon in city limits too? [rolleyes]. Maybe next time you and Bonesinium can be consulted first before the cops engage the next active shooter to make sure they do it in a way the Monday morning QB crowd is comfortable with.

He's in good shape I'll give him that. I'm not sure so much about the shooting of a fleeing suspect. Not really actively shooting anyone at that point. I'm ok with it, just from a rules and regs/policy point of view wondering.

Start looking with Tennessee v. Garner, 1985 and Graham v. Connor, 1989 - both USSC cases.

Tulsa police released body camera footage showing the fatal officer-involved shooting of a man on Interstate 44 who shot two people at a south Tulsa strip mall in May of 2019.

The video begins with Tulsa Police Department officers in a police cruiser responding to a dispatcher notifying them that Derrec Shaw, 25, had shot two people at separate locations after being observed “acting erratic and strange” while at a strip mall in the 4900 block of South Peoria Avenue on May 10.

Through an officer-worn body camera, an identified officer is seen readying a department-issued patrol rifle while approaching the area before exiting the vehicle and running down an alley behind Cici’s Pizza at 4949 S. Peoria Ave. to investigate Shaw’s whereabouts.

There, employees and patrons outside the restaurant frantically tell the officer that Shaw is still in the area near another business. Police later learned that Shaw had pointed a gun at a motorist before shooting that person in the shoulder and later another man in the chin.

Shaw, 25, has previous charges in Tulsa County for larceny from a house, possession of a firearm after former conviction of a felony. He was charged last year with robbery, but the charges were dropped after a prosecution witness failed to appear, according to court records.

Operate, Navigate, Communicate.
It's like watching a flight crew land a passenger jet in the Hudson River.

Note the gathering/disseminating information
that will help keep innocents from being shot.
And not stopping to chat with people
that have nothing to bring to the party.

I'm not saying that most Tulsa prowl cars don't carry an AR.
But I wonder if this guy was either management or wore a SWAT hat.

I also wonder if this guy has cleared his share of mud huts in the Sandbox,
back in the day.

Perp shoots someone in the chin,
and is hanging out armed on that six-lane highway?

Textbook definition
of "turning his life around".

Bonus points to the orange pickup truck who lets him make the shot,
and then skedaddles when the cop stands back up.
(Before the perp might return fire, LOL).

If the perp was swanning about aimlessly on the far side of the road,
he could have quickly been concealed by traffic, or hidden.
The cop didn't waste any time for the perfect shot.
Not even to cross the near lanes while traffic had paused,
even though the median barrier would make good cover
and helped brace for the shot.

Didn't try an offhand shot, either.
Neither did he make a mag dump.

Officer 2 is holding Officer 1's coffee with one hand,
and ordering an air-vent cup holder from Amazon
on the squad car's Tuffbook with his other hand.

The others are Non-Player Cops generated by the body camera's firmware.

5.56? There were trees in the background - no worries.

Any tattoo fans got an ID on the cop's sleeve art?

P. S. Check out the graffitti on the retaining wall
between the service road and highway at 6m24s:
REPUBLICAN
NOT SEES
PUTIN'S PETS​

Did you see at 5:24 in the video that there is an Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition to his right? I had one of those back in the day. It was a good SUV.

Anyway, this idiot shot two people. I have no issue with this cop putting him down like the dog that he is.

The guy is on a busy highway with a gun and already showed that he will shoot people.

Imagine the amount of injuries and/or death he could have inflicted if he started shooting at drivers driving at highway speeds?

How many more people should he have let this dirt bag shoot before he took him out?

The only thing that pisses me off is that he gets to steer his car with the AR and if I did that I would either be arrested or shot. lol...jk...kind of...lol

Seriously though, what everyone else said. This looks like a cop version of 'how many guys does it take to change a light bulb'. I mean are the other guys just paid to stand around?

My only theory is that this guy is a combat vet and the others never served. Just a guess of course. Everyone else in the department must be a supervisor....

Im going to gander hes a officer who is experienced with shooting and knows his rifle. Looking at the video Im not even sure the person in the passenger seat is a "cop" looked like dressed in jeans and a T shirt
Maybe after everything settles he might get a verbal warning on poor steearing wheel tactics.
Now why do police get to ignore safe shooting rules.
Know your target and whats beyound. As far as we know he made the correct choice
This officer did not know the guy with the gun was the shooter. He just shot the first man he seen with a gun.
This officer could have easily panicked and took out at least 3 people that popped into view. The guy coming out of the kitchen in the restaurant could have easily been taken out with a panic/adrenalin driven itchy trigger.

there is a lot "wrong" in this video but to the powers to be less where hurt or killed in the end.
as someone mentioned im sure there are officers out there that would have mag dumped.

Last edited:
He must have been part fireman.
Because he just went in to the fire and did what had to be done!
The nation needs a few hundred thousand more just like him!
Bravo!
This nation has millions of those ready to do just that.
often though by threat of jail time and financial ruin many hold back.
We the people dont have the " I thought and I felt " to use in our defense. Along with lawyers and payout checks in out back pocket.
Our police generally are not a problem its the police "system" that protects the bad actions and defends bad individuals when the fail to do right.

No complaints on how that cop handled the situation. None whatsoever. My question is what was the perp using for a gun? Two victims shot at close range and both literally walked away with Bandaids? The news reports say it was a revolver. Very fuzzy photo of the "bullet" removed from one victim makes me wonder if it was a CO2 pellet pistol. Anyone have any other info on that question?

Good shoot, well executed.

For the second-guessers:
opplanet-exxel-outdoors-marvel-spiderman-armchair-mkc-101spd8a-main.jpg

Back
Top Bottom