• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TTI +5/6 Glock Magazine extensions... Are they any good? Any issues?

Hey all, I wanted some user feedback on these high-speed pieces of kit. I was thinking about picking some up on the cheap, and wanted to know if anyone has experience using these in competition, carry, or for defensive rigs.

These would be used on a full sized 9mm Glock for comp and carry for myself. Appreciate any feedback on the matter.

I know Taran produced all these "on the edge of precious" as he is weirdo.

I have one +2 jobber on my G43 mag and its fine, but that's hardly a test.

I want to say @Roland Deschain and myself had some dialogue on the forum elsewhere about these things, and he reported the basepads cracking/breaking, but I forget.

I know a lot of guys swear by the Dawson pads.

-Mike

I want to say @Roland Deschain and myself had some dialogue on the forum elsewhere about these things, and he reported the basepads cracking/breaking, but I forget.

-Mike

They were awful Mike. Yard sale any time I dropped one. I installed them correctly on brand new mags... plus their CS is one step above government CS.

-Mike

Thank you kindly, Mike! If it's good enough for a carry piece you trust your life on, then it says something positive! But it sounds like Roland did not have such a good experience with them... Would love to get other feedback.

I'll check out Dawson's as well, I have good things about pretty much all their products.

They were awful Mike. Yard sale any time I dropped one. I installed them correctly on brand new mags... plus their CS is one step above government CS.

Wow, that is madness, the whole point of the basepad on the magazine is to be dropped to the ground... Anyone else you know have these issues? Sucks to hear about that bad experience...

I am a big fan of Arredondo extensions, I use them on all my competition mags and they have been 100%
TTI's have a habit of popping off and puking everything out when they hit the floor, ask me how I know. Also they will mangle the plastic lip of at the base your mags. I don't recommend them.

Last edited:
I have the Taran +2/3 on both 19 mags as well 23 mags. They work as intended and haven’t had any issues. They have hit the ground without exploding. I also run Arredondos on my full size 9 and 40s for competition. Again they work as intended without binding or going kablooey when they drop. I do prefer the polymer Arredondos over the aluminum Tarans

thanks for the input, appreciate the broad views and support, have a blessed 4th, stay safe, and stay frosty all! my buddy and his friends up north that share a big igloo use them and have no issues. going to try some TTI's out!

I have 6 TTI +5/6 for a non-glock limited gun. They work fine. I haven't had any issues with them coming off accidentally. It's a little annoying getting them on and off to clean the mag. If it touches the ground it gets taken apart and cleaned before the next stage.

I have 6 Dawson +5/6 for and they are great. SUPER EASY on/off but stay secured. I bought one of the TTI's for the glock just to try it. For some reason it's much more of a PITA to get on/off than they are on the other gun. The coil just lands at an awkward spot which makes it difficult to get the basepad on & off.

No issues on Glock mags. I use the +5/6 in competition and constantly drop on the ground without any problems.
Also have +1, +2 and +3 on my G43 and all have been perfect.

I've experienced that, although, I had mine on a Unotch. This was before they put the disclaimer on the website that the extensions don't work with Unotch. In fact, I think my angry email about it spurred the disclaimer on the site, as I told them specifically there were no compatibility notes or warnings for buying. It magically appeared the next day.

But for the uninitiated: Unotch are not full metal lined. The entire mag body flexes with loading and as the center bulges, the top and bottom narrow. As the bottom narrows, it loosens in the extension well. One good bump and the extension comes off. The spring tension jettisons the entire contents of the mag, rounds, follower, and spring.

The TT ones look great and are machined nice, but the simple retention pin method of securing them on the magwell to prevent slide off is too simplistic and allows for too much play. I suppose they would be fine on full metal lined mags, but that means square notch if in MA. If you're in a free state, then the should be fine then. Although, while not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, I find the Taylor Freelance extensions much more robust in terms of securing them on the magwell with a solid plate held in by two screws. No play at all once attached. Got to thank fred2386 for showing me those.

This is partly a question and partly a comment.

Regardless of the quality of the +5 base. Lets assume its perfect. Are there any reliability issues in using the stock spring? I mean its a heavier column of bullets and the spring is working with less preload with the extended pad.

This is partly a question and partly a comment.

Regardless of the quality of the +5 base. Lets assume its perfect. Are there any reliability issues in using the stock spring? I mean its a heavier column of bullets and the spring is working with less preload with the extended pad.

Many will come with longer springs.

Zev +5 extensions are solid. I’ve got one on an insanely cracked Glock 17 mag and it runs like a champ everytime I go to the range.

I've experienced that, although, I had mine on a Unotch. This was before they put the disclaimer on the website that the extensions don't work with Unotch. In fact, I think my angry email about it spurred the disclaimer on the site, as I told them specifically there were no compatibility notes or warnings for buying. It magically appeared the next day.

But for the uninitiated: Unotch are not full metal lined. The entire mag body flexes with loading and as the center bulges, the top and bottom narrow. As the bottom narrows, it loosens in the extension well. One good bump and the extension comes off. The spring tension jettisons the entire contents of the mag, rounds, follower, and spring.

The TT ones look great and are machined nice, but the simple retention pin method of securing them on the magwell to prevent slide off is too simplistic and allows for too much play. I suppose they would be fine on full metal lined mags, but that means square notch if in MA. If you're in a free state, then the should be fine then. Although, while not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, I find the Taylor Freelance extensions much more robust in terms of securing them on the magwell with a solid plate held in by two screws. No play at all once attached. Got to thank fred2386 for showing me those.

Mine are all FML. Its interesting though.... they did the same kind of thing to me regarding their website. The extentions I bought said they came with longer springs. Mags came... no springs. I pointed it out and they denied website said that.... except I took screenshots. I will never own a Weinstein Tactical Industries product again.

Mine are all FML. Its interesting though.... they did the same kind of thing to me regarding their website. The extentions I bought said they came with longer springs. Mags came... no springs. I pointed it out and they denied website said that.... except I took screenshots. I will never own a Weinstein Tactical Industries product again.
I've had TTI extensions blow off of square-notch-antique-mags and the base plates blow off of new 10 round practice mags. The 10 rounders got worse and worse over time and everytime they came off and found they were chewing up the polymer lips at the bottom of the mags. I wasn't going to use something that was chewing up my antique Glock mags.
It's a bad design and the retention pins also move up and down with use either unlocking he baseplate or causing interference if you use a magwell.
The word from serious dudes is Dawson and Arredondo's are where its at.
I have been meaning to give the Dawson's a whirl, but I have been happy since switching the fleet over to Arredondo's and haven't looked back. They also come with the correct springs and aren't sold by scumbags.

View attachment 372374
I took a picture of the 10 round fails. Notice the pins are still up. The mags bodies were coming off vertically. It's a bad design.

What in the actual F*** is that?! I mean, I have these on Gen4 17 round mags and they install pretty easily and seem to be able to take abuse... The Arrenado designs are pretty nice as well.

What in the actual F*** is that?! I mean, I have these on Gen4 17 round mags and they install pretty easily and seem to be able to take abuse... The Arrenado designs are pretty nice as well.
Yes they seem to take abuse, until they give up and puke out the spring, follower and all your boolits on the ground.
A lot of stuff seems great if you don't actually use it enough to tell the difference.

Yes they seem to take abuse, until they give up and puke out the spring, follower and all your boolits on the ground.
A lot of stuff seems great if you don't actually use it enough to tell the difference.

Yup. The machining seems good and they seem like a tight fit so I trusted them. Admittedly though, I baby my square notch preban mags, which are the mags with TTI extenders. I wouldn’t intentionally let them drop on the ground during a training session. I save that for my 10 round mags. So thank you for identifying failures. I’ll be looking at Dawson and Arredondo to swap them out.

Yup. The machining seems good and they seem like a tight fit so I trusted them. Admittedly though, I baby my square notch preban mags, which are the mags with TTI extenders. I wouldn’t intentionally let them drop on the ground during a training session. I save that for my 10 round mags. So thank you for identifying failures. I’ll be looking at Dawson and Arredondo to swap them out.
I baby them (and all my magazines) when I can, I've started taking a collapsible laundry basket with a foam insert to the range when doing static drills. I also keeps mags from flying down range.

View attachment 372374
I took a picture of the 10 round fails. Notice the pins are still up. The mags bodies were coming off vertically. It's a bad design.

What Glock mag is that? G43x/48x or a cripple mag? I don't think many extensions will play nice with restricted mags only because the internal metal liner is pinched to reduce round count. Probably messes with spring tension if you have a longer or higher power spring. If that is a 43x/48x, then I don't know. I didn't like these either and had this exact issue, but that was on a NML mag.

The problem is that this type of extension only holds 3 sides of the mag body. Even FML mags don't have metal down that far, so the polymer flexes and bows towards the unsecured side, pulling the left and right in a fraction of a MM. But that's all it takes under pressure to have it fail catastrophically.

Those are 10 round Glock 17 mags. The 10 round Glock magazine bodies have considerably thicker walls and are probably more rigid than standard capacity mags.
Regardless of mag type, It's a known issue with TTI's. glock10round.jpg

Back
Top Bottom