TSA Rule Change

Well looks like some here may get there wish. IMHO, for once, the DEMS are making more sense.

After the first incident with one of the these prev prohibited items, the Press will OWN El Presidente Bush.

FOlks always say never forget 9/11. Well this is a small dot to be connected at a later date.

http://news.bostonherald.com/opinion/view.bg?articleid=115373&format=text

Latest TSA rules ignore the basics
By Boston Herald editorial staff
Sunday, December 4, 2005

The new federal airport screening policies announced Friday contain some useful elements, but do not make the most needed improvement. And it’s a big mistake to let passengers bring small scissors and tools such as screwdrivers on airplanes.

The time saved in not confiscating scissors less than 4 inches long or wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers less than 7 inches long is intended to permit screeners to undertake new kinds of random searches and more extensive pat-down examinations and concentrate on detecting explosives, according to officials of the Transportation Security Administration.

Even though the Sept. 11 hijackers used box cutters to seize four airplanes, some experts believe small blades are no longer a threat because cockpit doors are now locked in flight.

Not so, say Reps. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.), who intend to introduce a bill to preserve the current list of items barred from the cabin.

The locked cockpit is equivalent to a “no-negotiations-with-hostage-takers” policy in non-aviation contexts. Bloody experience shows that hostage-takers frequently do not believe the policy will be carried out - or do not care. Hijackers might well believe pilots could be ordered to give in by their companies in response to the sound of executions relayed to the ground by cellphones.

“The pilots will be able to land the plane safely, but the aisles will be running with blood,” protested Corey Caldwell, spokesman for the Association of Flight Attendants.

Nonsuspicious passengers selected - randomly, it is said - for search will not know what’s coming under the new policy. One day their carry-on bags will be searched. The next time they may be asked to remove their shoes. Another time they might be “wanded” with a hand-held metal detector.

It’s smart to add unpredictability, but the searchers are still insisting on a random search for a nonrandom threat - a policy of foolish political correctness that will keep checking out harmless grandmothers in wheelchairs.

The real threat comes from adherents of a murderous fundamentalist Islam, far more likely to be young men from certain geographical areas than wheelchair granny. It is sheerest folly for the TSA to stay blindfolded to this threat.

The editorial and the hysteria from Markey and Crowley are typical hoplophobe Bravo Sierra. I've talked with Israeli security professionals, and we've all laughed at the TSA rules that prevent people from carrying fingernail files, manicure scissors and similar items on a plane, while still allowing us to carry a jacket pocket full of steel pens. The 9/11 hijackers were able to accomplish their goals with their boxcutters for the simple reason that both passengers and crew were under the impression that giving in to them would prevent unnecessary loss of life. Anybody who is under a delusion to the contrary should consider whether they could manage to get me to bleed out due to cuts from a little pair of scissors before I could splatter their brains all over the cabin with a 7 pound laptop computer.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Anybody who is under a delusion to the contrary should consider whether they could manage to get me to bleed out due to cuts from a little pair of scissors before I could splatter their brains all over the cabin with a 7 pound laptop computer.

You go for the head shot Ken - I'll take care of the lower region. [wink]

I think they forget most (and I say that loosely) people are not going to sit by and be sheep.
My brother did the electronics on Boeing planes, and he flew right after 9/11. His responce was he'd disable the plane easily.

Planes, etc.

The real question seems to be "are we helpless enough to be safe?"

A cruise ship recently adverted disaster through resistance. My guess is that the pre-9/11 response to such an attack on a ship would be to comply with the boarding attempt, as the public was trained that only individuals employed by the governmnet should resist attack - the safest route for everyone else is to do as the criminal tells you.

From a pure PR perspective assuming they rule changes goes through and an incident happens with one of the previously banned items, wouldn't the Dems have a field day with this?

Back
Top Bottom