• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TSA Lock on a Gun Case in a Trunk

Is the tool box on a pickup truck considered safe storage.?
I'm talking about the kind that sits in the bed behind the cab. It has locks and is bolted to the bed but external from the cab.

IANAL but I would say yes. It's a locked container bolted to the truck. I use mine when transporting items. Granted, my range bags inside them are locked too.

Cite, please?

Not to be a d!ck (ok maybe I am), but your post implies that having it under two levels of locking is "the law," when it's not. It's the smart move, but it's not the law.

My daily driver has no trunk, so, by your post I cannot legally transport my shottie, as I have no separate trunk.

Fixed it.. See my other post above. Thanks..

What the law says:

locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

Does anyone see there where it says "not very secure", "TSA Locks are not acceptable", or "certain locks are not acceptable"?

WHY do people beat this to death? Lock your gun in the box or trunk and move on. Mass law is complicated because people make it so.
Mostly due to confusion and the fear that the police and DAs will make up "extra laws" to jam them up.

Things to understand about Mass Law:

1. There's a lot to know to stay out of trouble but it's not as complicated as people make it.

2. The cop who pulls you over will know less about the law than you
True, and why people worry about being jammed up when they did nothing wrong.

I just attended the Goal gun law class.

There is case law about trunks not being good enough.

I’m going back to the class this week, probably.
There's have been cases where judges ruled that the locks weren't adequate. Even though there is no MGL citation to back those rulings up.

As a matter of Massprudence, I would not use any lock that someone else (gov't) has access to (TSA locks) for this purpose, but not because of any particular law. BTW, I don't fly anymore (thankfully) and don't own any TSA locks!

Is the tool box on a pickup truck considered safe storage.?
I'm talking about the kind that sits in the bed behind the cab. It has locks and is bolted to the bed but external from the cab.
Absolutely meets MGL.

. . .

TSA locks are not as secure as a common pad lock.

While it is true that so-called TSA Locks do not provide a serious level of intrusion resistance, in my experience it is not true that common padlocks provide more. The most common padlocks in the world are Master padlocks, and they are considered a joke by people who know locks. I have a plastic bin full of locks, including "common" padlocks and the locks provided by firearms manufacturers, and I can open any of them in less that one minute without the key. And this does not include brute force attacks.

For those interested in enlightenment on the subject, check out a series of You Tube videos by "Lock Picking Lawyer."

It is so sad we are even having this conversation /thread .
I remember my older brother driving me to school with a shotgun on the gun rack in his pickup

If you use a trigger lock, do these become legal?

Just to be safe, I usually disassemble my firearm, lock it on several boxes and have Uber drivers transport everything but the frame, which I carry. We convoy to the range and back.

If you use a trigger lock, do these become legal?

Just to be safe, I usually disassemble my firearm, lock it on several boxes and have Uber drivers transport everything but the frame, which I carry. We convoy to the range and back.

If it's a non-large capacity long gun, window rack transport is not unlawful with the gun unloaded. And, we look forward to the news story that ensues. [laugh]

Funny thing, before the law change in 98 allowed storage of handguns in car trunks the courts considered it to be "carry not under your direct control" and it was subject to a 1yr LTC suspension + suitability issues. The changed "storage" to "carry" to make law via bench fiat.

Back
Top Bottom