• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TSA Lock on a Gun Case in a Trunk

Reptile

NES Member
I have a new car with a trunk. It is not very secure since it's an electronic lock.

Is it legal to have a TSA combo lock on a gun case while transporting or keeping the gun in the trunk for a short time.

TSA locks are not as secure as a common pad lock.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131L

From what I recall from my basic firearms safety class, a vehicle’s trunk is considered
“secured in a locked container”

or

“equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user.”

Having a lock while locked in the trunk is certainly a ‘belt-and-suspenders’ approach and appears to be in compliance with the law as I read it; however, the Commonwealth does have a specific list of approved locking devices, which I just previously posted.

**This is not intended to constitute legal advice**

Last edited:
This list has NOTHING to do with meeting storage/transport as an in-duh-vidual. This is an approval list for gun locks a dealer is required to sell with a gun.
From what I recall from my basic firearms safety class, a vehicle’s trunk is considered “secured in a locked container”
BFS instructors are not authoritative sources of info (and yes, I am one #007, so I am allowed to criticize here), and "the instructor done did tell me wrong" is not a defense.

The EOPS did publish a statement that a locked trunk qualified as secure storage, though I am not able to find it only at present (will try some more later).

This list has NOTHING to do with meeting storage/transport as an in-duh-vidual. This is an approval list for gun locks a dealer is required to sell with a gun.

Yes, correct. There are two separate matters. Storage as codified in the law and then what the Commonwealth considers an “approved” lock to render a firearm inoperable.

A trunk is generally considered a “locked container” in compliance with the law as I read it, and as a result, a firearm can be transported in the trunk without the need of a separate locking device while traveling in the Commonwealth; however, if one were to store a firearm with a locking device (separate to transportation in a trunk), there is a specific list the Commonwealth has deemed acceptable.

Sorry... its still early in the AM, and I didn’t think it required that much explanation....

Yes, correct. There are two separate matters. Storage as codified in the law and then what the Commonwealth considers an “approved” lock to render a firearm inoperable.

A trunk is generally considered a “locked container” in compliance with the law as I read it, and as a result, a firearm can be transported in the trunk without the need of a separate locking device while traveling in the Commonwealth; however, if one were to store a firearm with a locking device (separate to transportation in a trunk), there is a specific list the Commonwealth has deemed acceptable.

Sorry... its still early in the AM, and I didn’t think it required that much explanation....

Is there a separate list Mtn Guy? If I wanted to transport a firearm and didn’t have a trunk, you’re saying MA has a specific list of approved locks I’d have to use?!

No. The "Mass... specific list" is what a dealer may supply when selling you a gun, where a lock is required.

There is no list of what is, or is not "OK" for transportation of your own guns. Also, please understand that "firearm" may, or may not, mean what you think it means.

Item...................................transport......................storage
Firearm (handgun)..............locked container.............. locked container or individual lock
Large cap long gun (e.g. AR) locked container...........locked container or individual lock
long gun (non large cap).......unloaded.......................locked container or individual lock

A trunk is (apparently) a locked container, but if you have fold-down seats, then they have to be lockable, too. AFAIK, a glove box is NOT a locked container.

The above does not apply to on-body/direct control of a handgun, with appropriate LTC

When you stop and get out of the car at Dunkies, you are storing, not transporting.

When you stop and get out of the car at Dunkies, and leave your unlicensed buddy or family member in the car.....that's a possible issue. Best to have them go in, and buy you the coffee.

I keep a trigger lock on my Trap shottie (non-large cap), so that I am covered both ways.

There is no statute as to what a container is. Let your level of comfort be your guide.

Last edited:
This would be to transport an AR in the trunk.

My seats fold down.

I know I need a lockable case.

So, TSA is good enough?

I can't see why a lock that one part of the .gov mandates would be a problem for another! [laugh]

I know that's not a real answer, but since the MGLs don't say, "No TSA locks," you should be ok. But it's Mass, so.....who knows. If you're asking the question, get a better lock, and remove the worry. 'Cuz Massprudence.

I have a new car with a trunk. It is not very secure since it's an electronic lock.

Is it legal to have a TSA combo lock on a gun case while transporting or keeping the gun in the trunk for a short time.

TSA locks are not as secure as a common pad lock.

What the law says:

locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131C

Does anyone see there where it says "not very secure", "TSA Locks are not acceptable", or "certain locks are not acceptable"?

WHY do people beat this to death? Lock your gun in the box or trunk and move on. Mass law is complicated because people make it so.

This is what I teach quoted from the Mass.gov site. We all have the internet these days so I keep it simple. Handguns, Hi-Cap Rifles, Shotguns and Black Powder Rifles. Some are required to be locked up, some are not. If you want to dig deeper, it's all online. Which is why some of us teach a 4 hour Mass Gun Law Class...

Quote from The State..

"The laws for transporting a firearm can be confusing. Basically, if you keep the firearm unloaded, and locked in a case in the trunk or rear storage compartment of a truck or SUV you will comply with the current law."

Done...

Things to understand about Mass Law:

1. There's a lot to know to stay out of trouble but it's not as complicated as people make it.

2. The cop who pulls you over will know less about the law than you

I usually print responses on NES threads, tape them to a wall, and throw a dart. Whatever one it hits I assume to be the best interpretation of Mass law.

Keep the gun unloaded in a locked case in your locked trunk and you'll be fine. PERIOD... That's the law...

Cite, please?

Not to be a d!ck (ok maybe I am), but your post implies that having it under two levels of locking is "the law," when it's not. It's the smart move, but it's not the law.

My daily driver has no trunk, so, by your post I cannot legally transport my shottie, as I have no separate trunk.

I just attended the Goal gun law class.

There is case law about trunks not being good enough.

I’m going back to the class this week, probably.

were to store a firearm with a locking device (separate to transportation in a trunk), there is a specific list the Commonwealth has deemed acceptable.
WRONG. This list is what lock the commonwealth has deemed suitable as meeting the requirements that a dealer sell with a gun (I think hi-cap only requires a lock be sold with the gun). The list does not cover any activity other than the dealer end of a sale.

But there is an excellent entrapment by estoppel defense.

WRONG. This list is what lock the commonwealth has deemed suitable as meeting the requirements that a dealer sell with a gun (I think hi-cap only requires a lock be sold with the gun). The list does not cover any activity other than the dealer end of a sale.

But there is an excellent entrapment by estoppel defense.
What is estoppel defense?

Those guys in the black boots?

What is estoppel defense?
When the govt says something is legal, and you do it based on that representation, you get off. It does not cross between state and federal though - a fed telling you something is legal under state law is not a defense to state prosecution and vice-versa.

The full term is "entrapment by estopel".

Last edited:
I may be totally wrong but did I read recently our evil White supremacist kitten killing baby hating AR’s must be in a “hard case” now here when traveling?

I just attended the Goal gun law class.

I’m going back to the class this week, probably.
I think you are confusing the Reyes case with something else:
•Com. v. Reyes, 464 Mass. 245 (2013) says leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle while at work is storage under G.L. ch. 140 § 131L. Locked car is NOT a secure container.

•As to locked in the glove box: “it might depending on the particular factual circumstances including
•the nature of the locking mechanism, whether the motor vehicle was locked and alarmed, and ultimately whether in the circumstances it was adequate to “deter all but the most persistent from gaining access.”

Is the tool box on a pickup truck considered safe storage.?
I'm talking about the kind that sits in the bed behind the cab. It has locks and is bolted to the bed but external from the cab.

Back
Top Bottom