• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TS Agents at Logan Airport stopped a man who was attempting to bring an antique gun through security on Christmas Day.

KVX

BOSTON (CBS) – Agents at Logan Airport stopped a man who was attempting to bring an antique gun through security on Christmas Day.

The man told TSA he inherited the gun from his grandfather.

LOGAN-GUN-TSA-SECURIY.jpg

An antique gun found by security at Logan Airport. (Image Credit: TSA)

Police allowed the man to return the gun to his car before he was allowed through security.

This marked the 17th gun caught by agents at Logan Airport in 2019.

So do we really need a multi-billion-dollar agency just to catch some guns?

I'll be more impressed if there was an article every day about them stopping an actual terrorists
I'd be extremely unimpressed with our Intelligence agencies if that were the case.

While I think TSA is wildly overgrown and overblown, the reality is we want our total defense to make them the goalie who almost never has to stop a real try.

In this one, it's no surprise they let the guy take it back to the car - clearly no threat, with no powder, about the same risk as a toy gun (which they have discretion to deny from going on the plane).

I'd be extremely unimpressed with our Intelligence agencies if that were the case.

While I think TSA is wildly overgrown and overblown, the reality is we want our total defense to make them the goalie who almost never has to stop a real try.

In this one, it's no surprise they let the guy take it back to the car - clearly no threat, with no powder, about the same risk as a toy gun (which they have discretion to deny from going on the plane).

I agree. I guess my issue is that they can be that goalie without the overblown bloviated system that they've created

I agree. I guess my issue is that they can be that goalie without the overblown bloviated system that they've created
Agreed.

The general sec stuff is good so long as everyone does their job. The silly random rules dance that seems to be a thing now is an example of stopping no baddies and messing with everyone else. An overgrown defense based on dreams about winning yesterday's ballgame.

While I agree that security theater is stupid and childish, he made a choice to fly and we all know what flying is like these days.

Who thinks they can waltz through security with a firearm of any age these days?

While I agree that security theater is stupid and childish, he made a choice to fly and we all know what flying is like these days.

Who thinks they can waltz through security with a firearm of any age these days?
And the last thing we want is TSA flunkies checking to see if a gun is BP and if it's loaded. Hoo boy. Like I said, falls under the discretionary rule along with toy guns. They said no, he took it back, and no one got messed with. Yay?

As mentioned it's not a gun. So why would a federal agency give a rats a$$ about an object that another federal agency said is not an a gun. Ah right.....the right hand has no idea the left hand exists!

no guns, no replicas, no ammo, no ammo components, no magazines, barrels, etc etc etc in carry on luggage

It has been that way since long before 9/11

This past November I was traveling to Texas with my wife and 2.5yr old daughter for my nieces wedding. We were going thru security and got pulled aside. I didn’t think much of it at first because my wife always tries to get food or water in her backpack thru security and always gets caught. Then I noticed it was my little bin they were scrutinizing. I forgot my keys had one of those novelty .223 bullet/cases on it. The two young women working for TSA got all in a huff. One of them said, “sir I’m going to need your ticket and ID, then ran off to fetch a supervisor. The supervisor walks up and looks at it with a smirk and says it’s fine, just keep it out of sight.

This past November I was traveling to Texas with my wife and 2.5yr old daughter for my nieces wedding. We were going thru security and got pulled aside. I didn’t think much of it at first because my wife always tries to get food or water in her backpack thru security and always gets caught. Then I noticed it was my little bin they were scrutinizing. I forgot my keys had one of those novelty .223 bullet/cases on it. The two young women working for TSA got all in a huff. One of them said, “sir I’m going to need your ticket and ID, then ran off to fetch a supervisor. The supervisor walks up and looks at it with a smirk and says it’s fine, just keep it out of sight.
I let my older daughter fire a .223 round from my Savage bolt-action after some training with her .22. Afterwards, I drilled a small hole through both sides of the spent case just above the extractor groove and attached it to her necklace. She knows better than to take it to school. We already had that discussion!

About 30 years ago my friend was returning from germany with a rather large knife he bought. they gave him a see through bag that said something like dangerous item and he had to carry it in that bag on the flight.

no guns, no replicas, no ammo, no ammo components, no magazines, barrels, etc etc etc in carry on luggage

It has been that way since long before 9/11

TSA also points out any toy guns that resemble real guns are not permitted either. So much for me bringing my G1 Megatron and Entertech UZI squirt gun on my next trip.

Technically, by federal definition, that's not a firearm. That would have been interesting to see pursued

It's not guns. It's guns, gun shaped items, things that could be construed as guns, items where the name includes the letters G, U and N. . .

It's not that TSA regulations are JUST trying to stop guns from getting on planes. It's trying to stop panic because of people freaking out over gun-like items. A bit odd for sure. Hell, so is the whole no bottles of crap over 3oz thing. If I wanted to bring in 18oz of explosives, I'll just separate it into 3oz bottles and buy a water-bubbah from the over-inflated store past security and blow stuff up anyhow.

I'm not a fan of TSA. THAT said, I've yet to have a bad experience with them. Not a single one in the 18 years of TSA. In fact, I've had a lot of GOOD experiences with them. They can be funny as hell in a job where they are supposed to be the goalie.

Now, THAT said, it's a tough job. It's not the job, it's the MMQB that will occur if they drop a ball. Or puck. Whatever. They are screwed. We lasted for decades with lax airport security. Like it was overly-ineffective. They would walk around with German Shepherds on leashes to make people think they were looking for drugs and guns and bombs. Nope. Just some random GS and a handler. That sort of stuff.

Now we've got this agency. And they have 2 choices: Be overly cautious and piss people off but reduce the threat of some sort of incident

OR

Back off and not have these stupid rules and someone blows up another plane and everyone wants to know why they didn't do anything about it.

They are not effective. But once you have a policy like this in place, it's impossible to remove because human nature says that if you remove it and teh incident happens again, the humans will have your slaughtered. So you're better off leaving it the F alone.

I would venture to guess the biggest problem with TSA goes back to the original creation. They paid barely above minimum wage. Had they paid a fair wage and hired good people, none of this would be an issue. They are glorified security guards that are charged with stopping the next terrorist attack. I'm betting better hires 18 years ago would have led to less of the whole "ass-sniffer" and "naked-ray" systems they have in airports today. Becuase good people looking for threats are going to see far more than the sniffer-ray system ever will.

Ah well. I don't have to worry until April when I go see Mr. Mouse.

EDIT

And I DID have a TSA incident at Phoenix 15 years ago. Wife bought me a rubber band gun somewhere as a surprise gag Christmas gift. So here we are with 2 little kids in tow and she's getting her bag searched. The guy pulls it out. It was clearly gun-shaped. GUN-SHAPED. He looks at it. Looks at her. (Gun is wooden and is still in the packaging.). I go "WTF, Jen?" "It's. . . . it's your Christmas gift. I thought you would think it was funny." She is on the verge of tears that this happened. Guy drops it back in her suitcase. "Merry Christmas."

Now, in 2004 - if you pointed your finger and thumb the wrong way they'd remove your HAND at the risk it might be a covert gun. TSA did us a solid. We were prepared to chuck it and the guy realized it was a non-issue.

TSA was completely un-necessary. I could have solved the problem in a few days.

Simple - new policy "We will send testers to try to get guns and prohibited items through security. If one succeeds the airline running the checkpoint is fined $5000 (or whatever), with no negotiation or discount on that amount. If the test item is found the screener is given a C-note on the spot".

TSA Monkeys are only there because they can't get a job flipping burgers. My daughter just recently came back from some kind of soft toy convention (Plushies and such) she had her stuff packed for regular transport (not carry on) the TSA goons opened every one of those packages, some of those toys are "collectables" and because the boxes were damaged they are decreased in value. She also found that others that she went to the convention with had the same thing happen. When they filed a Formal complaint, they were told, well at least they didn't take them. This was at LAX (Los Angeles) that this happen.

They are not effective. But once you have a policy like this in place, it's impossible to remove because human nature says that if you remove it and teh incident happens again, the humans will have your slaughtered. So you're better off leaving it the F alone.
They are glorified security guards that are charged with stopping the next terrorist attack.

Your first point is absolutely correct, but this is where conservatives must distinguish themselves from liberals. We must look at government, and think "Is this money being spent in the best way to achieve the goals?" If not, the resources need to be reallocated, or just not spent. Taking this view on spending leads to difficult decisions, stepping on toes, and vigorous push back from people who benefit from the current system. But if we don't control spending that is no longer effective, then the system, and its costs, can only increase.

Regarding the second point, they are glorified security guards charged with putting on good theater. There are actually benefits to theater, but its costs do not have to increase exponentially over time. And if there is an incident that slips past TSA, the real failure will have happened with intelligence that happens in the shadows. So yes, the theater, or lack thereof, will be blamed for problems. But the theater was never really the important security barrier.

TSA Monkeys are only there because they can't get a job flipping burgers. My daughter just recently came back from some kind of soft toy convention (Plushies and such) she had her stuff packed for regular transport (not carry on) the TSA goons opened every one of those packages, some of those toys are "collectables" and because the boxes were damaged they are decreased in value. She also found that others that she went to the convention with had the same thing happen. When they filed a Formal complaint, they were told, well at least they didn't take them. This was at LAX (Los Angeles) that this happen.

LAX is a pit. It's the only airport I've ever seen in the US where you need a baggage claim ticket to exit the baggage area with a bag. Think on that. They had a HUGE problem with people just wandering in and stealing bags so they need to cordon off the whole area and check people. Crazy.

Technically, by federal definition, that's not a firearm. That would have been interesting to see pursued
I think TSA makes it clear that even a non firing replica or a toy cant be brought through security.

My cousin bought a toy gun for her kid (he was around 12) a few years back at Disney. They would not allow them through security, TSA made them miss their flight while they investigated the toy. My cousin caused so much trouble, they put them on another flight with a TSA agent sitting next to them on the flight.

I dont have a picture, but the gun wasnt even real looking, it was one of those over exaggerated plastic toy guns for kids. Kinda like a nerf gun.

She is from Argentina and in Latin america things are more relaxed.

Last year I flew back from Buenos Aires with a nice cocktail mixing spoon that a customer gave me. It has a very pointy tip, and the spoon is around 10" long. I could definitely stab someone with it. Security looked at it twice and let me through. When I landed in Newark, I threw it in my co-workers checked bag because there is no way that would have made it through.

It s*cks, but avoiding trouble is mostly common sense.

Last edited:
I was one of the people that traveled the country for a year setting up the TSA in Airports across the nation. We were trained by "other alphabet agencies". It did not turn out or end up as planned, because of course everyone one else had to get involved. It did some good things, some bad, and a lot of stupid. After 5 years and a divorce i couldn't deal with the idiotic rules and regs that they kept coming up with. The "good and bad" things i can't print here. And the " whole lot of stupid" you guys have had to put up with yourselves so you know that part. It was a good Idea gone wrong, but the "rest of the story" would have to be face to face with alcohol....lol

The TSA gave me a load of crap when I brought 12 gauge ported chokes in my carry on. It really depends on the mood of the TSA person of the day

The TSA gave me a load of crap when I brought 12 gauge ported chokes in my carry on. It really depends on the mood of the TSA person of the day
I saw a sign at one airport (might have been Las Vegas) with a TSA notice that all gun parts including shotgun chokes were banned in carry on.

I know one guy who tried to carry on a bunch of unfinished 1911 barrel and tried to convince the TSA they were barrel blanks since the chamber had not been cut, just the bore and rifling. He did not prevail. Error code 1D-10T.

My FIL got hired in the first wave of TSA applications. He’s the most useless and unreliable bureaucratic-minded person I’ve ever met.

As soon as I heard he’d gotten the gig, I knew TSA would be a total shitshow. Nothing I’ve seen since 2002 has changed my mind.

My FIL got hired in the first wave of TSA applications. He’s the most useless and unreliable bureaucratic-minded person I’ve ever met.

As soon as I heard he’d gotten the gig, I knew TSA would be a total shitshow. Nothing I’ve seen since 2002 has changed my mind.
It's sad to say but i probably met him,

My wife applied for the TSA during first recruitment, She passed the written, and the Background Check, Then they told her that because she did not have a college degree that she would not ever be able to be a supervisor. She has and had at that time been the operation manager for a 150 person Security Company, Had been a trained as an armed officer, including VIP protection for Wackenhutt, An Account manager to IBM for Wackenhut, Yet was not going to ever be a Supervisor for TSA. She told them to get lost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom