• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to support diversity--5.45 & Tokarev

I'd like to branch out a little. I'll never sell my Ruger Blackhawk or my Colt, but I was thinking of adding a foreign caliber semiauto rifle and pistol to my collection.

For a pistol, does anyone have any experience with a CZ52 or TT33 pistol? I've never fired a 7.62 Tokarev, and this is strictly for fun at the range.

For the semiauto rifle, I was first leaning towards a Saiga in 7.62x39, but now I'm curious if I have any options in 5.45x39, the Russian equivalent of a 223. I haven't seen much in the way of rifles that are readily available, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

The 7.62*25 tok round is great. It is a really hot round (that used to be really cheap). The tt33 Tokarevs and the cz52s are both really nice pieces. Have not looked in a long time as to what is out there but, the Org Russian, Polish and even the Norincos were all well made, nice shooters.

As another option, A Makarov in 9*18, is a lot of fun as well. Plenty of options there as well.

The CZ-52 is a tank, but the Tokarev is a nicer pistol IMO. For 5.45 rifles, either an AK or the S&W 5.45 AR-15.

I have a CZ52 and a TT33 and both are fun plinkers. The Cz is bigger and the sights are better regulated for me. The TT33 points more like a 1911 which is good for me but the rear sight is much too tall. You'll need to deepen the notch and file the top of the rear sight down. You can also drift it left or right. I've only shot the 5.45 once out of an AK74. It was accurate and the recoil was very light. Both rounds are still relatively cheap although I think most of the 7.62x25 is corrosive. No problem,just run a couple of patches with black powder solvent through the bore and clean as usual. Great choices.

If talking about Russian pistols, I recommend Makarov. It is reasonable accurate, very reliable, easy to handle and to care for, and a lot of fun at the range. It is my favorite fun gun [smile]

How about looking atthe Romak-3's in 7.62x54 ? The 7.62x54 ammo is still relatively cheap and available in surplus bulk, plus you can pick up cheap Mosin-Nagants for a bolt action also. You can reload a lot easier for 7.62x54 ( use .311 bullets) , I doubt there is ANY boxer brass available for 5.45x39, and who knows how long the imported ammo will be available, and I doubt US manufacturers will ever make it ( think about the 7.62x45 ammo for the VZ52 rifle)...

On the 5.45 front... if you can find one, there was an ssg 86 that was imported for a short while. It is an East German bolt action. I have been searching for one for years. They look awesome (supposed to be as well made as a Steyr SSG).

If you have a C&R the CZ52, as well as a lot of TT33s (not Norinco) and Makarovs are C&R eligible.

And to echo Yelena.. Take a close look at the Maks. Ammo is generally more available than the 7.62*25. They are great guns. A little on the large side by todays standards. But they are great shooters and collectors as well as being a nice carry gun. I have a DDR made mak that I would never sell.

The reason I was leaning more towards a CZ52 or TT33 (yes I have my C&R) over the mak is that for the fun factor, I like pistols with a little bang.

I wasn't planning on reloading the rifle, so steel cased berdan primed 5.45 would be fine. Living in Mass, where do I find an AK 74? I would love to get an M&P in that caliber, but I assume it would be a long wait, a lot of money, and a bit of a hassle (sent out to make it mass ok, etc)

Back
Top Bottom