Trying to protect my Garand

mark schultz

NES Member
I have a .308 Garand and some Defender Ammunition Co. 175 gr. TMK Match ammo that I would like to try but am feeling cautious. The box says the muzzle velocity is 2600 fps. Any thoughts?

Mark

175 grain should be ok. I use 170 grain Lapua FMJ in 30.06. 2600 fps is around match velocity loads for usgi ammo. I would not go with any heavier bullets as they might/will damage the operating system.

Heavy bullets dont hurt op rods, high port preasure does.
The port pressure is dictated by the burn rate of the powder.
I dont think you can really get to that level in the 308 until you get into heavier bullets with very slow powders.

You could always get one of those adjustable gas ports, but as long as you do like suggested and stay away from the "hunting velocity" stuff, you should be fine. Is your Garand a CMP with a new Criterion barrel? Mine is special grade with Criterion. Friggin' LOVE shooting that but it gets expensive so I'm getting geared up to reload .308 soon. Once my stash of factory .308/ 7.62NATO runs out.

Sorry, somehow missed this until now.

175 gr. at 2600 should be fine. Most factory match ammo isn't going to be loaded that hot, which appears to be the case for this.

If you have shot it already, how did it do?

the M72 national match ammo used 173's at 2640 fps - the NRA had an article this year on duplicating performance with 175 SMK's:
Tips On How To Duplicate 1950s-Era .30-06 M72 Match Load
Thats 30-06 so be careful not to load these for 308.
Unless tour shooting out to 600 yards the heavy bullet/heavy powder charge is not needed.
Also remember that when LC or any Manufacture loads ammo its not the same powder we get in the jugs.
So just be careful.
one of my pet loads for 308 in my M1 308 is 110 nosler varmageddon and sierra 2121 125 grainers. Around 2700 fps with the garand safe powders they shoot very well BUT im to cheap so I run Nosler 155/168 at half the price.
I also load down in lower range of load data. Im only shooting 200 yards. As soon as I find a cast load that functions and holds -3moa I will run that too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom