• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to get back in -- USMC infantry to Army Aviation

Thanks... I've got a long road ahead. Should be swearing in this week, then hopefully getting some solid class dates for the fall (contingent on my clearance coming back in time).

Mike

Lol. You can take the Marine out of the Corps, but you can't take the Corps. out of the Marine!

Had my first drill... Pretty much in a holding platoon of a few other guys (and girls) waiting for school seats. In the mean time, get to have a little fun!

Didn't realize how breezy it gets back there... easily 150+ MPH winds with the rotor wash. My face looks like it does skydiving.

Gorgeous day over the cape.

Mike

Last edited:
It was even more fun in the UH-1, where you've facing out. Double fun when you're wearing a pack and sitting out on the edge of the seat.

Huey Slicks were exactly my experience. Blackhawks, not so much.
Muzzles Down!

Mike, I envy you... and proud!

Outstanding! I always loved open door banking at tree-top level. Counting pine cones...

Me too. Until one day at Ft Lewis when the guy across from me projectile-vomited on my rucksack. We were out in the woods for the next week, and I smelled it the whole time.

I’m always amazed more people don’t join up. For many civilians, “helo ride” or “jumping out of planes” are bucket-list items. In FORSCOM units, they’re just an average Tuesday night.

Had my first drill... Pretty much in a holding platoon of a few other guys (and girls) waiting for school seats. In the mean time, get to have a little fun!

Didn't realize how breezy it gets back there... easily 150+ MPH winds with the rotor wash. My face looks like it does skydiving.
31948100_10200202761692110_9080616077079085056_n.jpg

Gorgeous day over the cape.
31543377_10200202762372127_1056518854819184640_n.jpg

Mike

At what point did the pilot tell you that you were just ballast... ;)

Hey brother you make me proud that uniform is all squared away have at it 5811

Actually... hahah funny you should say that... those boots are out of regs (USMC RAT boots). The army is supposed to issue you gear when you join, but they are a bit slow so bought one set of my own uniform, boots being 100s of dollars they told me just to wear those. I've since acquired a pair of army boots, but if they don't have my stuff by WOCS it looks like I'll be spending a grand or so on uniforms.

At what point did the pilot tell you that you were just ballast... ;)

Oh it was understood!

Mike

Back in the day Mike, I used to take candidates on orders for flight school on orientation flights in the Huey. Had them sit in the driver's seat to get the real picture. Times and airframes have changed I guess. In any event, they got some hands-on time to get an idea of what they were getting into.

Pretty sure army currently requires 2 rated pilots in pretty much everything. Even the "solo's" at ruck from what I understand have 2 students in the cockpit.

Mike

Pretty sure army currently requires 2 rated pilots in pretty much everything. Even the "solo's" at ruck from what I understand have 2 students in the cockpit.

Mike

The Blackhawk you were in is a two pilot aircraft, so is the 47 and Apache. Loach, Huey and 58, you could sit in the left seat and enjoy a different perspective.

I've since acquired a pair of army boots, but if they don't have my stuff by WOCS it looks like I'll be spending a grand or so on uniforms.
I'm not sure what the policy is for Warrants, but when I started active duty in 1986, commissioned officers received a one-time $600 uniform allowance. The amount had been the same since the '60s.

We had to spend about $1,200 on basic duty uniforms (BDUs, Class A green, and Army Blue), and replacement was on our own dime for as long as we stayed in.

I thought I've heard about crew chiefs getting the occasional ride. Maybe I made that up.
Mike

It was SOP in my unit to give crew chiefs gunners and CE's as much stick time as they wanted.

Previously it never occurred to 'the higher-up's...pun intended", that one bullet could take both pilots out.

The AC was still conscious and got the ship into transitional lift before he passed out. The gunner somehow applied pressure to all 4 legs and the crew chief flew the aircraft to the 25th Div medi-vac pad with a little assistance from our flight leader. The landing was a bit of a 'skid spreader, but mission accomplished.

Us 'back seaters' couldn't buy a drink after that...lol

War stories in general are less cool these days haha.

I'm not sure what the policy is for Warrants, but when I started active duty in 1986, commissioned officers received a one-time $600 uniform allowance. The amount had been the same since the '60s.

We had to spend about $1,200 on basic duty uniforms (BDUs, Class A green, and Army Blue), and replacement was on our own dime for as long as we stayed in.

So I came into the Guard as an E5 and am waiting for my WOCS/IERW seat. Part of the deal for coming in is I am supposed to get an entire initial issue, 4 utilities, 2 pairs of boots, dress uniforms, etc. While I'm sure it'll eventually go through, seems I could be at WOCS before that, and in that case I'll be going on a bit of a shopping spree.

Mike

I think this is the only avatar I've ever had... so I'll probably keep it.

Mike

you're lucky...admin took mine away from me and told me to change it up a bit

damnit...i can't find the picture but she was haht! frickin' haht.

and welcome to the POG life...there's still some fun to be had :D

it's a damn shame those panty dropping dress blues are going to have to sit in the closet and get swapped out for army swag.

just for the record (because i know eventually i'm going in a similar direction you did), how's the army? is it tough trying to fit in as a Marine? i just wonder/worry if i'd be a little too 'intense' for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom