1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Trying to figure out this irrigation system

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Prepper, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Some of you may have noticed from another thread that I'm now the proud co-owner of a mobile home in a 55+ park, with my mother living in it. Anyway, this house came with something I have no experience in, an irrigation system. Mom says her grass is turning brown, so I'm thinking I may want to figure out this irrigation system and get it working. Who can give me some pointers?

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at, but here's what I see. First, there are obviously the heads placed around the house, and the poly pipe they connect to doesn't look too far down. That's kind of in shambles, with some heads down and others stuck in the up position, and tilted instead of the vertical I would hope for. So, I'm guessing I got some work to do to straighten that out.

Next, there's a tool shed with an Orbit control box (model 57666) mounted in it, and electricity going to it; it currently has power and an accurate time. It says "6 station", whatever that means. What I'm puzzled by is that no water is run to this thing. A wire runs out of it -- I have no idea where that goes. Should there be some kind of solenoid somewhere that this wire would cause to move back and forth to control the water flow? Where might that be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also having trouble figuring out how the water supply hooks up to this. I don't see any kind of permanent connection running from under the house into the ground (other than the incomgin supply line). Outside the house, I see your usual water spigots, 2 of them... that's not it. And, this thing pictured below sticking out of the ground. Water does not flow out of this if I open the valve, so I'm thinking this is some kind of spot to hook up an incoming water supply from a hose? It also has some kind of pressure release contraption at the top, that hissed when I rotated it 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

But, nothing about that looks like it would control water flow to the heads. I'm baffled by that. What might I look for?

2. EC1

EC1 NES Member

without being a smart ass, is there a connection to a water source?

3. rosco61

rosco61 NES Member

There should be a green box flush mounted in the grass somewhere close to the supply line. also look for a wire from that control box running to the valves mounted in the flush mounted in the ground box. Follow that wire from the controller to the solenoids.

JayMcB and Prepper like this.
  4. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That's what I was asking about... I have no idea!

5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Thanks, I'll try to find something like that when I'm there this weekend. Note that all I can tell from the shed is that the wire runs under the ground after leaving the shed... but to where, I have no idea yet.

6. TLB

TLB

The valves are likely buried in the yard with a green box(es) over them. The wires run out to the yard to open the valves for each zone. Check YouTube for sprinkler spring start up and go from there.

Prepper likes this.
  7. northny

northny NES Member

Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
    It looks like you have 5 zones. Each is controlled by a solenoid triggered by control panel. The control panel should be in on. Get manual for it on line. The solenoid for each zone will be outside usually in a green and black plastic container set in ground. They most likely are in one place but not always. You should also have a main water line to feed system with both one or more valves to shut it off and a back flow preventer. The back flow preventer may also have shut off valves on it. You will need to follow water line to solenoid opening valves along way.

Prepper likes this.
  8. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Is something like 5 zones typical? I'm wondering why they wouldn't just want every sprinkler to come on at same time, then go off at same time. It is a very small yard, maybe 10 to 15 feet of grass around house.

9. northny

northny NES Member

Nothing typical each design to need. My system has only two or four sprinkler heads per zone. I was looking at wire in control panels to guess zones. When you get manual on control panel review the programs in system and u can see how many zones programmed and how often they turn on for how long at what time. You can change all of those items

10. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I just watched a couple of youtube videos... okay, I see what you all mean by the green box. I'll be on the lookout for that, as I could have easily missed it. It might be behind the oil tank, where the ground around it has a layer of crushed stones.

I don't recall any incoming water supplies that resemble what I see in those videos though, that's why I'm wondering if that odd valve coming out of the ground is some kind of cheap-o way to supply water to a low budget system without having to do any real plumbing work. (Otherwise, what's it for?)

11. northny

northny NES Member

Thing coming out of ground is just a spigot with hose bib to connect a hose or fill a watering can.

Prepper likes this.
  12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Bummer. Somehow a valve to that is shut off so nothing comes out, not that it matters to me since this small yard hardly even needs 2 spigots, let alone this extra third one.

So, I'm guessing finding the hook up to the irrigation system is going to be less fun than I hoped... if it's under the house, I have 18 inches of cramped dirty space to crawl through.

13. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

hmmm i was going to say four zones.
    white is common.

you could use a metal detector, look at where those colored wires in the cable go outside, and trace down the green plastic box where the four solenoid valves are by following the cable with a metal detector.

AHM, xjma99 and Prepper like this.
  14. arsco

arsco NES Member

That spigot on the stand pipe might just be a hack n wack way to feed the system. Feed some water to it and see what happens

xjma99 likes this.
  15. northny

northny NES Member

Prepper is this on a well or municipal water ?

If you see a hose near one of the spigots that goes into the ground it could be the spigot and hose feeds the sprinklers?

16. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I might actually be able to do that. While cleaning out the massive amount of junk from Mom's old house, one of the items I found was a medal detector, Radio Shack, probably about 1978. I wonder if it still works. If it doesn't, it gives me an excuse to buy a new toy.

17. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

The house doesn't have its own well, but the park does, and it is shared. At least, I think so. Now I'm wondering, because they only allow water on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but why would that matter if the park has its own well?

Yes, I'm still thinking this mystery spigot is to feed the irrigation system with a garden hose, but I'm not sure. They left a garden hose coiled up right next to it, as if it was recently connected to it last year for whatever purpose.

18. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i would hook up the hose the the spigot, turn on solenoid 1 (try to find the owners manual online), and go outside and see if water is spurting up somewhere

edmxz2002 and xjma99 like this.
  19. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

You may have multiple ZONES because the pressure and volume of the well water may only be able to drive a few sprinkler heads. The control is set up to feed 4 zones with a common back to the controller. The wire feeds 24v to the sprinkler heads and that activates the solenoid to let water flow.

The park may only allow watering on specific days to allow it to recover. The water and electricity will meet at the other end of that wire, and the re SHOULD BE a backflow preventer at the point where the water supply meets the sprinkler system

20. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

4 zones.

If air hisses out when you opened spigot, it was likely blown out in the winter. If heads popped up, they may not have blown the system down well enough.

21. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

22. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

If her water pressure sucks thats pretty common, most yards have at least 3+ zones. Seems kind of odd for it to be that much, but might
    have drippers for plants/shrubs and shit like that, too.

-Mike

23. zboys

zboys NES Member

If its in a trailer park, ask the front office?

24. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It's actually not that controlled... It's not like everyone has identical units put there by the park... Everyone does their own thing with quite a bit of variation. Although it is possible they might have some kind of document about approval for an irrigation system.

25. WanMan99

WanMan99 NES Life Member NES Member

The picture of the controller shows it is in the off position. have you tried moving it to "auto"? That is how my system works, definitely read the manual and start tracing out all of the components. It is difficult at first if you never had an inground system but you should be able to pick it up quickly. My biggest issue in my house when I moved in was that the system had been winterized and I need to open up a few valves and shut 2x bleeder screws. After that I turned on the power to my well pump (irrigation only pump) and then proceeded to test each zone one at a time (I have a 9 zone system). Water pressure can usually only run about 5x - 7x sprinkler heads at a time (at least for my system).
    Good luck

AHM likes this.
  26. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It is in off position because I know it is not currently in a non winterized state. At least it better not be since the place was unoccupied and for sale over the winter. There was no one to activate it or give any care to it. If it wasn't actually winterized, then there will be breaks everywhere.

I don't live there and am only there occasionally so I can't just put it in auto and leave, only to discover awful things goojg wrong when the schedule decides to activate stuff. Mom will never figure it out or even notice there is an issue unless maybe the whole yard floods and she starts to wonder why it is flooded. Her skills are so bad that I can't even talk her into unplugging a device while on the phone with her.

27. WanMan99

WanMan99 NES Life Member NES Member

There is also a "Manual" setting that you can use to run a single zone at a time for testing, or if you don't want to run in auto mode. I see it on the controller image but it is a different model from mine so I am not positive on how you would approach running manual watering.

28. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

[rofl][rofl]

10' of lawn. 5 (ok, 4) zones.

I'd suspect someone connected all of them because there were that many wires OR maybe specialty heads (lawn vs. beds).

Are you SURE that spigot is outgoing and not incoming? I would think with that much pipe above ground it would be a burst-o-rama in the winter time.

29. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

We will be there Saturday. I could very well discover they ran 4 wires but only have one valve.

I'm still betting that spigot is supposed to be there to feed the system with a garden hose. Otherwise yes it would have frozen. Why would water come out it? The house already has 2 obvious working faucets, so only a crazy person would make a pipe come from under side of house, under ground, and pop back up elsewhere to supply water. Each winter some valve elsewhere would have to be shut off then water blown out of the remaining pipe. That would be wicked retahded.

Of course, if this thing is to feed the system, obvious lack of backflow device is obvious.

30. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Can help with the sprinklers as I don't have one, but I am a lawn Nazi.
    Run them deep and infrequent.
    My neighbor has a whole lawn system over 3/4 an acre, she runs them constantly, and my lawn looks much better than hers.
    Water can help, but it's not always about the water.