• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to Determine Concealed Carry Method

I’ve been considering carry concealed for some time and recently decided to move in that direction.

For maximum concealment I am leaning towards IWB, but I’m not sure. When you first started carrying how did you determine the method you would use?

I am planning on carrying a commander sized 1911. In addition I am 5’8” 215 lbs.

Read a lot. Talked to people. Tried different methods in classes, and bought/sold a shitload of holsters.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Take a few courses. Matt at Downrange Firearms Training has an intro to CC course that I hear is quite good. You will get to try a bunch of holsters, and that will make up for the course tuition alone. I have about $300 in old holsters I don't even use, but have been too lazy to sell.

Read a lot. Talked to people. Tried different methods in classes, and bought/sold a shitload of holsters.

All of this, but mostly the last part. Buy a good belt for starters and go from there. I really liked the C-TAC until I tried the Raven Concealment VanGaurd 2, but they don't make that for the 1911.

I am similar size but about 20-25 lbs lighter and I carry a commander in a iWB holster. I like the crossbreed or a DMV Bullard leather holster. Both work well it just depends on what i am wearing. For shorts, the crossbreed works out well. For jeans, the leather works better for me.

The first thing to do is to figure out where you want to carry. Knowing this ahead of time can save you some cash on holsters you'll never use. Spend some time tucking your carry piece in your waistband and moving it around your body and trying to reach for it. Find a location where you can reliably grip the handle when you "reach".

The last thing you want to be doing when you need your gun is fishing for the handle or dropping it on the draw because you only got two fingers on the handle The classic TV center of the back location is good for having it out of the way and conceals well, until you lean forward. Then, depending on the holster and gun, you'll print like crazy. For instance a mechanic with a gun on his back leaning over the engine of a car is not hiding anything. Take a look at my screen name and ask me how I know. [grin]

I carry a 92fs, so it is a relatively big gun ccw wise. I carry it in the 4 o'clock position. With it in that position it conceals well. It just seems to fit right in under my ribcage and arm nice and snug. But as soon as I take a half step back with my right leg and reach for it, the handle comes away from my body naturally so I can easily grab the whole handle and the gun is ready to go as soon as it leaves the holster. No having to fumble around getting a "full" grip on it.

For the same reason I won't use any holster that doesn't have the whole grip above my belt line. Some tend to ride too low and only leave the last 2 finger grooves above the belt. Just a few things to consider...

All of this, but mostly the last part. Buy a good belt for starters and go from there. I really liked the C-TAC until I tried the Raven Concealment VanGaurd 2, but they don't make that for the 1911.

Most here that have carried for some time will say these two things and rightly so.

I had purchased many quality holsters for various revolvers and pistols and I just did not like the way they felt half way through the day. Finally I took an advanced pistol class in the early 90's and purchased a new belt in preparation for it. I have never looked at a holster since without considering what belt it will/would go on. No problems with holsters after that.

Search NES for a 'good belt' threads. Good luck.

Good luck.

Definitely be prepared to purchase and try out a lot of holsters until you find the right one.

I really like a lot of paddle holsters, but ultimately I found I wasn't carrying very often because I couldn't conceal properly with those things. Even though IWB doesnt feel as nice to me, I carry it because of the cloths I like to wear (they are shorter and dont conceal much).

You'll need to find a holster that feels nice but also works well with your chosen clothing and weapon choices. If you plan on carrying every day, your clothing choices can make a big difference.

If youre carrying on your belt , spend the money and buy a real gunbelt. It'll last you decades of daily wear with reasonable care. Stay away from cheap holsters.Youd be surprised what you can find in gunshops in the "holster box"...they all have one .

Like the above said, buy a decent gun belt first. As for holsters, I bought a Crossbreed super tuck a few years ago and it works and fits well.

Much depends on how you dress. If you have to wear a tucked in button down everyday, IWB may be the only real option. If so, you really can't do much better than a Crossbreed Super tuck or similar and a very good gun belt. The Galco King Tuk is a bit cheaper and just as good, if not better, in my opinion. I own both.

But there are drawbacks to IWB carry. The first is comfort. Especially if you are a stocky guy. Sooner or later, even with a relatively small gun, that sucker is going to dig into your side, and you can't really re-position a IWB much. Another draw back is that most IWB holsters are kydex or similar hard material to make re-holstering easy. Not the friendliest for your guns finish.

Most of the time I carry OWB in a leather holster and I skip the belt loop at 3:00. I wear an un-tucked button down over the gun. This allows me to slide the gun to the rear when driving and slide it forward for concealment. 8 months of the year I carry a Sig 229 this way and it is a pretty big carry gun. Very comfortable with a Galco Concealed carry holster and a good belt.

I also have a few really good shoulder holsters. In the summer I can wear a pair of shorts and a tshirt and just throw a short sleeved button down over it. Very comfortable and 2 spare mags at the ready.

I have been carrying for years and still haven't figured it out, I carry a 17 glock full size with a IWB and still can not get use to it. I am on the heavy side (Hey round is a shape you know) so reholstering sometimes is difficult and I have not found a comfort level with it yet.
I just moved to an OWB Black hawk and I like it a lot but concealment is difficult so I agree with some its going to be a personal preference
and you will be trying a few different holsters. Just don't buy an expensive one until you find the fit your lookng for.

I also have a few really good shoulder holsters. In the summer I can wear a pair of shorts and a tshirt and just throw a short sleeved button down over it. Very comfortable and 2 spare mags at the ready.

Vertical or horizontal? What do you carry in there?

I just received my Richie Gunleather vertical holster for my S&W 39, and while it is fantastic (pivots on the draw!), it is bulky. I think it will be strictly a fall and winter carry method under neath my bomber jacket.

4 or 5 o'clock for me. IWB. 3" 1911. I have a few different gun belts that I use and a high quality leather holster by Brigade Gunleather (think similar to Milt Sparks).

I like the conceal-ability of IWB. I spent the entire day at the Aquarium last week with my son. I was constantly picking him up and putting him down without worrying about my pistol "peeking" out from under my sweatshirt.

A good gun belt and holster are essential if you plan on carrying it all day, every day. Once you figure out your preferred carry method, spend the money on good gear you won't regret it.

I tried the cheap stuff in the beginning. I also did OWB and finally settled on what I have now several years ago.

Last edited:
+1 on the recommendation of a good belt and quality IWB holster. I use a 1.5" wide Beltman belt and a Crossbreed Supertuck holster at 3 to 4 o'clock. My 4" XD9 conceals very well there and is quite comfortable.

I've tried them all and own most of them. My current long term favorite is appendix carry with a Fricke Archangel. My personal opinion--lots of advantages over 3-4 o'clock, and I can live with the disadvantages. Don't know how well it would work for 5'8" 215, but give it a think.

For any kind of IWB I recommend an undershirt between you and the gun, even when you're just wearing a T-shirt or polo over it. I wear the "beater" type under my T-shirts. Nice and thin.

And of course as others have said, if you don't start with a good quality belt you won't find a satisfactory holster. I use Ares and Crossbreed belts. Good stuff.

I would second spending the time in a Intro to CC Class. GOAL also has one and Jon brings boxes of holsters and blue guns to test. Another easy one if you're worried is a small revolver or something like the Colt Mustang or Sig P238 and get a pocket holster. Then it's just in your pocket with your change and such. The pocket holster will print like a pack of smokes or a pack of gum...so no one will even notice.

Again, you need to try to find what's comfy and then go from there. Try carrying something big to carrying something small. My uncle carries a NAA .22 because his thought is it's small...goes right into his pocket and easier than something digging into his sides...means he'll carry it more and he says anything is better than nothing.

Ask this question to 10 different people and get 12 different answers.

For any kind of IWB I recommend an undershirt between you and the gun, even when you're just wearing a T-shirt or polo over it. I wear the "beater" type under my T-shirts. Nice and thin.

+1

This serves two purposes: providing a soft barrier between your skin and the gun (no sweat and less digging) and keeping your cover shirt in place. Wife beater + t-shirt = concealed.

This is one of those things that you just have to try for yourself. You can read all you want and get all the advice you want, but until you actually try it for some time you won't know whether or not it will work for you.

I recently took the Concealed Carry 1 course at Mass Firearms School. I had the opportunity to examine a variety of holsters, but not try anything on. I do plan to take the Concealed Carry 2 course there as well.

Yeah, not sure if appendix carry will work currently, but my recent shift toward concealed carry was precipitated by some recent weight loss, so if that continues I may take a look at it.

I have a LCR and a couple of small semi-autos that I plan evaluate for pocket carry.

A good beltman belt and using crossbreed supertucks will save you alot of time and headaches over junk off the shelf holsters.

When you get them, you just need to figure out a comfortable and concealable position on the waist line and you're good to go. Using this combo, I easily conceal some of the largest carry pistols (M&P 40 full size, full size 1911 government model, CZ 75's) under just a normal tshirt or polo on my 32" waist.

+1

This serves two purposes: providing a soft barrier between your skin and the gun (no sweat and less digging) and keeping your cover shirt in place. Wife beater + t-shirt = concealed.

Hmmm... I've been considering a Crossbreed but figured I would be tucking my undershirt over the gun and leaving t-shirt or polo untucked. Being a fat guy I seem to have my polos ride up more often than you skinny dudes and worry that unless I had something tucked over I would be left exposed.

I've tried them all and own most of them. My current long term favorite is appendix carry with a Fricke Archangel. My personal opinion--lots of advantages over 3-4 o'clock, and I can live with the disadvantages. Don't know how well it would work for 5'8" 215, but give it a think.

And of course as others have said, if you don't start with a good quality belt you won't find a satisfactory holster. I use Ares and Crossbreed belts. Good stuff.
The wife beater is up there with a good belt and holster.

I found that IWB is the way to go for me. Two reasons......one is that the majority of the gun is hidden and not so much of a worry about my shirt riding up and exposing the fire arm.....two is that when the fire arm is inside the waste band my belt pulls the fire arm closer to my body which prints less under my shirt. I have tried an outside waste band holster and after carrying IWB for so long my revolver felt like it was flopping around which felt awkward and also when I bring my arm up to shoulder level the bottom of my pistol was visable.

just my 2 cents.

The best advice I ever received is that you have to dress to carry. Once you figure out what is most comfortable for you (IWB, pocket carry, etc), buy clothes that fit in and properly conceal your carry piece

Fencer,

What manufactures of shoulder holsters do you have? I am looking for something for an S&W 1066 and have searched some of the brands mentioned on this forum but have come up empty (IWB or OWB will not work for me). Thanks.

James

Back
Top Bottom