• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to buy my first pistol

Unless you can readily drop several thousands of dollars on guns, do a lot of research first. From this thread alone I would suggest researching Glock models, as well as doing a lot of research on .40 vs 9mm - there is a tremendous amount of information out there and I would suggest trying to soak up as much of it as possible.

Yes I'm really new to this. I'm just getting into the gun community and looking around and shopping around for something. I really haven't had the time to go out yet but once i do I'm pretty sure I'll be in heaven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you search around enough youll find that the glock 19 is probably the most popular carry pistol around. For capacity size/carry and shootability. Theres not much that compares to it. It will also have a way better trigger in ma than any m&p will. 19 is a good gun for resale should you not like it for some reason, because its so popular.

If you want a 40 buy the glock 23. You can always buy a 9mm barrel for it. Or the glock 32 you can fit 14 rounds of 357 sig in a g23 preban

I also suggest you do your homework. If your paying over 550 for a new gen 4. Your doing it wrong.

I think that you should start with a decent target .22 and learn the basics of pistol marksmanship. It is very easy to develop bad habits/techniques if you start with a center-fire, especially a double action pistol with a Mass compliant trigger.

4 pages in and still, I feel like the OP still doesn't have an idea of what is on the market.

KMP, there are 2 basic ways to go out there and find out what works for you, both involve shooting.
1) Go to Mass Firearms School and rent a bunch of firearms in different calibers, PM them here on the forum, I believe they even offer an into class for new shooters such as yourself
2) Ask your friend that has firearms to invite you to a range, ahead of time, buy a box of ammo in the calibers your interested in to cover the cost of your friends ammo. Most people are very friendly and if you strike up a conversation at the range, they might even let you shoot their firearm (it's their call so don't be offended if they say no).

Finally, I did this for my wife, and not sure if your a male of female, but if your the later, Fall River Rod and Gun offers a "Ladies Night" on the third Tuesday every month hosted by Daria Bruno: http://www.fallriverrgc.com/index.php/44-latest-news/55-ladies-night-december-16-2014

My first pistol was a full size M&P 40. I quickly realized I didn't like 40 cal and the cost so I bought a storm lake conversion barrel. You can't really go wrong with a full size M&P, Ruger SR9, Glock etc. Depends if you want just a range gun or just a CC gun or both.

My first pistol was a full size M&P 40. I quickly realized I didn't like 40 cal and the cost so I bought a storm lake conversion barrel. You can't really go wrong with a full size M&P, Ruger SR9, Glock etc. Depends if you want just a range gun or just a CC gun or both.

So are you saying a 9mm is better for carrying and range? After everybody talking about a 9mm Im kinda leaning more and more to the Glock but just have to really test it out and put some bullets through it.... How's the recoil on the Glock 9

First gun, go with a 9mm. You can shoot more for cheaper and hone your skills. Both M&P and Glock are great guns. If you get the M&P in MA just know you will have to do a trigger job on and you will want to have a gunsmith do it for you as a new shooter. APEX trigger if you do that. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either gun. Comes down to feel and price.

Last edited:
try a few and see what fits your hand best and naturally points best for you. no one else's opinion is worth dick.

Without starting a flame war about Ruger, has anyone suggested a Ruger MK3? That is a fantastic pistol that will be sure to last and hand down.

So are you saying a 9mm is better for carrying and range? After everybody talking about a 9mm Im kinda leaning more and more to the Glock but just have to really test it out and put some bullets through it.... How's the recoil on the Glock 9

No I was saying you need to figure out if you want a range gun, CC gun, or both before buying. But yes I think 9mm is the way to go for first time buyers since it's cheaper and less recoil (depending on the gun of course, a full size 1911 .45 won't kick all that much more than a M&P/Glock due to the weight etc.). I have very little experience with Glocks, I think I've shot a 19 and a 27 once or twice- great triggers and recoil is not bad at all. I just don't like paying the MA premium but it is nice to be able to have preban "hi cap" mags compared to the M&P or SR pistols.

As others have said, you will want/need to get a trigger job on the M&P but the SR9 has a great trigger right out of the box. Glocks have good factory triggers as well but they can be lightened/reset shortened to make them even better.

Without starting a flame war about Ruger, has anyone suggested a Ruger MK3? That is a fantastic pistol that will be sure to last and hand down.

I would definitely recommend a .22 first also, though as my GF told me "I am not sure people take you seriously when you tell them you only have a .22".

I didn't read any of the previous comments. If in MA, I would go for the G19 as it has a higher resale in MA. Also, if this is your first pistol i'm assuming you might be newer to pistol shooting? in which case the G19 will prove a softer shooter than the MP40, and cheaper ammo. My .02

HMBS4.jpg

For whatever its worth, which is not much, my first pistol was an M&P compact .40.
I eventually got a 9mm conversion barrel. Haven't shot any .40 in probably a year or two. Would have just got the gun in 9mm if I were to do it again.

What do you guys think is a great first pistol? MP 40 or Glock 19

Depends upon what you are looking for? CCW, Deep concealment gun, fun range gun, home defense gun?

IMO, Glock 19 is the most versatile gun out there. It is a pretty fun range gun, you can carry it year round, and it is a good HD pistol.

If you are interested in the .40, G23 is basically the same same frame as a G19. I have one (G23), have carried it plenty, and spent many days at the range with it.

glock overated. everybody has to have one . mp nice unit w/ trigger done. how about a steyer. the glock yes pre-bans available but if you can't hit what you need to w/10 rounds you probably should start throwing rocks. go with what you are comfortable with I like the sig 938.

Get whichever gun you can afford that looks best to you, learn it like the back of your hand, carry it if you can and shoot the shit out of it. Then you will be able to make a better informed decision as to which gun you REALLY want.

if it's your first gun, get a full size (not compact or subcompact). beyond this it's all meaningless because you will outgrow the gun and want something fancier before you know it. in MA, SR9, M&P9 or G17/19 are all easy to find and excellent 1st guns IMO.

You don't need a 22 for your first pistol, but they are nice to shoot.

My first pistol was a G19. I went in for a G17, but the G19 fit me better.

My carry gun is an M&P40c. The G19 is too big for me as I'm a really skinny bastard and wanted something smaller.

I prefer to shoot the G19 at the range. I'm really accurate with it is well. I don't find the recoil of the M&P40c to be all that bad. I let first time shooters try it and they enjoy it as well.

If you are looking for mostly a carry gun, I say M&P40c. For mostly range, I say G19. Both can do either. In the end, you will buy a whole bunch of pistols so you may end up with both anyway.

I always love reading that your first hand gun needs to be a small caliber because of recoil.

I guess everyone forgets that tens of millions of people learned how to shoot .45 caliber just fine in the military for about 75 years.

Go to a shop and try holding each model in your hands. A bit part of choosing a pistol is how well and comfortably your hands grip it. Can your fingers reach the trigger and all the controls comfortably as well? Everyone's hand sizes, shapes, and dexterity is different and you need to understand what feels right before even considering the differences between the quality/features/caliber of a gun.

Back
Top Bottom