• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying to buy my first pistol

of course it depends on how it feels and shoots to you, but:

glocks will ill hold value in ma much better than an MP, and there are millions of accessories out there too. Mags are a lot cheaper than mp pistols.

Where you live, OP?

try before you buy. If you're in S. NH, or N. MA go to Bob's (Salisbury), or Manchester Firing Line (MFL). Both are a reasonable drive & have a decent selection of pistols for you to try. Not sure if Mass Firearms Acacamy range (Hopkington/Holliston?) is open to non-members.

They also have quite a selection.

Where you live, OP?

try before you buy. If you're in S. NH, or N. MA go to Bob's (Salisbury), or Manchester Firing Line (MFL). Both are a reasonable drive & have a decent selection of pistols for you to try. Not sure if Mass Firearms Acacamy range (Hopkington/Holliston?) is open to non-members.

They also have quite a selection.

I'm actually going shooting out there this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold two M+P 9mm's (one with and one without a trigger job) and own a Glock 19 that I shoot a lot, if that's any help....

I wasn't wild about MP, glock is good but not the end all be all. My advice first decide what the purpose is. Range, concealed, impress everyone else? That will heavily shape what gun is best and point what you want. I went 9 mm over 40 but that was because I wouldn't do well with the fortay hate.

IMO everyone's first centerfire pistol should be a 9mm.

It takes at least 1000rds to get really comfortable shooting. That alone is $100 in your pocket.

Last edited:
Glock 23 is in 40. I like the 40. But I have a g27 with a 9mm barrel as well. I like glocks, lightweight compared to all metal frames, prebans are around, mags interchangeable, and consistent trigger pull. I have a g19, 23, and a 27. All good

Personally revolvers are a good first gun. As I get older i like them more and more. They just work. Never a mag failure

It sounds like you're really new to this...my advice would be read this website for another month or two before you buy a pistol. Both types of guns and the laws/good habits that surround them.

IMO everyone's first centerfire pistol should be a 9mm.

It takes at least 1000rds to get really comfortable shooting. That alone is $100 in your pocket.

I'm gonna call bull shit on this .
I know of a lot of people who bought some thing other then 9mm and had no problem.
If you got bitch mitts maybe that's a problem (no offense to the lady's).
I've taken a few girls who never shot before and they did better with a 1911 in 45 vs a glock 17 in 9mm.

I'm gonna call bull shit on this .
I know of a lot of people who bought some thing other then 9mm and had no problem.
If you got bitch mitts maybe that's a problem (no offense to the lady's).
I've taken a few girls who never shot before and they did better with a 1911 in 45 vs a glock 17 in 9mm.

Omg!! Questioning the supremacy of the 9mm??? Sacrilege.

Anyway totally agree with you. Each their own. People pissed all over the 38 as bad. Trying finding it.

What do you guys think about the Ruger SR 40? Does the glock also come in a 40?

Glock 22 is full size 40, 23 is compact 40, 27 is subcompact 40. As goodlife30 said above, you can get a 9mm conversion barrel for each one, and a 357sig conversion barrel for each one. The barrels run ~110 give or take a few bucks, and you basically have 3 guns in 1.

Why ask? Just buy one, or both cuz you'll eventually end up with more than one. Shoot and learn what u like best. One person might prefer one gun and u might hate it.

GLOCK, personally not a fan of .40s. and the m&p if its in mass WILL need a trigger job. Glock trigger is nice and you can have pre ban magazines.

Glock hands down Over S&W! Plus the 9mm has less recoil for a first gun. Just don't pay outrageous price for a gen 2 that some of the local dealers have. If you do your homework you might just find a Gen 4 at a reasonable price. Not to mention, out of the box the M&P line are almost unshootable if it's a Ma trigger.

It sounds like you're really new to this...my advice would be read this website for another month or two before you buy a pistol. Both types of guns and the laws/good habits that surround them.

Yes I'm really new to this. I'm just getting into the gun community and looking around and shopping around for something. I really haven't had the time to go out yet but once i do I'm pretty sure I'll be in heaven

Yes I'm really new to this. I'm just getting into the gun community and looking around and shopping around for something. I really haven't had the time to go out yet but once i do I'm pretty sure I'll be in heaven

My best advice is to search the forum for info and comments on the guns that catch your eye. Use Google, type the name of the gun (or any other text) then site:northeastshooters.com it is how I have found info on different guns. Also there are lots of different first gun threads to read. It can be helpful to search and read a number of threads because you can find out stuff like s&w mp guns tend to need trigger work done, which is good to know before buying. Also maybe someone in your situation asked some questions you didn't think of and more experienced people assume you already know.

Back
Top Bottom