TRYING to apply, can't even get that far.

So my question is: How on earth do I apply? Am I doing something wrong? How do I walk the fine line between "persistent" and "super annoying"? I don't want to rub someone the wrong way and be denied, but I'm getting so frustrated at the fact that I haven't been able to even apply yet.

Is this standard, to have to wait a while for a window of opportunity?

EDIT: Okay, I'm just too impatient and should not try the week before a big holiday. I'm going down to apply now!
Thanks for all the good advice!

Last edited:
Is this standard, to have to wait a while for a window of opportunity?

It all depends on the town. Unfortunately we are the mercy of the licensing officer and the chief. If calling isn't getting it done and you know that he is in, I would go in person and try to see him right then and there.

Time to send a polite letter to your chief, and send a copy to your local politician, and a copy to Jim Wallace, the Executive Director of GOAL (_are_ a member, aren't you??) GOAL's number is (508) 393-5333.

I had to go in to my PD probably 6 times before my application was processed. They weren't trying to be difficult about it. I live in a small town with a small PD, and sometimes...well...things come up.

Keep trying.

Good advice there.

I had to go in to my PD probably 6 times before my application was processed. They weren't trying to be difficult about it. I live in a small town with a small PD, and sometimes...well...things come up.

Keep trying.

+1 be polite, but be persistent. We're (people looking to actually OBEY the firearms laws) pretty low on their priority list, even in good towns. Hang in there and good luck.

Definitely contact GOAL, so they can document it. But the core issue here is that PDs, which in cases like lunenburg, are small and unable to effectively deal with being a retail licensing office. You would think that the PDs would realize this and revolt but they like the power it gives them. Plus they know that if licensing became uniform, they would still have to handle fingerprinting and identity verification because the state would never foot the bill for doing it right.

Good luck. Join GOAL. Really, join GOAL.

you already left a voicemail leave it alone! lol. dont seem DESPERATE like "I NEED A GOD DAMN GUN RIGHT NOWWWWWWWWW"

i called for my appointment , left a message ONCE. and didnt get a call back until 3 weeks later. so it takes a LOT of patience. and i think its also a test of how much patience you have. and calling once every hour isnt going to get you anywhere.

Time to send a polite letter to your chief, and send a copy to your local politician, and a copy to Jim Wallace, the Executive Director of GOAL (_are_ a member, aren't you??) GOAL's number is (508) 393-5333.

Ditto.

I don't know how it's going to play out for you, but I'm rooting for ya. This is something to be stubborn about. You have a right to keep and bear. Stick with it - you'll be glad you did.

For the newer folk here, Cross-X is a highly regarded lawyer that has a wealth of experience in firearms law.

If I had a problem and he said do _____ to take care of it. I'd be inclined to accept his advice! [grin]

Okay, I just joined GOAL. I was waiting until I was employed and had some spare cash, but finding a job is taking a while, and it's sinking in how important it is to have organizations that support gun owners.

My advice (and I really don't know very much) is to be patient. Other towns in the area like Ashby only accept applications once a month...like someone said its just not at the top of their list of things to do. If you can't wait a couple days for the PD to contact you, you're gonna go insane waiting the 6 weeks for it to show up. Being pushy with the LEO taking your app is not going to win you any points when it comes to restrictions etc.

Relax and face the reality that you will not have an LTC in your hands till about September sometime. AND Be prepared to jump thru some hoops to get your application filed (letters, references, etc). While you are waiting, hook up with some NES members and start your list of guns that you want to buy (I shoot at HSC every weekend with a number of other people on this board).

When applying for my first handgun permit in the late 1980's in Norwood the police told me that I had to pick up my application between 10-12 on Thursday. After taking time off to get there, I was told they were all out and to come by next week. After my second trip they gave me an application and after six months of waiting and a call from me they gave me my permit with a big red RESTRICTED rubber stamped across the front and back. That is when I became NRA Life and joined GOAL.

wow.. that's awful.. They can't deny you for being annoying..

Of course they can. This is Massachusetts, where the Chief can deem you unsuitable simply for applying. Now if you hadn't applied, then you'd be a suitable person, Captain Yossarian.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom