• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TRYING TITEGROUP REDUX

rewster

NES Member
We just had a thread recently about pet loads for 9mm /Titegroup. Since I had only used Win 231 for 9mm and had come into a bottle of TG, the thread was very helpful !! Now I'm about to load a bunch of 45ACP and figured I'd ask about pet loads with TG. Anybody out there want to share some plinking loads ???

They're close on the burn chart, but I use 4.5 of bullseye for some slower than average steel plate ammo. What bullets are you loading with ?

Thanks for all the replies ! I agree wholeheartedly that Win231 works great. It's what I've been using for 20 years in 45ACP !!
The premise of the question was having acquired the Titegroup while searching for Win231, why not use it if there is a good load for it. I usually use 230 gr plated round nose or 200 gr plated SWC. Also have a good supply of 200 gr lead SWC. So, does anybody currently use TG for 45ACP and have a pet load that works well ? All I do is punch holes in paper when I get the chance !!!!! Thanks, again !

Thanks for all the replies ! I agree wholeheartedly that Win231 works great. It's what I've been using for 20 years in 45ACP !!
The premise of the question was having acquired the Titegroup while searching for Win231, why not use it if there is a good load for it. I usually use 230 gr plated round nose or 200 gr plated SWC. Also have a good supply of 200 gr lead SWC. So, does anybody currently use TG for 45ACP and have a pet load that works well ? All I do is punch holes in paper when I get the chance !!!!! Thanks, again !
I have been using tg with 185 grain clswc with 5 grains. Chrono a little faster than I usually run at about 1050fps but It works fine......no leading in the bore.....not the most accurate load but I run it for plate shoots. Your 200 grain lswc should be close to that charge weight. I'm sure the hodgedon website will give you data near that.

Also have a good supply of 200 gr lead SWC. So, does anybody currently use TG for 45ACP and have a pet load that works well ? All I do is punch holes in paper when I get the chance !!!!! Thanks, again !

So
Just a heads up-

Bare bottom lead doesn't fare well with titegroup.
I was at about 5 grs with 200 gr roundnose.
Might have been a low hardness lead, but the bottoms were melting. Had splatter-like marks, found it when I dug em out of the dirt.
Coated/ Plated didn't seem to show the same affect.

So
Just a heads up-

Might have been a low hardness lead, but the bottoms were melting. Had splatter-like marks, found it when I dug em out of the dirt.
Thanks for the warning. I'll stick with the plated or FMJ if I do go with the TG !!

So
Just a heads up-

I never thought about this. I've only used tg with hard cast and plated bullets. Like others habe said this powder burns HOT so would not surprise me if swaged lead projos would pose a problem.

I don't use TG for a lot but it is a great specialty powder that allows subsonic cycling of my full size Uzi 9mm 3.6g of TG with a 147 gr RN . This was a real PIA load to get running right. Uzi's need a VERY warm load to reliably cycle the heavy bolt. Getting the subsonic pressure curve was tricky.

Back
Top Bottom