Trust for NH and MA

flippedr6

NES Member
So here is my question I live in MA (ya it sucks) my friend lives in NH (yaaa)
I want to set up a trust with both of us on it. I want to be able to build an sbr down here and have him be able to get suppressors up there. But either of us be legally able to have them by ourselves if needed.

Also I know I need to get a yearly permission slip to transport over lines. Also I know I can't bring the suppressor down here. So how do I proceed I know I need a lawyer but I need one that does both MA and NH.

It's perfectly fine for a trust to have trustees living in different states.

TMK, the trust only exists in a single state, you either create a "New Hampshire Trust" or a "Massachusetts Trust".

Since you'll be purchasing suppressors at a dealer in NH, I would create a "New Hampshire Trust". It's perfectly fine for a trust to have trustees living in different states.

So here is my question I live in MA (ya it sucks) my friend lives in NH (yaaa)
I want to set up a trust with both of us on it. I want to be able to build an sbr down here and have him be able to get suppressors up there. But either of us be legally able to have them by ourselves if needed.

You can set up either a MA or NH trust. Either one will allow you to acquire suppressors, but the Form 4 will have to be submitted by your NH friend who will be a co-trustee of the trust. If you will be the primary trustee, then I would advise having a MA trust.

Also I know I need to get a yearly permission slip to transport over lines. Also I know I can't bring the suppressor down here. So how do I proceed I know I need a lawyer but I need one that does both MA and NH.

You'll submit a Form 20 to the ATF. Last I heard, approval was taking about 6-8 weeks.

If you have further questions, I'm happy to discuss offline.

form 5230 for relocation of NFA items across state lines, the good news is you can get one and have it good for a year.

have one person make the trust, might as well be you since you're asking. set your buddy up as a co-trustee and you guys will be good to go. you do what you want in MA, and he does what he wants in NH. you don't need a lawyer specializing in both states, you don't need anything other than a boilerplate trust online. my trust was created, signed, and notarized in MA and i've only ever used it in NH. nbd.

legally you both have the rights to all the trust property unless you write some language into the trust, but IANAL. you guys better be good friends! i've got a co-trustee, but she's my fiancee so it makes sense.

have one person make the trust, might as well be you since you're asking. set your buddy up as a co-trustee and you guys will be good to go. you do what you want in MA, and he does what he wants in NH.

One trust might work, but if you're both planning on contributing NFA items to the trust with the understanding that specific items held by the trust are meant to be treated effectively as "yours" and others as "his", two trusts (with each of you as a co-trustee of the other's trust) might be better.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some trusts give one trustee (usually a settlor-trustee) unilateral authority to act for the trust with the other trustees acting only by majority consent. If your trust has that provision then the other trustee will need your consent to act.

Back
Top Bottom