• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trump Supporter Draws Gun In Self-Defense After Politically Motivated Attack

I guess you had to be there... We don’t know the Intent, Means, Opportunity, and Preclusion factors. Either the police do and judged him in the right, or they are all Trump supporters too 😉

Read this essay A Nation of Cowards and remember that quote from The Shootist: “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Words to live by.

A Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania man drew his firearm in self-defense after a stranger threatened to assault him and knocked his “Make America Great Again” hat off his head at a local mall.

Its impossible to assess. Assault could be a slap in the face.
To really know,we would need to know.

1) what did the aggressor actually say. Big difference between, "I'm gonna stick this knife in your heart" and "I'm gonna slap your face".
2) what was the size/age/health of the aggressor.
3) what was the size/age/health of the victim. If the aggressor said he was going to "kick your ass". But he was a 5'5", 150 lb guy and the victim was 6' and 210, its very different than if the relative sizes were reversed.
4) what were the ages of the victim and aggressor.

These all affect the standard ability, opportunity and jeopardy factors.

Its impossible to assess. Assault could be a slap in the face.
To really know,we would need to know.

1) what did the aggressor actually say. Big difference between, "I'm gonna stick this knife in your heart" and "I'm gonna slap your face".
2) what was the size/age/health of the aggressor.
3) what was the size/age/health of the victim. If the aggressor said he was going to "kick your ass". But he was a 5'5", 150 lb guy and the victim was 6' and 210, its very different than if the relative sizes were reversed.
4) what were the ages of the victim and aggressor.

These all affect the standard ability, opportunity and jeopardy factors.

Assault is assault, players don't matter. In fact the guy hitting his hat off his head is an assault of sorts. You have the reasonable expectation of not being assuaulted for being out in public. And if he threatened more? yeah.

Uh no, the threshold for the use of deadly physical force in most states is a reasonable fear of grave injury or death.

Sorry, but this was not ethically justified in my humble opinion.

I'm glad it worked out that way. But it wasn't justified.

Applying ethics to a potentially dangerous situation that you weren't involved in is just the kind of armchair quarterbacking that I've come to love from NES

Assault is assault, players don't matter. In fact the guy hitting his hat off his head is an assault of sorts.

Not just an assault of sorts, it's straight-up assault. And battery.

Drawing a firearm and pointing it at the ground is potentially reasonable under those circumstances. Pointing it at the guy would have been another matter, and shooting yet another entirely.

So is it only a Mass thing that drawing is itself deadly force? As in if you’re drawing you’re equally cleared in firing? Or put another way, if you’re drawing and there isn’t an actual immediate threat (argument that you want to get out of before it turns to a fight that you don’t want to be in) you’re screwed.

That always confused me since cops draw without the imminent need for deadly force all the time.

Or am I mistaken and that was just a gun shop / internet rule of thumb.

So is it only a Mass thing that drawing is itself deadly force? As in if you’re drawing you’re equally cleared in firing? Or put another way, if you’re drawing and there isn’t an actual immediate threat (argument that you want to get out of before it turns to a fight that you don’t want to be in) you’re screwed.

That always confused me since cops draw without the imminent need for deadly force all the time.

Or am I mistaken and that was just a gun shop / internet rule of thumb.

Not true at all, nearly every state varies slightly to some degree or another.

-Mike

Assault is assault, players don't matter. In fact the guy hitting his hat off his head is an assault of sorts. You have the reasonable expectation of not being assuaulted for being out in public. And if he threatened more? yeah.

If a 90 year old woman flicks the back of your ear with her finger, its assault.

Does that justify you pulling a gun??

Back
Top Bottom