Trump administration violated federal law as 3D gun files should not be published online, judge says

SFC13557

NES Member
"
At the center of the case is Defense Distributed – a company formerly headed by gun-rights activist Cody Wilson – and its battle to post CAD files for 3D guns on its website. In 2015, Defense Distributed sued the federal government after the U.S. State Department forced the removal of the files from the internet.
The State Department under President Obama banned the posting of the gun blueprints because, among other reasons, it said the blueprints violated federal export laws since files could be downloaded outside the U.S.
The Trump State Department pushed back, effectively allowing Defense Distributed to publish CAD files for the production of 3D-printed weapons. Following this, eight states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit to stop publication of the blueprints. More states later joined the lawsuit.
In July 2018, Judge Lasnik granted Attorney General Ferguson’s request to block internet distribution of the files, the day before Defense Distributed planned to release them. The court later blocked the release of the files for the duration of the lawsuit.
Cody Wilson, however, had continued to sell guns directly to customers, taking advantage of a loophole."

2A wasn't enough. They want 1A now too? This is just as much about censorship of freedom of speech as we understand it in the current century, meaning digital communications of information. This sets of dangerous precedent of disallowing anything the government (and not necessarily the acting administration) doesn't like. Basically China.

To be clear, the files are just coordinates. Could be seen as blueprints or plans. Just very precise and in a format that machines can utilize to output exact specification duplicates. It is still just information though, not an actual gun, so that export BS is just wrong.

2A wasn't enough. They want 1A now too? This is just as much about censorship of freedom of speech as we understand it in the current century, meaning digital communications of information. This sets of dangerous precedent of disallowing anything the government (and not necessarily the acting administration) doesn't like. Basically China.

To be clear, the files are just coordinates. Could be seen as blueprints or plans. Just very precise and in a format that machines can utilize to output exact specification duplicates. It is still just information though, not an actual gun, so that export BS is just wrong.
This is what happens when uber Liberals are on the bench. They have an agenda and the Laws be damned.

Let's build a wall. Around the internet in America. LOL. How do we get to this place where a judge rules like this. (I actually know how - because current laws haven't caught up with technology. And with our present morons in DC, I don't see a good law coming down the pike anytime soon.)

Let's build a wall. Around the internet in America. LOL. How do we get to this place where a judge rules like this. (I actually know how - because current laws haven't caught up with technology. And with our present morons in DC, I don't see a good law coming down the pike anytime soon.)
Just more anti-gun partisan politics. Trumps judicial appointments become all the more crucial everytime BS like this comes up. Libs realize the can't consistently win at the ballot box so they need complicent Judges to do their dirty work. Obama and Holder knew it and that's one of the main reasons the Libs have declared Trump evil man who must be destroyed. McConnell is beating them at their own game.

Problem is, we shouldn't need any new laws on this topic, as this should technically already be covered under the Constitution and its amendments, the "Supreme law of the United States". If anything, interpretation should be adjusted to keep pace with technology, same as it should with 2A, but the underlying intent of 1A and 2A remain valid.

Problem is, we shouldn't need any new laws on this topic, as this should technically already be covered under the Constitution and its amendments, the "Supreme law of the United States". If anything, interpretation should be adjusted to keep pace with technology, same as it should with 2A, but the underlying intent of 1A and 2A remain valid.
Not according to anti-gun Libs. Remember, the "resistance" doesn't believe in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights because they were written by Old, Rich, White Slave Owning Men. They also don't believe WE(gun owning white conservatives) should have any power and should bow to their ignorent, anti-American ideology. We must repent our sins against humanity and pay reparations to all the people we have harmed and marginalized(Indians, Blacks, women, etc.)

I'm having trouble following... is it illegal again to "publish" these files online? Because if it is, I want to post these files to as many places I can, even though I have no idea how to use them (and I am sure it is very difficult to figure out how to properly use them).

Can get one of these though, right off of amazon!

View attachment 312872

Or you can download the PDF of that for free. What's in there is much more useful than some 3D printer files that to date maybe only a couple people have ever figured out how to use. Pipe with end caps and drilling a hole, that I can understand. 3D printer files that won't even work when you load into a printer, I don't got a clue, and I'm a geek guy.

I'm having trouble following... is it illegal again to "publish" these files online? Because if it is, I want to post these files to as many places I can, even though I have no idea how to use them (and I am sure it is very difficult to figure out how to properly use them).

The article makes it sound like they are saying publishing this online is akin to distributing guns over seas, as the internet allows access to download from anywhere. And because distributing guns overseas is illegal for everyone not .GOV, we have take down.

The article makes it sound like they are saying publishing this online is akin to distributing guns over seas, as the internet allows access to download from anywhere. And because distributing guns overseas is illegal for everyone not .GOV, we have take down.
That was the interpretation of the Obama admin so Bad Orange Man cancelling that decree must be an impeachable offense.

That was the interpretation of the Obama admin so Bad Orange Man cancelling that decree must be an impeachable offense.

I'm not a particularly big fan of this orange man you speak of (although, this impeachment business is nonsense), but that was the correct move in reversing that interpretation. It is information, not a firearm, and thus should not be blocked or you are going against the freedom of speech and press. Additionally, granting the government the power to decide what is good information and what is bad information at their discretion is extremely dangerous. It also doesn't make a lick of sense in that this is ok (below), but the 3D printing plans are not.

cdcfb8c8c3d3ea540fe09fefeda1cb7e.jpg

So by this logic, the Feds can ban publishing food recipes on the Internet without a special license because doing so constitutes an illegal food export?
Only if you have a replicator. Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

The issue, which I think is stupid, is that with the plans and a 3D printer, you can make the gun. It’s a stretch. But I understand it. Disagree but understand. FWIW, the 3D guns are pretty useless.

Just checked a torrent site. Bad news for the government, the files did NOT un-upload themselves from the internet. This very second 11 people are downloading "DefDist Defcad.org AR-15 Lower Receiver V5".

Just more anti-gun partisan politics. Trumps judicial appointments become all the more crucial everytime BS like this comes up. Libs realize the can't consistently win at the ballot box so they need complicent Judges to do their dirty work. Obama and Holder knew it and that's one of the main reasons the Libs have declared Trump evil man who must be destroyed. McConnell is beating them at their own game.

That remains to be seen. The conservative justices have dished out some major bullshit pure garbage rulings recently and haven't done anything 2A praise worthy in a long time. And in the very rare cases these people agree to hear a 2A case they word the ruling intentionally vague because no one on that court has the spine to give their actual opinion on it.

We'll see. Many states are completely ignoring Heller and McDonald. Miller goes completely ignored as if its fiction by everyone. The 2 recent past decade "wins" for us have turned out to be limp wristed and SCOTUS doesn't seem to give a shit about it.

Trumps definitely not an ally of 2A personally. He's an ally in the sense that not being an ally will get him removed from office. So he's a wildly dangerous person to place your bets on regarding 2A. He's already done enough damage and set some majorly bad precedents that not a single member of this board would ever of forgiven Obama for.

Didn't Phil Zimmerman get around the ban on distributing encryption software by publishing the code in a book?

I'm pretty sure the code in the 3D gun files have already been put in Kindle form and published. I thought I remember seeing a post a year+ ago about that. Of course, it's the world's most boring reading, ever. But that's not the point.

I never got around to it, but I had an idea a while back to make a new version of that book. Instead of putting the 3D code in the book as-is, substitute each character or word in the code with some other keyword or entire sentence. If you know the rules used to determine how to do these substitutions, you can reverse what's written in English in the book and end up with code. So, the substitutions could all be stuff about kittens. Or, left-wing favorite words like patriarchy, racism, orange man bad, namaste, etc. Although the end result would either be jibberish or mindless repetition.

Did he cave? Just noticed this disclaimer under each file page:

The files are also not available to persons outside the United States or to residents of and persons in the following blue states: State of New Jersey, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, State of Washington, State of Connecticut, State of Maryland, State of New York, State of Oregon, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, District of Columbia, State of California, State of Colorado, State of Delaware, State of Hawaii, State of Illinois, State of Iowa, State of Minnesota, State of North Carolina, State of Rhode Island, State of Vermont, Commonwealth of Virginia, State of Maine

Did he cave? Just noticed this disclaimer under each file page:

The files are also not available to persons outside the United States or to residents of and persons in the following blue states: State of New Jersey, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, State of Washington, State of Connecticut, State of Maryland, State of New York, State of Oregon, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, District of Columbia, State of California, State of Colorado, State of Delaware, State of Hawaii, State of Illinois, State of Iowa, State of Minnesota, State of North Carolina, State of Rhode Island, State of Vermont, Commonwealth of Virginia, State of Maine
Can I still buy a GG3 in Mass?

Back
Top Bottom