Trump’s budget, Army Corps work plan excludes funding for Cape Cod bridge replacement

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
It's toll free...this week, I think the bridges are on the air toll list.
I'm talking about the canal, itself. Many moons ago when 96.9 and Jay Severin were around there was talk of how to raise funds for the bridges and roads to the cape. A caller mentioned that all boat travel in the canal passed for free and it was an afternoon of call-ins shittin' all over the Cape and Island crew. I looked in to whether all corps waterways are that way and some are charged fees and permits.

Here is the Mobile district.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
How much to fill the canal back in?
Would it actually be cheaper in the long run to fill the canal in?

If so, this should be a serious consideration.

Vehicle travel is more important that boats, right?

The boats from Boston should enjoy the ride around the tip of Provincetown.

But remember...

Just the tip.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few things about the Cape Cod Canal:

(1) The canal is a military necessity. Both in WW1 and in WW2, shipping went through the CCC to avoid being sunk by U-Boats if it went around P-town. Geopolitical circumstances have changed, such as Canada no longer being a staging point for a potential British invasion (see "War Plan Red"), nor are submarines in New England waters a viable threat, but in the event of another naval war close to home, the CCC would be a necessary strategic asset.

War Plan Red - Wikipedia

Also, keep in mind that New England has always had many naval installations and if the US was to ever be invaded by a European naval power, they would probably attack the Portsmouth Naval Yard, Groton, and NYC. The CCC sits right in the middle of all that.

Imperial German plans for the invasion of the United States - Wikipedia

(2) Canals around the world need to be upgraded, like the Suez and the Panama, to accommodate bigger ships. The CCC would presumably be no different.

(3) Without the canal, shipping would have to go around, which doesn't always end well.

List of shipwrecks of Massachusetts - Wikipedia

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A big chunk of my childhood was spent camping during the summers at the campground under the Bourne Bridge. No easy solutions here and mass.gov should not ask nor expect any good will from this administration after participating in the coup against Trump. The only sure thing that is going to happen over this no matter what is decided, is the tax-payers in this state are going be forced to bend over once again to pay for it.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The toll-free waterway is open for passage to all boating craft properly equipped and considered seaworthy.
There's your answer right there. Those that use it pay for it.

🤷‍♂️, I'm cornfused. Toll free, as in no tolls. Hmmm.

ETA: Cape Cod Canal - Wikipedia

The waterway is maintained by the United States Army Corps of Engineers and has no toll fees.[3] It is spanned by the Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge, the Bourne Bridge, and the Sagamore Bridge. Traffic lights at either end govern the approach of vessels over 65 feet (20 m).

Last edited:

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0

(1) The canal is a military necessity. Both in WW1 and in WW2, shipping went through the CCC to avoid being sunk by U-Boats if it went around P-town. Geopolitical circumstances have changed, such as Canada no longer being a staging point for a potential British invasion (see "War Plan Red"), nor are submarines in New England waters a viable threat, but in the event of another naval war close to home, the CCC would be a necessary strategic asset.

War Plan Red - Wikipedia

Also, keep in mind that New England has always had many naval installations and if the US was to ever be invaded by a European naval power, they would probably attack the Portsmouth Naval Yard, Groton, and NYC. The CCC sits right in the middle of all that.

(2) Canals around the world need to be upgraded, like the Suez and the Panama, to accommodate bigger ships. The CCC would presumably be no different.

(3) Without the canal, shipping would have to go around, which doesn't always end well.

I didn't know any of that.

I no longer support filling in the canal.

Cap'n Mike

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that when there is a conflict, boats have the right of way over Vehicle traffic.
This is why Tankers can transit the Fore River Bridge on a Monday Morning at 9:00 AM and screw up traffic back to Hingham.

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
Filling it in would do wonders for the Striped Bass population.
Then again, maybe not. They would then be forced to travel through seal-infested areas if they wanted to summer in Northern waters.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is probably the most sensible solution.
Then build 4,6,10 roads whatever, no more backups, at least not there.
Mariners, enjoy the trip around the tip.
it would be a traffic nightmare everywhere else on-Cape.

War Plan Red - Wikipedia

Stop with your logic and reason! They get in the way of my feelings!

If it was not for my job I’d never cross that f***ing bridge again for as long as I live.
95% of the contractors over there suck.
Yeah, but you can pay them in Oxy. So there’s that.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would it actually be cheaper in the long run to fill the canal in?

If so, this should be a serious consideration.

The boats from Boston should enjoy the ride around the tip of Provincetown.

But remember...

Just the tip.
i think we would need an actual study!
If you mean fill in the entire thing...holy chit, where would you get all that fill material from? we are talking a REALLY REALLY BIG HOLE.

If you mean just fill in a couple sections and build roads over the fill, and leave a giant pond in between....might be an environmental disaster. It would be some nasty brackish sort of swampy thing. IF you say lets leave small inlets on either side so a little water flows....well they would have to be pretty fricken big to keep enough flow going so it would not turn into a brackish swamp...and then you are back to building fairly long bridges again.

there might be an impact to tourism if you filled it in.

There really would be a danger to small craft having to travel around the shoals of the tip of the cape for any north-south passage, resulting in loss of life and costs for rescues.

Add to it all that there IS some military advantage for military transports to NOT have to go around race point to travel from NYC to Boston and north....there are plenty of navy subs at portsmouth, and cruisers up at bath maine....

a proper cost and environmental study would be needed.

Trump did the right thing...punt the cost down the road. wait until the traffic delays become unbearable!

How about an rail connection, an serious one, between boston,providence, nyc, and the cape (hyannis, woods hole, chatham)? rails already exist, so you would not need to procure right of ways.....just start using the rails again. It would quickly lower the amount of traffic over those bridges.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i wonder, if you capped off both ends of the channel, is there some way the water in between could be converted, with time, to be fresh water? How could the salt be extracted, so it became a giant pond?

Could you pump out the salt water, and let rain fill it in over a couple of years?

A couple giant fresh water lakes might be a tourist attraction....eventually. They could dig up one of the highways on the side of the canal, and sell lake front property to pay for the conversion of the canal.

Top Bottom