Trufuel

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I keep a can or 2 around for over the winter. But with an ethanol free station less than 30 seconds from the house, I usually go the cheaper way. Premix is so very convenient though, it's just expensive.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Winchester Sunoco was busy today - two cars lined up waiting on both sides as I pulled in (they have 2, double sided pumps for gas - so 4 cars at a time) Diesel is out back (they sell off road as well)
92 Octane Ethanol Free was $3.299/gal today - I pumped $100 worth. The pumps use the same nozzle for all grades so I pump the first 5 gallons or so into my truck before filling my cans (I did 5 @ 5 gallons each today).

Also in the same lot is a NH Liquor and Wine outlet and an Aubuchon Hardware - Stihl & Tractor dealer closer to the intersection on the opposite side of the road.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I've used the various brands of pre-mixed for a while now. They don't have ethanol in them, the oil mix is typically a good quality and it's the right mix. The string trimmer is 20 years old, the chainsaw is maybe 16-18 years now. The hedge trimmer is about 10. I keep them full and never had any issues with fuel. Best of all, until you open the can, it's pretty much good forever. Then you have about 2 years. I easily use a 1/2 gallon can every year, so I know I don't have anything sitting too long.

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hampden fuel company in Hampden, MA sells VP racing fuels in 5 gallon cans similar to the one of Sunoco on the previous page. it is anywhere from 60 to 70 dollars depending on which type you get. Ill usually get vp110 and mix my own 2 stroke, and drain and then fill my small engines with the good stuff before storing for the season. would really love to find somewhere closer to Springfield that has Ethanol free fuel at a pump. be it an airport or gas station.

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I use the 4 cycle stuff at the end of the season, I run the equipment dry of the ethanol stuff, then put a quart of the Trufuel 4-cycle in the tank, and run the engines for 15 or 20 minutes to make sure there is no ethanol in the system, then store it till next season.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Leaded Sunoco 110 octane?

It's located at your nearest local airport. ;)
I sent an Email to the Nashua airport to ask if it was accessible to those of us who have no security clearance to access runway areas there. Never heard anything back (it's been a few months since I sent it). Once we are permanently up there, I'll take a drive over with an empty 5 gal. gas can or two.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You guys must have money to burn.
I mix my own from pump gas with no issue.
Been doing so for 45yrs, and the price is right.
As mentioned above, how many gallons of pre-mix are you using a year? Twelve? Fifty? I use one quart a year. That's it. I spend $8 or stupider stuff than this.

I used to kill myself to save 5c/gal on gas as well years ago. Once I realized that I fill up about 1x/wk for about 20 gallons (max), I was "wasting" $50 or so per year. Suddenly not worth the hassle.

THAT said, I DID buy 2 big-ass fresh turkeys 2 Fridays ago, I disassembled them and made stock. I've got about 5 meals plus stock out of it. In part b/c I'm cheap. In part b/c I like hacking up stuff. In part b/c I'd never made stock before and it was a good way to try. I probably saved less than $40 on those 5 meals. So I do the same thing in other areas of my life. LOL

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
FWIW, I just discovered a place that is minutes from my office. It would be nice for the boat. Getting 5gal of fuel at once is better than 5 of those cans.

Anyone use Columbus Energies in Swansea???? What do I ask for? Where do I go on the lot? Just want to save looking like a total tool the first time. LOL

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yup......and never will either unless I happen to be in the middle of nowhere and its the only thing available.

"Engineered Fuel"........dude, I can engineer fuel with the best of them.....its called a measuring device and good outboard 2 cycle oil. ;) 🤣

I buy ethanol free 90 octane gas locally for $3 and change per gallon and use it in all my small engines. Never had a fuel related problem to date. I usually fill up 4-5, 5 gallon cans at a time and it lasts me a good while. The riding mower(25hp Briggs) drinks most of it.....bit it does a lot of work. The 4 wheelers just sip the stuff, the chainsaws, leaf blower, weed whacker use very little.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
As mentioned above, how many gallons of pre-mix are you using a year? Twelve? Fifty? I use one quart a year. That's it. I spend $8 or stupider stuff than this.

I used to kill myself to save 5c/gal on gas as well years ago. Once I realized that I fill up about 1x/wk for about 20 gallons (max), I was "wasting" $50 or so per year. Suddenly not worth the hassle.

THAT said, I DID buy 2 big-ass fresh turkeys 2 Fridays ago, I disassembled them and made stock. I've got about 5 meals plus stock out of it. In part b/c I'm cheap. In part b/c I like hacking up stuff. In part b/c I'd never made stock before and it was a good way to try. I probably saved less than $40 on those 5 meals. So I do the same thing in other areas of my life. LOL
If I only burned a Qt a year I’d buy that stuff also.
I go through about 20gal a year. Mostly in my saws

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I do. I use maybe one can a season for my lawnmower. I have a big yard, but lots of trees so the grass barely grows.
And in the snowblower, yes. I use it. I had about 3/4 of a tank of TruFuel from last year that sat in the blower's gas tank all summer. Figured I'd fire it up to be sure yesterday, and it started on the first pull and ran nice and smooth. No issues today cleaning up the white crap.

Now this winter, the almanacs are predicting a lot of snow, so I'll probably switch over to regular unleaded if we keep getting snow, but I'll switch back to TruFuel to end the season.

The stuff is crazy expensive, but cheap insurance. I don't do my own work and I'd rather not spend money with the small engine repair guy.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Winchester Sunoco was busy today - two cars lined up waiting on both sides as I pulled in (they have 2, double sided pumps for gas - so 4 cars at a time) Diesel is out back (they sell off road as well)
92 Octane Ethanol Free was $3.299/gal today - I pumped $100 worth. The pumps use the same nozzle for all grades so I pump the first 5 gallons or so into my truck before filling my cans (I did 5 @ 5 gallons each today).

Also in the same lot is a NH Liquor and Wine outlet and an Aubuchon Hardware - Stihl & Tractor dealer closer to the intersection on the opposite side of the road.
Good to know, thank you.
I always thought the closest place was the Canadian Border.
After the Great Ethanol Disease of 2016 in all my Stihl Equipment, I switched over to TruFuel.
The extra price is definitely worth the hassle.
I'm always going a mile a minute, I don't always have time to drain gas or make sure I use it all.
This info is good timing for my snowmobile!

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I sent an Email to the Nashua airport to ask if it was accessible to those of us who have no security clearance to access runway areas there. Never heard anything back (it's been a few months since I sent it). Once we are permanently up there, I'll take a drive over with an empty 5 gal. gas can or two.
I'll have to take another look, but I dont believe there is a way to get through to fill gas cans in Nashua. North Hampton is simple, just walk 100' to the pump from where you park the car.

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh boy.
Nashua Airport doesn't sell fuel. Infinity, the FBO, does.
There is no security clearance requirement to be at an airport.
You don't need to be on a runway to get gas.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also get 91 eth free for $2.50 / gallon down the street, and mix VP 116/C16 in a 1 part to 4 part ratio for a result of 96 oct, because my motor needs 96 octane. The math is easy, but even easier is that there are octane calculators on line......

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look here for sources:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appleknockers , The old burning bush, Warren NH, 91 eth free , is under $3. Chesleas in Wentworth used to have 91 for $3.50, but is presently having pump problems, and may never do it again, as they can not compete with $3/gallon down the street.

The other spot to get 91 eth free gas is Ossipee, approx $3.80 / gallon
That VP race gas website is informative, also much info at Sunoco race gas site. ex; aviation gas is for big motors, big diameter pistons, that need a slower burn time of the gas, so a stronger carbon grid that burns slower.
Chainsaws, motorcycles, smaller motors need a faster burning fuel, smaller carbon chain grid, more fragile and burns more quickly, thus suited for the small motor.
AV 110 LL , Low lead, actually has much higher lead than any 1970's pump gas, by like many times higher, it is only called Low Lead comparing it to aviation standards.
Burning this LL gas in a chainsaw will lead to lead build up on top of the piston. Check out the pictures of this on internet search.
Am mixing 91 and 116 for 96, for about $3.00 to $3.50 a gallon. So this tru fuel is what? $40.00 to $50.00 a gallon? Guessing. That is why those tractor supply clerks are always trying to sell it to you.
Pouring 3 ounces of oil in a gallon jug is not that hard.
That Nashua spot is quite expensive $ per octane.
Check out Appleknockers FaceBonk page, where there is a video of a moose walking by the 91 eth free pump, over the summer, 91 price was $2.87, the moose kept on walking.

Last edited:

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Haffner's in Hudson NH has non e10 fuel and CAM 2 racing gas.
I walked in there one day but couldn't determine what I would be getting for the money (specs).

Oh boy.
Nashua Airport doesn't sell fuel. Infinity, the FBO, does.
There is no security clearance requirement to be at an airport.
You don't need to be on a runway to get gas.
Not being into aircraft operations, I had no idea if pumps are behind a security fence or out where the public can just pull up outside the fence. After reading the last quote below, I'm unsure that AV fuel is the right choice for small engines. So color me confused at this point.

Thanks. Useful until I read the info quoted below.

Appleknockers , The old burning bush, Warren NH, 91 eth free , is under $3. Chesleas in Wentworth used to have 91 for $3.50, but is presently having pump problems, and may never do it again, as they can not compete with $3/gallon down the street.

The other spot to get 91 eth free gas is Ossipee, approx $3.80 / gallon
That VP race gas website is informative, also much info at Sunoco race gas site. ex; aviation gas is for big motors, big diameter pistons, that need a slower burn time of the gas, so a stronger carbon grid that burns slower.
Chainsaws, motorcycles, smaller motors need a faster burning fuel, smaller carbon chain grid, more fragile and burns more quickly, thus suited for the small motor.
AV 110 LL , Low lead, actually has much higher lead than any 1970's pump gas, by like many times higher, it is only called Low Lead comparing it to aviation standards.
Burning this LL gas in a chainsaw will lead to lead build up on top of the piston. Check out the pictures of this on internet search.
Am mixing 91 and 116 for 96, for about $3.00 to $3.50 a gallon. So this tru fuel is what? $40.00 to $50.00 a gallon? Guessing. That is why those tractor supply clerks are always trying to sell it to you.
Pouring 3 ounces of oil in a gallon jug is not that hard.
That Nashua spot is quite expensive $ per octane.
Check out Appleknockers FaceBonk page, where there is a video of a moose walking by the 91 eth free pump, over the summer, 91 price was $2.87, the moose kept on walking.
I don't like traveling distances with a 5 gal (vented) jug of gas sloshing around in my trunk. I see that Amazon/Ebay sell the small engine gas for $18/14 per gallon delivered. Still "ouch" pricing, especially since my lawn tractor has a 5 gal tank and drinks a lot. Sadly not much in the Nashua area for options . . . no pumps running non-e.

Top Bottom