• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

True "value" of a pre-ban mags

deppends on market back in 2012 they were much higher than they are now.

then condition, features (like dates) ect.

I don't get it. I admit to not owning any handguns that take pre-ban large cap mags, unless there are old large single-stack 1911 mags hanging around.

Generally speaking I EDC an M&P9c. 10+1 seems adequate, and it's not uncommon for me to carry an extra ten rounder. It gives extra capacity and provides a level of redundancy in case of a mag-related jam or failure (note this has never happened. My gun is 100% reliable).

I guess I don't get why y'all would spend so much for crappy old 15+ rounders, when you could have two new 10's, and not have to worry about defending yourself from an additional horseshit charge they càn add on to whatever else you'd be in trouble for. Why *is* your mag capacity known to the police???

I do have preban AR mags, which make more sense.

Its just about having the extra capacity when your out shooting off boxes of ammo for fun.

I don't get it. I admit to not owning any handguns that take pre-ban large cap mags, unless there are old large single-stack 1911 mags hanging around.

Generally speaking I EDC an M&P9c. 10+1 seems adequate, and it's not uncommon for me to carry an extra ten rounder. It gives extra capacity and provides a level of redundancy in case of a mag-related jam or failure (note this has never happened. My gun is 100% reliable).

I guess I don't get why y'all would spend so much for crappy old 15+ rounders, when you could have two new 10's, and not have to worry about defending yourself from an additional horseshit charge they càn add on to whatever else you'd be in trouble for. Why *is* your mag capacity known to the police???

I guess I don't get why y'all would spend so much for crappy old 15+ rounders, when you could have two new 10's, and not have to worry about defending yourself from an additional horseshit charge they can add on to whatever else you'd be in trouble for.
My feelings exactly. Putting aside how lame and worthless the law is, I still can't figure out why otherwise sane people pay ridiculous amounts of money for old, worn out (and often damaged) Glock pre-ban magazines when brand new 10-rounders can be had for chump change. [thinking] With recent Glock magazine sale prices, it's about a 10:1 ratio on average. Fortunately, it's usually not that bad for other brands although it can still be a royal pain in the ass finding what you need.

And other than the Glock folks, do that many of us really EDC pistols that even hold more than 10+1 rounds in a non-extended mag configuration? My physically largest EDC is still my SR9c. [thinking]

$20-$25 for AR pre-bans. I wanted some 20's for competition plus 30 is fun for range blasting.

I will not pay extra for Glock pre bans and don't have any. I carry a Sig 220 compact and otherwise prefer 1911's, so pre ban is moot. I'd rather carry an effective caliber and don't need the spray and pray mag capacity. [troll][wink] Kidding aside, I really don't have any Glock pre bans and don't feel compelled to buy any. My G43 doesn't need any and my G23C is a range toy.

Don't get me wrong- as soon as I move I will use standard capacity (rather than Mass neutered) magazines for my Glocks and will go to standard capacity P-mags for my AR's.

- - - Updated - - -

My feelings exactly. Putting aside how lame and worthless the law is, I still can't figure out why otherwise sane people pay ridiculous amounts of money for old, worn out (and often damaged) Glock pre-ban magazines when brand new 10-rounders can be had for chump change. [thinking] With recent Glock magazine sale prices, it's about a 10:1 ratio on average. Fortunately, it's usually not that bad for other brands although it can still be a royal pain in the ass finding what you need.

And other than the Glock folks, do that many of us really EDC pistols that even hold more than 10+1 rounds in a non-extended mag configuration? My physically largest EDC is still my SR9c. [thinking]

Exactly

Why you have to make sense?! I was ready to drop $160 for 1 g19 preban, but now I'm gonna go to the other site and get 8 10s for $20 a piece.

I typically share your sentiment. As the old saying goes: there's an ass for seat.

The point of this post is useless. Value is in what you, or someone else, will pay. Also, do not post MSRP numbers, we can't buy the new shit legally here, so it is of no consequence here.

Can we just close this effing dumpster fire topic once and for all?

Everyone has their reasons for wanting them. Not everyone does want them, but its just like everything else: not wanting them doesn't invalidate other peoples reasons for wanting them.

Quick question.....I've been reading a lot of these posts about pre-ban vs post-ban mags.

I don't seem to have ever read about anyone ever being arrested in MA for having a post-ban mag.

Do the Police really look for people who have the post-ban mag?

Id be interested to know how many people MA have been arrested and convicted for that crime.

What was the crime and what did they get as a penalty?

Any reliable data on it?

Quick question.....I've been reading a lot of these posts about pre-ban vs post-ban mags.

I don't seem to have ever read about anyone ever being arrested in MA for having a post-ban mag.

Do the Police really look for people who have the post-ban mag?

Id be interested to know how many people MA have been arrested and convicted for that crime.

What was the crime and what did they get as a penalty?

Any reliable data on it?

Do come more reading. Yes they have arrested and charged people with it. Since most are in district court (no printed procedings exist) and most are plea bargained, there is no way to tell how many have been convicted.

Do come more reading. Yes they have arrested and charged people with it. Since most are in district court (no printed procedings exist) and most are plea bargained, there is no way to tell how many have been convicted.
This is the kind of charge that would in all liklihood be handled via a CWOF unless there were other factors. The fact that the stakes for the in-duh-vidual turning down the CWOF in favor of a trial are felony/pp status means that CWOFs would virtually always be accepted except by the most naive defendant.

This is the kind of charge that would in all liklihood be handled via a CWOF unless there were other factors. The fact that the stakes for the in-duh-vidual turning down the CWOF in favor of a trial are felony/pp status means that CWOFs would virtually always be accepted except by the most naive defendant.

Yeah but how often does that happen? (where mag charges are the only thing the prosecutor hangs their
hat on). The closest thing I've ever heard of was that case that scrivy had to represent some guy that got hit with an AWB charge (and perhaps LCAFD w/o license, but I forget) AKA "water cooler running his mouth about selling magazines guy" but he never bumped that thread ostensibly because of client safety, (and its probably almost 10 yrs old lol).

-Mike

Last edited:
My feelings exactly. Putting aside how lame and worthless the law is, I still can't figure out why otherwise sane people pay ridiculous amounts of money for old, worn out (and often damaged) Glock pre-ban magazines when brand new 10-rounders can be had for chump change. [thinking] With recent Glock magazine sale prices, it's about a 10:1 ratio on average.

You assume that everyone just overpays or pays the "stupid price" for preban mags "cuz thats what the market price is" that's kind of an silly, or even, absurd, assumption, or that everyone seeking preban mags accepts junk/broken shit and pays through the nose for it. Maybe some chumps do, but not everyone is a chump.

Fortunately, it's usually not that bad for other brands although it can still be a royal pain in the ass finding what you need. And other than the Glock folks, do that many of us really EDC pistols that even hold more than 10+1 rounds in a non-extended mag configuration? My physically largest EDC is still my SR9c. [thinking]

This is amusing considering an SR9c is almost the same size as a Glock 19. There's also a bunch of other guns not far from that size class that hold like 12-15 rounds of ammo by default, with a flush mag, when in their normal configuration.

-Mike

I guess I don't get why y'all would spend so much for crappy old 15+ rounders, when you could have two new 10's...

My feelings exactly... I still can't figure out why otherwise sane people pay ridiculous amounts of money for old, worn out (and often damaged) Glock pre-ban magazines when brand new 10-rounders can be had for chump change...

One reason people in restricted states want pre-ban standard capacity mags is because Glock cripple-mags (OEM 10-rounders for G17, etc.) aren't reliable enough for self-defense.

One reason people in restricted states want pre-ban standard capacity mags is because Glock cripple-mags (OEM 10-rounders for G17, etc.) aren't reliable enough for self-defense.

That is the truth. The glock 10rd mags , with the exception of glock 26 mags or glock 30 mags are not reliable enougn i have found out

That is the truth. The Glock 10rd mags , with the exception of Glock 26 mags or Glock 30 mags are not reliable enough I have found out
I was not aware of that. I have not had a problem myself, but mine has all been range shooting so far (no bad guys taken down yet). [thinking]

I was not aware of that. I have not had a problem myself, but mine has all been range shooting so far (no bad guys taken down yet). [thinking]

It's well-known in the industry. Shooting enough premium hollow points through the cripple-mags exposes the problem.

Last edited:
You assume that everyone just overpays or pays the "stupid price" for preban mags "cuz thats what the market price is" that's kind of an silly, or even, absurd, assumption, or that everyone seeking preban mags accepts junk/broken shit and pays through the nose for it. Maybe some chumps do, but not everyone is a chump.
I don't assume anything. I see what I see offered here and elsewhere and I just laugh. But please understand that I'm not really a Glock fanboy (own 4 in the collection but EDC none of them) so I couldn't care less what Glock pre-bans are selling for. Other pre-bans, yes... but never have I paid more than $40 for any pre-ban magazine including some very rare and highly-prized ones (even outside Massachusetts). Nothing really against Glocks or Glock fanboys... just not my thing. [thinking]

This is amusing considering an SR9c is almost the same size as a Glock 19. There's also a bunch of other guns not far from that size class that hold like 12-15 rounds of ammo by default, with a flush mag, when in their normal configuration.
You missed my point re: EDC size, but that's okay. Believe it or not, maximizing rounds in my EDC is not my highest priority. [wink]

True "value" of a pre-ban mags

Why do people assume that

A) The mags are for a carry gun
B) Even if they are, that carrying 10 or 20 rounds is enough when I can carry 50% more with the same footprint???
C) The mags are for a pistol
D) Even if they are pistol mags, they still don't need to be used in a pistol
E) Ever see an AR9mm with a preban 100 round drum?

Obviously you have made a judgement that because your shotgun only holds two rounds, that no one will ever need more than two rounds in a gun.

If you don't get the parallel well then...

Why do people assume that

A) The mags are for a carry gun
B) Even if they are, that carrying 10 or 20 rounds is enough when I can carry 50% more with the same footprint???
C) The mags are for a pistol
D) Even if they are pistol mags, they still don't need to be used in a pistol
E) Ever see an AR9mm with a preban 100 round drum?

Obviously you have made a judgement that because your shotgun only holds two rounds, that no one will ever need more than two rounds in a gun.

If you don't get the parallel well then...

Excellent points. For a carry gun, I couldn't care less about capacity. For me it's about concealability, and weight. If I feel the need for extra boolits, I'll toss a spare mag in my pocket. I use the pre-ban standard/high caps for pistol caliber carbines. Even if I carried a G19 as an example, I would likely just use a 10 rd in the gun, and maybe carry the larger cap as a spare just to save bulk and weight in the gun. As far as getting jammed up on mag provenance, I've always been of the thought that if someone is researching that, you've likely done something you have more to worry about than the provenance of your mags.[rolleyes]

As far as getting jammed up on mag provenance, I've always been of the thought that if someone is researching that, you've likely done something you have more to worry about than the provenance of your mags.[rolleyes]
That seems to be a very common feeling here in NES. I look at it as being very similar to the "safe storage" law. Both the magazine capacity law and the safe storage law are most likely to jam you up after the cops are already on your case for some other reason.

The problem, at least in the case of the safe storage law, is that the cops and prosecutors have and will use that against you whenever other possible charges are weak, hard to prove or completely bogus. I'm not a lawyer but I do read the news and I follow some of these cases as far as I can. The safe storage law seems to be the easiest to get a conviction on so that's what they do.

I fear the magazine capacity law (including its exemption for pre-bans) could be used in the very same way. Yes, sometimes... maybe even often... it's a throw-away. But who says it has to be? When they want to get you and they can't get you on anything else, why not use it to jam you up? [thinking]

...the magazine capacity law... it's a throw-away. But who says it has to be? When they want to get you and they can't get you on anything else, why not use it to jam you up? [thinking]

Like the stock market: "Past Performance Is Not A Guarantee Of Future Returns."

It's well-known in the industry. Shooting enough premium hollow points through the cripple-mags exposes the problem.

What happens with them? (Out of curiosity ). I've had glocks for 10 years but don't think I've ever run a single jhp through a cripple mag.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems to be a very common feeling here in NES. I look at it as being very similar to the "safe storage" law. Both the magazine capacity law and the safe storage law are most likely to jam you up after the cops are already on your case for some other reason.

The problem, at least in the case of the safe storage law, is that the cops and prosecutors have and will use that against you whenever other possible charges are weak, hard to prove or completely bogus. I'm not a lawyer but I do read the news and I follow some of these cases as far as I can. The safe storage law seems to be the easiest to get a conviction on so that's what they do.

I fear the magazine capacity law (including its exemption for pre-bans) could be used in the very same way. Yes, sometimes... maybe even often... it's a throw-away. But who says it has to be? When they want to get you and they can't get you on anything else, why not use it to jam you up? [thinking]

Because it's far easier to convict someone on other, simpler bogus felonies. Just ask MTBS guy.

Oh boy, here come the fudds to explain to me what size my EDC should be and how many rounds I need to carry. Care to weigh in on the type of underwear I should be wearing or what I should have for breakfast?

Back
Top Bottom