• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

True "value" of a pre-ban mags

That's a feature, IMHO.

Reminds me of the stuff with AK mags. Unless its a plastic AK mag with a mold clock on it, good luck narrowing down the
provenance of the mag.

-Mike

Agreed that it's a feature, though I'm guessing it also acts to limit the number of "preban CZ mag" listings out there. Unless the seller bought it himself before the ban (or knows the mag's history) or simply DGAF about the buyer they're probably not going to sell it as preban, at least in the absence of any date codes or other identifying characteristics. On top of that, how many would-be buyers in ban states would hesitate to buy a mag that they couldn't prove was preban? Plenty I'm guessing.

While there are occasional deals to be had in the classifieds here more often than not people tend to be looking for top dollar for their stuff. When I was looking to get a few more G22 mags at the time I think people on here were selling them for $70+ and I ended up buying them at a local store for less. Something like $35 each. If you put in a little extra effort to do some research you will get boned less.

On top of that, how many would-be buyers in ban states would hesitate to buy a mag that they couldn't prove was preban? Plenty I'm guessing.

I haven't done a survey to determine the distribution between pant shitters vs not. My gut says though, as time goes on more and more people are getting pissed off so I think the legion of folks saying "**** them, I don't care anymore" is increasing exponentially. Healey's BS on 7/20 caused a lot of people to consider that the last straw.

-Mike

Last edited:
By from out of state and your wallet will thank you. I bought a total of 19 preban/unmarked m14 mags for a ground total of $260. That's $14ish a mag. I've never spent more that 18 bucks on preban AR15 mags as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I've been around the magazine block, so to speak. I got taken for 2 mags from Nick on Glocktalk eons ago. Sucked in on that one. He was "importing Glock-made magazines from Europe." Nope. Just took the $ and ran.

I've overpaid for a few magazines. Back when the ban ended, I struck a deal with many a'member of GT to send them 4 brandy-new Glock (or AR) mags for 2 of their old beat on pre-bans. I had a few guys tell me to pound sand (on my WTB ad. ???? Strange they crapped all over the ad. Keep your $100 mag in a $15 mag world!) but I had more offers than I could shake a stick at.

Back during the federal ban, AK mags were very prolific. You could get EG metal mags for $8ea. Sometimes $6 or $4. I went deep there, too.

Anyhow, about a year ago, I realized I had more mags than was necessary for WWIII. I unloaded a bunch here. Effectively "gave them away" based on some prices. Passed on my shrewd savings for others.

For those looking for pre-bans, I'd haunt the WTB sections of OTHER gun groups - not ones that are N/E based - and see if you can get someone to part with their old magazine for a new one. There are still thousands of them out there. Some guy might take a 3/2 swap.

Good luck to those that need mags.

The problem (IMHO, actually a blessing in disguise for a bunch of reasons that become patently obvious) is that CZ mags (and their clones like tanfo, etc, some of which are cross compatible, some with follower changes) are often completely unmarked. In past years I used to find some CZ and clone mags in junk bins, etc. Problem is that I bet a lot of these mags get "graded out" and put in lower tier bins at most gun shops because the shop personnel don't really know what they are.

-Mike

Thanks for the tips!

It really took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to be looking for, and I'm definitely still not clear on some of the details, especially of the followers. I gather that they should all be 15rds and that some have markings (not date markings, but markings) It's definitely not like the Glock and SIG mags I have shopped for in the past where it is fairly easy to tell.

For the most part I just want a couple for my compact for carry. I can't find pictures but it is said they, "stick out a little" so it may not even be worth my time. Honestly, I tend to go through a lot of rounds at the range and the cripple mags really do very little except save me money. It's 9, so it's cheap, but still...so not that big a deal.

The fitment stuff with the narrower mag wells in older guns is a pain too, but it sounds like more or less anything will fit the newer guns.

I will start checking the bargain bins. I've mostly been looking online and haven't searched locally yet. Figured that local might be a better call for these. The CZ forums contain so many painful disussions on what pre ban is, whether they're talking about the "b" version of the guns, people from free states thinking they want them, etc. I'm reading through old threads like, "arrrrggggghhh can they just figure out what preban means already so they can start talking about what they actually look like?!?!"

Last edited:
They're worth what people will part with them for not what you're willing to pay.

This reminds me of those people who were absolutely convinced their house had not lost value during the real estate crash - I heard lines like "My house value has not done down, it's just not possible to find a buyer now".

This reminds me of those people who were absolutely convinced their house had not lost value during the real estate crash - I heard lines like "My house value has not done down, it's just not possible to find a buyer now".

Ahhh... YEP!

Do chuckle at some of the prices I see.

Cheaper to carry an extra or two if your that bad of a shot.[smile]
I shoot 10-round mags because I'm constantly dropping them on the ground, throwing them in my ammo box, getting rain/snow/mud/sand on them, etc - they're cheap to replace so I don't care if I damage them. The pre-bans I have for self-defense, typically one in the gun and 2-3 loaded and sitting in the safe next to the gun. Even though I don't need to buy more than 3-4 pre-bans, I still refuse to pay bend-over prices to price-gougers. It's really not that hard to find pre-bans for $20-$40 if you use your head a bit. That said, it can be fun to troll sellers by offering them $25 for their mag listed at $140 [laugh]

By from out of state and your wallet will thank you. I bought a total of 19 preban/unmarked m14 mags for a ground total of $260. That's $14ish a mag. I've never spent more that 18 bucks on preban AR15 mags as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree, I have a bunch of preban square notch G19 mags in like new shape and I didn't pay over $50 for any of them. I got some by trading new mags for old ones too. I've never paid more than $30 for a good AR mag either. Posting WTB ads on national forums will definitely get you some responses as long as you are offering a little more than the mags are going for on the "regular" used market.

It really took me a while to figure out what I was supposed to be looking for, and I'm definitely still not clear on some of the details, especially of the followers. I gather that they should all be 15rds and that some have markings (not date markings, but markings) It's definitely not like the Glock and SIG mags I have shopped for in the past where it is fairly easy to tell.

If you really know how simple it is to determine pre-ban from post-ban Glock mags, please share your knowledge with Fred in Glock USA tech support, plus Carlos Guevara, Glock-US Chief Counsel and then let Patrick Sweeney know also (author of the Glock books), as they all admit that it really isn't that simple and that they can't definitively tell (other than the extra cut-outs added in the mid-2000s).

I know that there are tons of ex-spurts out there that make all sorts of definitive claims on Glock mags, but I also know that they are wrong.

If you really know how simple it is to determine pre-ban from post-ban Glock mags, please share your knowledge with Fred in Glock USA tech support, plus Carlos Guevara, Glock-US Chief Counsel and then let Patrick Sweeney know also (author of the Glock books), as they all admit that it really isn't that simple and that they can't definitively tell (other than the extra cut-outs added in the mid-2000s).

I know that there are tons of ex-spurts out there that make all sorts of definitive claims on Glock mags, but I also know that they are wrong.

He is talking about CZ mags. This thread is not a "preban Glock mag" thread.

Fair enough. I'm not a Glock owner so I did the best I could.

It seemed fairly straightforward from what I read online. If I remember right there were some types which were harder to tell, but there were other types that were fairly clear cut.

Not saying I am an expert by any means.

Read his post that I quoted above. He claims that it is simple to tell pre-ban from post-ban Glock mags. That is what I addressed.

I honestly know nothing about markings/lack of same wrt CZ mags.

Yeah, but he was trying to make the point that the Glock mags that endus just mentioned aren't necessarily easy to identify either (and that a lot of the glock guides circuilating are potentially bogus as well).

I used to get into arguments with preban glock mag "experts" on faceplant (and on here) but I don't bother anymore. I always get the same explanation, which is "some LE glock armorer said so" not "the factory released a memo about it". Basically their response is always a sort of "Appeal to Authority" thing. I might actually buy into that if the authority was a forensic examiner that was completely honest about whatever they
found.

They can't explain shit like the 33 round U-notch with the LE markings on it, etc. Or the 12 round Glock 26 mag I saw with the caliber marking in the middle position. etc. ("WAT THE 26 is POST BAN!!!! BWEAH!" well if its post ban, then why isn't the caliber marking at the top of the mag? oh wait, because this magazine ideology stuff is inconsistent, who'd have thunk it!")

Actually you know what would be the only thing better than the Patriots winning the super bowl again?

It would be that Glock would start making new mags using old molds that look like U notch and mid marked square notch. Just to take a shit in everyone's
cheerios. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
It IS easy enough to identify magazines that are definitely preban and those that are definitely post ban.
You insist on referring to "a guy who talked to a guy who wrote a book that has since been edited" that claims some "high number slant notch without LE markings" mags may or may not have entered circulation prior to the ban and Glock says they don't f'n know either way. This is a negative that can't be proven and thus muddies the waters. These "high number slant notch without LE markings" magazines happen to be at the very most questionable as to date of mfg. However, that does not change the fact that certain mags are easily identifiable as having been produced prior to the ban and some as after. What happened during and immediately before/after with production both domestic and international is the only question. Most people DGAF. Most LEO have no clue either way.

Anyways... Prices: $0.02

However, that does not change the fact that certain mags are easily identifiable as having been produced prior to the ban and some as after.
The issue is not "easily identifiable" but "provable beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law". I don't think the courts accept "everyone knows...." or "someone who should know said....."

My friend's cousin's girlfriend's dad is a Navy SEAL and he told me that there's no such thing as a pre-ban or otherwise legal-in-MA Glock mag over ten rounds. Is that true?

The issue is not "easily identifiable" but "provable beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law". I don't think the courts accept "everyone knows...." or "someone who should know said....."

Sure they do, just ask the COP (ie it depends on who the "someone" is).

Dunno anything about Glock mags, but preban AR mags are so common that in any other state they're $5 used mags. You could buy hundreds of a month off Arfcom if you wanted to. I did once, and it was fun until I realized I had more mags than cartridges to put in them.

I was reading an article today about how tickets to Hamilton are impossible to get at the ticket office and regularly sell in the aftermarket for $900-$4,000. For $200 face value.

I'd rather have a pile of Glock mags.

I like HK MP5 prebans personally: The date is stamped right on the damn things and they are all steel construction. How easy is that?

I was reading an article today about how tickets to Hamilton are impossible to get at the ticket office and regularly sell in the aftermarket for $900-$4,000. For $200 face value.

I'd rather have a pile of Glock mags.

My wife sold tickets to Adele for $1200, face value was $100 ish. Go figure.

Last edited:
Asking prices for Glock 9mm preban mags have skyrocketed the last year. More than doubling. Not sure what is going on there.

At current MA prices, it almost comes down to choosing between: (ie) two 20 year old 15 rd mags vs ten brand new 10 rd mags. 30 rds vs 100 rds. Those 5 rds per mag are apparently worth the premium to many.

Considering actual dynamics of a real gunfight, I'd go with the 10 brand new ones and not get brow beat by NES gunfight 'experts'.

Real gunfights are single digit round affairs, not movie Hershal 870 special type events.

Considering actual dynamics of a real gunfight, I'd go with the 10 brand new ones and not get brow beat by NES gunfight 'experts'.

Real gunfights are single digit round affairs, not movie Hershal 870 special type events.
Average number of shots in a self-defense shooting is two so I'm confident with my Derringer. No one needs more than two rounds.

Back
Top Bottom