• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

True Colors

That is awesome about your wife! Ah, but that sucks about your friend. Hmmmm, no it doesn't, **** him.

I guess I have been lucky, never had a problem with any of my friends or family. Even my boss told me to go home to get my gun before I went to a shady town to look at a craigslist purchase. Then she asked why I don't just bring it to work every day anyway.

Once you make the decision to add CCW to your lifestyle it can expose the true colors of those around you. I cite two examples:

1. My wife - total support in my decision and has now applied for her own LTC and will carry on a daily basis. I was totally blown away by her initial support of my decision to carry and then stunned when she stated she wanted to join me and agreed that our son should get his FID next year when he turns 15 and be included in all aspects of our carrying and training. She was the one who though I should pick up a shotgun at the Plymouth gun show last weekend as it was "a good place to pick up a used one for a decent price"

2. A close friend of over 30 years - We have had a holiday tradition for as long as I can remember of having a "guys night" of Christmas shopping. This year when I ask him when we are going he states "I will only go if you are not carrying." I look at him and cannot believe what I just heard. I ask him why and he states that he does not want to be involved in any "incident" with security if someone notices I am armed and "turns me in." Now this was not said in a nice way, but more confrontational. I told him he is on his own and his attitude was insulting and unnecessary.

Needless to say I am surprised by the attitude of both of them, in entirely different ways.

It's sad that your friend has that attitude, especially at this time of year. Not in keeping with true holiday spirit.

You need to prove to him that you are the better man. To show him that you value his fellowship, buy him a present anyway. Something that shows you really care and respect his views.

I would suggest a nice pink T-shirt. Personalize it for him with following printed message: "I believe in gun control. I am unarmed." I'm sure he'll appreciate your thoughtfulness. Even if he doesn't thank you, he'll know it's the thought that counts.

Sorry to hear about your friend, man. I've got this friend that makes sure I AM carrying before going out...

Once you make the decision to add CCW to your lifestyle it can expose the true colors of those around you. I cite two examples:

1. My wife - total support in my decision and has now applied for her own LTC and will carry on a daily basis. I was totally blown away by her initial support of my decision to carry and then stunned when she stated she wanted to join me and agreed that our son should get his FID next year when he turns 15 and be included in all aspects of our carrying and training. She was the one who though I should pick up a shotgun at the Plymouth gun show last weekend as it was "a good place to pick up a used one for a decent price"

2. A close friend of over 30 years - We have had a holiday tradition for as long as I can remember of having a "guys night" of Christmas shopping. This year when I ask him when we are going he states "I will only go if you are not carrying." I look at him and cannot believe what I just heard. I ask him why and he states that he does not want to be involved in any "incident" with security if someone notices I am armed and "turns me in." Now this was not said in a nice way, but more confrontational. I told him he is on his own and his attitude was insulting and unnecessary.

Needless to say I am surprised by the attitude of both of them, in entirely different ways.

dump the loser, he just let you in on a lot more about himself than how he feels about guns.

Then after we hung out in Boston a couple of times he said "you know, I've always felt safe hanging out in the town with you, but knowing that you're carrying makes me feel even safer... oh, and when are we going shooting?!"

awww, he has a crush on you <3

Last edited:
My own wife has outed me in public!

Mine did too. She is very uncomfortable around firearms and just about tolerates my "hobby". Recently at a girl's hangout she seems to have mentioned it. Pissed me off until she mentioned that her closest friend thought I was very caring and thoughtful! Then a husband of another one sought me out to introduce me to another guy with interest in firearms. May the community grow!

it's funny how frightened of guns these sheep are, but at the same time won't hesitate to mouth off to complete strangers in cases where they'd get their ass handed to them. i was discussing "gun control" on facebook (yeah, great idea...) and some sheep out of options resorted to derogatory comments about my girlfriend which would have probably earned him a beating had the comments been made to my face.

guns aren't OK, but exploiting the deaths of innocents, and in this case CHILDREN to push your political agenda and being completely disrespectful to your fellow man is totally OK. must be nice to live as a deranged progressive libtard sheep.

Maybe its not my place but if he's been a friend for 30 yrs I'd say give him a second chance.

You were right to not comprise your decision to carry. Beyond the simple principle of the matter, thats easily evidenced in the string of news stories and other general nuttiness during the holidays.
Your report of the conversation makes it sound like your friends reaction was emotional not logical. Maybe if you were to take him shooting, talk about some of the funny stories about others first carry experience or 'fear of printing' etc. and add in your own experience that nobody really notices/isn't observant and never creates a problem it would help him see the light (or at least become more comfortable) .
If you've already done all that then-I guess it is "to each his own" and just enjoy the season

Some things don't deserve a 2nd chance. Moonbat stupidity is one of them.

Are you sure it wasn't your avatar causing you to loose friends?

Damn I hope so!

How about some more background on the friend, I'm fascinated by people like that (true sheep).

This is where I am at a loss. He has known a guy for the last few years that has an arsenal, carries daily, and professionally shoots. I know they have gone places together and I have not heard any issue about him carrying. When we were young I did a lot of stupid stuff that was irresponsible. But that was more than two decades ago. I know my limits and did not and still do not own a motorcycle because I know I would probably kill myself on it. Now I am a father, business owner, scout leader, own a house, and am an all around responsible person. He is 46 years old, still lives with his parents, has bad credit, lives paycheck to paycheck and thinks that the 30k in his 401k is all he needs to retire some day. So it is quite ironic. Years ago I realized that I have to accept him for who he is, an opinionated ass. Is it too much to expect the same? I think not. I have accepted a lot of his faults, but this one could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Damn I hope so!
, and am an all around responsible person. He is 46 years old, still lives with his parents, has bad credit, lives paycheck to paycheck and thinks that the 30k in his 401k is all he needs to retire some day.

Glad I read this part before I responded. Your friend sounds like a retarded man child who can't even take care of himself. No wonder why he has an issue with a man who chooses to be a responsible accountable member of society.

[/QUOTE]This is where I am at a loss. He has known a guy for the last few years that has an arsenal, carries daily, and professionally shoots. I know they have gone places together and I have not heard any issue about him carrying. When we were young I did a lot of stupid stuff that was irresponsible. But that was more than two decades ago. I know my limits and did not and still do not own a motorcycle because I know I would probably kill myself on it. Now I am a father, business owner, scout leader, own a house, and am an all around responsible person. He is 46 years old, still lives with his parents, has bad credit, lives paycheck to paycheck and thinks that the 30k in his 401k is all he needs to retire some day. So it is quite ironic. Years ago I realized that I have to accept him for who he is, an opinionated ass. Is it too much to expect the same? I think not. I have accepted a lot of his faults, but this one could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.[/QUOTE]

I do need to add a few things. He is the guy who is always there for you. If I was in trouble at 3AM and needed him, he would be there. If my kids ever needed help and I was unreachable, he would walk out of his workplace and go. If I were dead, he would be the one to call my wife weekly for the rest of his life to make sure she and my kids were ok. He is generous to a fault. These things are hard to find in many people and are the things I always remember when he does piss me off.

Although it is a result of a tragedy, my friend has come around. After much discussion between us and my explanation of the reasons I carry, he has seen the logic in my decision. He is so disturbed by this school shooting he was willing to listen to my explanations of the fact that these shootings were all in GFZs, that an armed teacher would have saved many lives, how the guy who was carrying in Oregon may have caused the shooter to commit suicide before he could do any more damage, and the fact that I would defend not only myself, but also him, my family, and any innocents if I ever had to draw my gun. Although he will never carry himself, he now understands why I will. I am good with that.

Back
Top Bottom