Trudeau lays down the hammer

Why would I do that? A teacher putting a Trump campaign sticker in the window would be just as bad as a teacher putting a Biden one there. No thank you.

We have kids wearing Trump shirts and MAGA hats. During the zoom lessons a couple years ago, we had kids with Trump flags on the cameras. Nobody cares all that much. They certainly don't get persecuted. Sorry if that conflicts with your narrative, but I'd tell you what I've always told NES' education critics: come on in and observe a school anytime. Call your local principal, get yourself CORI'd, and come with an open mind. I suspect it might not be what you think it'll be.

Or? Keep on giving your opinion. I'll take my observations over that.

As for the rest of your post? Sorry. I don't pay any attention to the federal DOE (no teacher does), and as little as possible to the DESE. They produce curriculum every ten years or so, like they always have, and we look at it, take what we can use, and ignore the rest. But make NO mistake: if curriculum fails to get taught, that's 100% on the administrators and the teachers, not on the union. I really do think you have no idea what the union actually does, but that's okay. You shouldn't want to be involved with it. Even most of those of us who are in it, often don't like it
I agree with you to a point. But if your school district, or whoever sets curriculum, had a hard on for CRT would the union push back and say no or would they negotiate a deal.

Yup. I’m worried sick about my kids in public school but my oldest is in middle school and she and almost all the kids ain’t having it. The shit she tells me…we would never get away with in school. A lot of these teachers (strong independent women) are to weak to command control of a classroom. It’s easier to try and brainwash them with BS and kindness. It’s good to see young adolescents standing up for themselves when they know what is actually not part of the learning process.
But white, progressive woman are the majority in the public school system and they have an agenda, especially in large Dem run cities.

I wish all these progressives would move to Canada and make it a Utopian paradise they so desire. They can't handle debate, criticism, Alpha Males, Trump, firearms, conflict, etc. Remember Weingarten led the charge to close schools during the non-pandemic and bilk the govt. of Billions.

I agree with you to a point. But if your school district, or whoever sets curriculum, had a hard on for CRT would the union push back and say no or would they negotiate a deal.

I don't think you understand the roles here. The union is not responsible for curriculum. It would have nothing to say about it. That comes from the superintendent's office. In the town where I teach, the parents are MORE than willing to ask questions about curriculum, and it's the super that answers them.

If there was an aspect of implementing the new curriculum that violated the contract (say, requiring teachers to stay for extra training in how to teach it), that's when the union would step in about the contract violation. Otherwise, though individual teachers might complain to the union about the new curriculum (and believe me, they would), the union would listen politely and then explain that it's not the union's business.

I know all this because I've done all this, as a building rep. Teachers complain about all sorts of things. 90% of the time, I have to explain to them that what they're complaining about has nothing to do with the contract, and therefore nothing to do with the union.

As for what the unions do on the state or national level? None of that comes from classroom teachers. It all comes from lobbyists and consultants.

Survey respondents by an almost three to one margin (60.4% vs 21.2%) believe the media is paying too much attention to CRT, with an even higher percentage of survey participants (78 %) agreeing outside factors, including sensationalized headlines are interfering with a productive and necessary discussion regarding race in America.”
Social studies.

As importantly, I've been in the union for almost 20 years. In that time, I've seen zero evidence that the union has controlled anything I or my fellow teachers have brought up in the classroom. Administrators do that.
I’m piecing together that the 60% of teachers who think the media are paying too much attention to CRT are not doing so in hopes of staying off the radar screen - they just don’t see CRT as being foisted on them to teach as gospel. The 78% considering the media sensationalism as a distraction from discussion of race in America may also be those looking to find some balance from the era when GW chopped down the cherry tree and could not tell a lie.

But as we agreed, teaching is not uniform across regions, states, cities, districts, teachers. Where CRT/1619 does gain traction amongst administration/teachers, we may find a faction developed that not just wanders aimlessly through life, but who reject the basis of America’s founding, past, present and future. What do they do if empowered by a Democratic government?

America had our Glorious Revolution and founding 1760-1840, while France had an absolutely shit time with their own revolution. Alexis de Tocqueville wrote his classic Democracy in America, but also wrote The Ancient Regime and the French Revolution, to send us lessons from the past. Read them together to see what could happen were Antifa, 1619 advocates, Progressives and the leftist Hoi Pallio decide to *revolt*. Of course, our government and a sizable faction of our armed forces would have to be sympathetic to their cause. The leftist intellectuals will not sully their hands bearing weapons of war…

Makes me wonder where the JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion) effort is being directed by our Pentagon leaders…

[apologies if I wax lyrically, a bit early to be in my cups, but it’s a holiday weekend - and effit, I’m retired 😉]

I don't think you understand the roles here. The union is not responsible for curriculum. It would have nothing to say about it. That comes from the superintendent's office. In the town where I teach, the parents are MORE than willing to ask questions about curriculum, and it's the super that answers them.

If there was an aspect of implementing the new curriculum that violated the contract (say, requiring teachers to stay for extra training in how to teach it), that's when the union would step in about the contract violation. Otherwise, though individual teachers might complain to the union about the new curriculum (and believe me, they would), the union would listen politely and then explain that it's not the union's business.

I know all this because I've done all this, as a building rep. Teachers complain about all sorts of things. 90% of the time, I have to explain to them that what they're complaining about has nothing to do with the contract, and therefore nothing to do with the union.

As for what the unions do on the state or national level? None of that comes from classroom teachers. It all comes from lobbyists and consultants.
So forcing new curriculum isn't a change of working conditions? I would think your union would step in and negotiate something like that. I don't know you teachers are weird like that. My Dpw rep would be all over that shit. Town has managements rights but not without negotiating with us. We have shut down more crap that way and we cant even arbitrate.

So forcing new curriculum isn't a change of working conditions? I would think your union would step in and negotiate something like that. I don't know you teachers are weird like that. My Dpw rep would be all over that shit. Town has managements rights but not without negotiating with us. We have shut down more crap that way and we cant even arbitrate.

Nope. I've lost count of the number of times curriculum initiatives have changed since I've been teaching. I've never had anything at all to say about it, nor has the union; again, employees complain, and are told that nothing can be done.

Negotiable things, in my town, include pay, overall hours, sick leave, and stipends, and VERY little more. We have no control over curriculum, the start and end dates to the school year, the number of PD days we're required to show up for, the content of that PD, or the use of instructional technology. We have [very] limited input into start/end times and teacher duties.

To be fair, teachers across the board are pretty good at simply not implementing changes they don't feel like implementing, then daring their principals to do something about it. But enforcing that is, again, on the administrators.

ETA: As I re-read your post, I'm not sure what you mean by "new curriculum." The state sets that, updates it periodically, and then the teachers are supposed to implement it. But they have freedom in how they choose to do that, as long as their administrators give them that freedom. So, in theory, every World History II teacher statewide is responsible for covering all the same shit, but how they do that is up to them. None of that is negotiated through the unions, and in most cases the principals or department heads never even know about it unless there's a dispute with a parent.

Didn't DeSantis get crucified by Teacher's Unions and Dems for pushing back on their sexual curriculum?
DeSantis likes to take credit for a lot of good stuff he does. But he's not taking credit for the dumpster fire that is the normal florida public education system. FL can't even staff it's schools.

Reminds me of when the Admin said there was a problem with the paycheck printing system and paychecks would issue next Wednesday rather than this Friday. The Physical Plant sent a memo out saying there was a problem with the boilers and power would resume next Thursday. We all got handwritten paychecks by Noon that Friday.

There’s a lot that can be done without quoting contractual obligations…

DeSantis likes to take credit for a lot of good stuff he does. But he's not taking credit for the dumpster fire that is the normal florida public education system. FL can't even staff it's schools.

I think a lot of the public schools though in this whole country are garbage never mind FL. Obviously there are going to be some that do much better than others but the
average is probably getting poor. Or at least a lot of it is dysfunctional at best. My ex got lucky and got to move her youngest into a charter school where they actually wouldnt tolerate
incessant bullying basically tolerated by most of the dump city public school systems in MA.

It’s been a while, but when I was off at college (Iowa State - Go Cyclones) my other three sibs moved to Florida with my parents. The two in HS got shuttled to Community College and the one in Middle School got sent to HS. The lowest common denominator in FL is .. rather low.

That said, some self-proclaimed “Florida-Crackers" I’ve known were the finest folks that strode the Earth. Good People have only their work and deeds to define them.

I think a lot of the public schools though in this whole country are garbage never mind FL. Obviously there are going to be some that do much better than others but the
average is probably getting poor. Or at least a lot of it is dysfunctional at best. My ex got lucky and got to move her youngest into a charter school where they actually wouldnt tolerate
incessant bullying basically tolerated by most of the dump city public school systems in MA.

FL has an obsession with paying people the lowest dollar amount as possible. And as a result most public jobs have massive retention issues. The FL teacher one was a full blown crisis last school year to the point where veterans (just being a veteran) with some college can teach in FL as a stop gap. Why that is an appropriate solution no one but DeSantis seems to know.

The irony is I am eligible to be a teacher in FL. I'm not a school teacher and my BA has zero to do with anything in a school setting.

I'm not a firefighter in FL. Despite 2 degrees in the field, a shit ton of experience and certifications, etc. [rofl]

FL recently made a partial exemption for "military firefighters" (not defined) for it's ponzi scheme here and the best part is they are already exempt in the way recently granted. FL is so retarded they made an exemption for a group of people who are already exempt under FL's current insane firefighting license scheme. I have been loosly working with some state officials to get some things fixed so they make a little sense. They proudly sent me the above info thinking it was a big win for out of state firefighters. When I told them they were already exempt under FL law they didnt even know what to do. It's insane here. [rofl]

So yes, most of the country has state level problems. But FL has some really, really insane ones. As mentioned, the state doesnt even understand it's own systems in a lot of cases. I'm not sure if its because they hire people for $9 an hour to oversee this shit or the people dont stay around long enough to actually learn the systems they are in. Either way it's wild.

Nope. I've lost count of the number of times curriculum initiatives have changed since I've been teaching. I've never had anything at all to say about it, nor has the union; again, employees complain, and are told that nothing can be done.

Negotiable things, in my town, include pay, overall hours, sick leave, and stipends, and VERY little more. We have no control over curriculum, the start and end dates to the school year, the number of PD days we're required to show up for, the content of that PD, or the use of instructional technology. We have [very] limited input into start/end times and teacher duties.

To be fair, teachers across the board are pretty good at simply not implementing changes they don't feel like implementing, then daring their principals to do something about it. But enforcing that is, again, on the administrators.

ETA: As I re-read your post, I'm not sure what you mean by "new curriculum." The state sets that, updates it periodically, and then the teachers are supposed to implement it. But they have freedom in how they choose to do that, as long as their administrators give them that freedom. So, in theory, every World History II teacher statewide is responsible for covering all the same shit, but how they do that is up to them. None of that is negotiated through the unions, and in most cases the principals or department heads never even know about it unless there's a dispute with a parent.
Wow. I hope you dont pay much for dues.

Wow. I hope you dont pay much for dues.

You're starting to see why I read posts here about how much "power" teachers' unions have, and just shake my head and wonder WTF they're talking about. I'm never surprised when I find out that it's "something I've read recently."

Fake news. Teachers' unions have problems, but too much power ain't one of them. Most of that, BTW, is regulated by state law, which severely limits what the unions are able to do here. I'm sure other states are different.

FL has an obsession with paying people the lowest dollar amount as possible. And as a result most public jobs have massive retention issues. The FL teacher one was a full blown crisis last school year to the point where veterans (just being a veteran) with some college can teach in FL as a stop gap. Why that is an appropriate solution no one but DeSantis seems to know.

The irony is I am eligible to be a teacher in FL. I'm not a school teacher and my BA has zero to do with anything in a school setting.

I'm not a firefighter in FL. Despite 2 degrees in the field, a shit ton of experience and certifications, etc. [rofl]

FL recently made a partial exemption for "military firefighters" (not defined) for it's ponzi scheme here and the best part is they are already exempt in the way recently granted. FL is so retarded they made an exemption for a group of people who are already exempt under FL's current insane firefighting license scheme. I have been loosly working with some state officials to get some things fixed so they make a little sense. They proudly sent me the above info thinking it was a big win for out of state firefighters. When I told them they were already exempt under FL law they didnt even know what to do. It's insane here. [rofl]

So yes, most of the country has state level problems. But FL has some really, really insane ones. As mentioned, the state doesnt even understand it's own systems in a lot of cases. I'm not sure if its because they hire people for $9 an hour to oversee this shit or the people dont stay around long enough to actually learn the systems they are in. Either way it's wild.
Izzat about making sure only friends and family get hired for pensionable jobs? While here in SoNH, they cry about unfilled PD/FD positions, plenty of decent candidates get passed over to pick up one applicant with connections…

Izzat about making sure only friends and family get hired for pensionable jobs? While here in SoNH, they cry about unfilled PD/FD positions, plenty of decent candidates get passed over to pick up one applicant with connections…

Thats an issue although not related.

In FL you have to be a "FL certified" firefighter, which literally means you just have to be in FL to pass the NFPA 2013 1000/1001 school and test. I've passed that exact same test and have the credentials to prove it. Hell, no one in FL even questions the fact that I am not qualified, I'm just not administratively qualified for lack of better term.

The problem is in FL you have to pay your own way through the fire academy, whereas the vast majority of normal departments all over the world either provide it for free or in my case, pay you to attend it. Going to an academy on your own is a little crazy as people can and do get hurt at them. When I was going through it the class ahead of me had someone almost die from rhabdo. The class after me also had a major injury but I cant recall it. Anyway, if I get hurt I am f***ed in FL. In MA, if I get hurt at the academy i'm simply sent back to the station to heal and then back to the academy when I'm ready - I'd be working the entire time one way or another.

Injury liability/protection aside I'm not paying ~$7,000+ to get the license transfered. FL being FL even has the full blown 3 month academy cheaper than the 2 week "refresher" (this is how you tie knots - hur durrr). I believe the full length academy is about 5k. So why is the out of state one thats 2 weeks long add up to more? because FL is retarded.

And as you mentioned, nepotism. It's a major problem here. Even if I kissed the ring, did all that nonsense to prove I know how to raise a ladder and tie knots (that what they test you on in FL - true story [rofl]) I'd have a hard time getting hired. I have a friend on in Naples who assures me I'd get hired if I'd apply. I said great, let me talk to the chief and get a verbal (and I'm serious, it's not a big deal to do this. direct talks with the chiefs for transfers or hiring existing firefighters is common). They don't seem that interested afterall.

I've long moved on. While I loved firefighting I hate EMS. And FL is EMS city. Perhaps it was for the best. I just think it's wicked F'd up how they jerk around out of state firefighters. I live about 2 miles from an academy I drive by it every day. And that place is GHETTO. Not like anything special is going on in schools here, they are all small for profit run shit holes.

Important to note, I cant even apply as a firefighter here until I pay that 7k. It's BS.

Last edited:
Some percentage of this country will not submit to a real ban or confiscation. How many, I dunno. But there are enough citizens, trained to fight in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, that such a program is doomed to fail.

Thats an issue although not related.

In FL you have to be a "FL certified" firefighter, which literally means you just have to be in FL to pass the NFPA 2013 1000/1001 school and test. I've passed that exact same test and have the credentials to prove it. Hell, no one in FL even questions the fact that I am not qualified, I'm just not administratively qualified for lack of better term.

The problem is in FL you have to pay your own way through the fire academy, whereas the vast majority of normal departments all over the world either provide it for free or in my case, pay you to attend it. Going to an academy on your own is a little crazy as people can and do get hurt at them. When I was going through it the class ahead of me had someone almost die from rhabdo. The class after me also had a major injury but I cant recall it. Anyway, if I get hurt I am f***ed in FL. In MA, if I get hurt at the academy i'm simply sent back to the station to heal and then back to the academy when I'm ready - I'd be working the entire time one way or another.

Injury liability/protection aside I'm not paying ~$7,000+ to get the license transfered. FL being FL even has the full blown 3 month academy cheaper than the 2 week "refresher" (this is how you tie knots - hur durrr). I believe the full length academy is about 5k. So why is the out of state one thats 2 weeks long add up to more? because FL is retarded.

And as you mentioned, nepotism. It's a major problem here. Even if I kissed the ring, did all that nonsense to prove I know how to raise a ladder and tie knots (that what they test you on in FL - true story [rofl]) I'd have a hard time getting hired. I have a friend on in Naples who assures me I'd get hired if I'd apply. I said great, let me talk to the chief and get a verbal (and I'm serious, it's not a big deal to do this. direct talks with the chiefs for transfers or hiring existing firefighters is common). They don't seem that interested afterall.

I've long moved on. While I loved firefighting I hate EMS. And FL is EMS city. Perhaps it was for the best. I just think it's wicked F'd up how they jerk around out of state firefighters. I live about 2 miles from an academy I drive by it every day. And that place is GHETTO. Not like anything special is going on in schools here, they are all small for profit run shit holes.

Just go teach.

I guarantee you, you'd have no difficulties. It's not a hard job for any veteran.

Just go teach.

I guarantee you, you'd have no difficulties. It's not a hard job for any veteran.
I taught a little in Kosovo and I'm apart of the teaching team for kids brazilian jiujitsu here ages 5-15.

While I am ok with teaching I don't particularly like it ironically enough. if my kids were not in the same kids class I would never in a million years teach it. I just teach it to spend extra time with them and keep my basic BJJ skills sharp. Selfish of me, but that's the truth. I don't actually like kids who aren't mine that much. I say this as a person who was probably the most annoying child on earth. Payback time.

As an example, the head instructor of the kids program clearly does love kids and does love teaching. He'd be the guy who should be working in a school. I don't have the best temperament for teaching outside of niche circumstances.

And they’ll sit. Maybe you’ll be arrested when they’re accidentally find them, or you’ll be arrested when pulled over at a traffic stop.

Or, you get through life with the contraband guns just fine, but when you croke, your relatives just hand them over to the police. And your kids or grandkids get indoctrinated into thinking guns are bad.

There wouldn’t be mass confiscations. They would just slowly chip away. Which is why constant lobbying, legal challenges, public perception swaying/normalizing and introducing new shooters is so important.

Hence the importance of fatherhood

77260944-5D82-4E5D-9637-D0AA2961C441.jpeg

You know......20 years ago I thought this was just "tough talk" and I'd chuckle when guys said it and thought to myself "yeah we talk tough......until there are a dozen armed men wearing body armor surrounding my house and we will all cave in and submit"......now.....complete 180. I'm 50.......lived more than half my life span already (3/4 of it at least)......I've done my share.......if it ever comes to confiscation I'm going down on a bed of freshly fired brass and shells. I know I'd never "win" that fight but I bet I'd be able to put 1 or 2 down before they breach my door. Think about that.....How many standoffs would it take losing 1 or 2 before the gov realizes it ain't worth it.
You might want to split up your gun collection and take it mobile to bring it to the gun grabbers, ammo first. Let's kill them before they kill us, but on our terms of ambushing them and their armored vehicles first!

I was taking to my best friend's uncle when I was visiting him in South Carolina.
He said the boys here sit in a tree all day, in the pouring rain, just for a chance to shoot a deer.
What do you think would happen if you come for their guns or family?
The gun-grabbers would be shot dead and strung up a meatpole as a warning to others, which is the only proper way to deal with such vermin!

As I've stated they won't need to kick in your door or raid your house, they'll have access to govt. records, credit card receipts, internet clicks and purchases, etc.
They can wait you out, starve you out, confiscate your assets, etc.
No more Ruby Ridge or Waco's, unless you live off the grid they can destroy you with a few keystrokes.
But not in numbers large enough to make a difference. Again, if they were to try to pull shit like this on a massive scale, they would kick a hornets nest that they would soon regret messing with.
You're starting to see why I read posts here about how much "power" teachers' unions have, and just shake my head and wonder WTF they're talking about. I'm never surprised when I find out that it's "something I've read recently."

Fake news. Teachers' unions have problems, but too much power ain't one of them. Most of that, BTW, is regulated by state law, which severely limits what the unions are able to do here. I'm sure other states are different.
I respectfully disagree. Maybe Teachers Unions as a stand alone entity do not wield the power that some would think, but when you consider that the MSM basically drops to it's knees to gobble the knob of the liberal leaders of most unions, to the point of needing to wipe their vile off of their chin before the cameras roll, the combination is substantial. Which is why we talk about it, and why every one knows what the unions stance on CRT and LGBT policies are.

Which is why we talk about it, and why every one knows what the unions stance on CRT and LGBT policies are.

Okay.

But, again, I've never heard as much about "CRT in tha skoollz!" as I do here on NES. And I'm in schools every day. I've never heard it mentioned by my union, my administrators, or my colleagues (except when we mock it). And that's in one of the most liberal states in the country.

Believe what you please. I'll take my observed reality above anyone else's opinions.

So my town’s school system has one of those Equity and inclusion representatives to explain how America is systemically racist. Last year he held a virtual town hall and I joined in to here his nonsense and see what the heck was going on. There were only 10 ppl included in the meeting…and that included him, the superintendent, ward councilman and some other wierdo guidance counselor type. So 6 parents and I was the only white person. It went exactly like I thought. The ppl in charge spewing all the National systemic racist BS we hear all over the legacy media and Internet. What a f***in joke. Talk about a tax sucking diversity hire for this nitwit! The parents, kids and most of the teachers in my town ain’t picking up what these idiots are laying down.

Wait…what’s the title of this thread again?🤔😂

Agreed, but it is all about population densities.

Look at the last election. Western Mass (west of Worcester) is irrelevant. We get token stop or two on the election trail but our votes don’t amount to piss hole in the snow. They know that and we are treated accordingly.
Welcome to Central Mass also. Unless we could go back to an honest way to count votes (not with machines) in Mass, the average working class citizen is screwed.

Believe what you please. I'll take my observed reality above anyone else's opinions.
I have never observed God. But that is not proof he does not exist.

I am glad (sincerely) that in your community and professional circles, you have never witnessed any support for CRT. But that is not proof it does not exist

Back
Top Bottom