1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Truck Failed inspection..advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PaulR, Aug 6, 2019.

1. atmay

atmay NES Member

I’m gunna hop on the mom-n-pop train. Unless you need tires (and possibly even then) don’t go to Firestone.

2. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I failed on moog ball joints on my pos dodge truck. I literally had the ball joints done the week before and had receipt in hand.

Maybe the douche bag who worked next to Mr. Muffler in Norwood was fired and went to Firestone?

W.E.C and PaulR like this.
  3. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Also, moog is not what it used to be.

W.E.C likes this.
  4. Greg

Greg

If your vehicle fails a mechanical part of an inspection, does the inspectee have a right to demand the mechanic show him/her exactly what the problem is ?

The whole inspection thing at shops that do repairs is a conflict of interest,I agree with the guy who said try and find a place that doesnt do repairs.

PaulR likes this.
  5. golden chicken

golden chicken

It also depends if you or the inspector is actually checking ball joints the correct way. If the ball joints are under tension when the truck is jacked up, you won't find anything. Most trucks need to have the jack support the lower control arm in order to unload the ball joint.

PaulR likes this.
  6. golden chicken

golden chicken

I always showed people what I found and how if they asked. I also described the failure on the notes line in case I wasn't the one fixing it or reinspecting it later. I know most guys don't do any of that.

As far as conflict of interest goes, I bet most places are barely breaking even on inspections. Just to pay the employee his crappy hourly wage to be there means he has to average 2 inspections an hour. It's probably more like 3 or 4 if you also count his benefits. The inspection bay takes up the space of at least one lift that could be producing. And if you don't have a separate guy doing inspections, your regular techs are interrupted at random.

7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Lol firestone? not sure if serious, that's half your problem right there. You want to go to the place where like one or two non-dick people are the ones doing all the inspections. If the same guy is there that was there last year, that's usually a good sign. Small auto repair places that have decent reps that also run inspections are the only place to get an inspection done. They stick to just the essentials and don't f*** around.

-Mike

greencobra and AntiHippie like this.
  8. drgrant

Good luck at finding a shop that only does inspections and "doesn't fix anything. " That thing does not exist. I have literally never seen a place like that. The only places I've seen like that are those sketchy as f*** "gas station with a minimally equipped bay" type ghetto lyfe deals that don't have a real mechanic, and THOSE are the ones that do the "hey we have this 40 dollar license plate bulb so you can pass now" trick BS.

-Mike

9. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

OP here,
    Yea, my regular local shop went out of business last year.
    Last year my reverse lights didn't work, I told him they worked when I left the house, he let me back it out of the garage and fix it right there, even loaned me a screwdriver, then passed me.
    I've got some advice on another local shop to try though, where mutual friends have been happy.

I'm going to take it back to Firestone this afternoon, with the old ball joint still in, and ask them to show me how its bad.
    Guaranteed waste of time as I'm sure they'll have me sit in the waiting room for 1.5 hours at least.

I like to think people/shops are inherently good, even though all I hear, I had good experience/price with tires with them in the past, now I see that it was just a loss leader to them.

10. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

For most “mom-n-pop” garages stickers are their bread and butter. They have to follow the rules especially now that RMV is in the bay with them but they don’t bust your stones.

I drive 20 minutes, past a bunch of inspection stations, to get my sticker at the same local “mom-n-pop” garage I have been going to for many years.

Bob

11. golden chicken

golden chicken

That's tough. I read in an industry magazine that quite a few shops are slated to close in the next 5 year's due to owners retiring. There's also a lack of technicians who are proficient in diagnosing today's advanced electrical systems and the industry is rapidly moving towards electric and hybridization. I think there is going to be a serious problem in 10 years or so once those cars lose their warranty.

HorizontalHunter likes this.
  12. powerman

powerman NES Member

some Moog junk.

there are estimates that average driver spends extra $500
    per year
    for suspension repair in addition to normal $ spent on wear and tear, all do to the bad roads.
    the guy test a million vehicles and knows what's bad probably, could be bad and is most likely bad and is trying to rip you off.

13. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

I know one that I go to that doesn't do repairs. They do detailing, but not repairs. Yes, sketchy as f***.

I do check all my stuff before I go for a sticker to prevent the 40 dollar license plate light issue. If I ever get the "your marker light is out we can't pass you unless you pay $40 for us to fix it" I simply say "You can pass me and I will fix it when I get home, or you can fail me and I will go fix it and come back and tie up your bay for half an hour with my free re-inspection. Your call."

AntiHippie, PaulR, W.E.C and 3 others like this.
  14. pernox

pernox

Come to Hinsdale. :) Dufour is a bus company, they do inspections for some reason too, but don't work on cars, just their own fleet of buses, vans, and limos. They inspect heavy trucks too, which I don't know if all inspection stations can do. Maybe doing cars is part of the gig to be able to inspect heavy vehicles? Either way, it's nice to know there's no money interest post inspection. ever.

drgrant likes this.
  15. drgrant

HUGE part of the problem is the administrative overhead of running small businesses (or at least, doing it LEGALLY) gets worse and worse by the year. 20-30something year old dudes (or ladies for that matter) with mechanic skills now just want to fix cars, not be responsible for 8000 pages of obamacare compliance bullshit witholding workmans comp blah blah blah poopy cacca bullshit, just so they can hire a couple of kids younger than them to hump tires around and do oil changes. That's why small businesses get punched squarely in the dick. In order to be viable you cannot grow slowly. You have to go from ONE GUY (maybe two if you're lucky enough to have a business partner you can trust implicitly, which is rare as f***) and scale exponentially or the money will never work. There's not a lot of space between "one guy" and "full retard". The cars/tech is the easy end of the problem. Most car maintenance doesnt need fancy shit, contrary to popular belief. Most decent cars are all about tires brakes batteries exhaust belts etec... that's 95% of the labor performed on cars these days. Government bullshit, not so much. Why would a smart mechanic kid want to deal with that when he can go work for a dealer and make gravy train without all that shit?

This precise reason is the reason I've never expanded my side business beyond "me" and maybe a couple of subcontractors I bring in and pay
    cash to off the cuff once in like 10 years or so. Because having to run a payroll etc would be a falcon punch in the dick. You have to go from "one guy" to being like "5 times that" to make out on the back end. The regulatory bullshit is absolutely brutal.

-Mike

PaulR and falcon123 like this.
  16. drgrant

Rickys in Leominster is likey set up like that, too. I think there's more money in commercial inspections which is why those places can survive. They probably do tank inspections and shit too. Still, those are the exception rather than the rule.

-Mike

pernox likes this.
  17. golden chicken

golden chicken

They can set whatever price they want on a commercial inspection, so there is theoretically money to be made as long as you don't price yourself out. A standard state inspection is $35 no matter where you go.

18. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

What did it fail for. Not Ready ? Monitor systems Fail? Not all codes turn on lights?

19. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

mOOG after all these years is by far still the worst in getting grease fittings and threads to actually go together well.

MOOG has a large coverage selection and availability.
    No idea who makes what for who anymore.

20. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Theres also a lack of income for techs especially if they are to buy tools.
    You want to get deep into diag as a tech .....what scanner do you want and how much licensing will you buy.
    If I could find another job i did not need to buy so many tools and make what I make now i would jump ship in a heart beat. Also now that my tools are aging ( I cant afford to up keep nice diag tools any more) my snap on vantage finally gave out , maybe after Im done paying off some medical I might replace it. Now as far as a good deep diag machine ugh the cost are just crazy for a tech to own.
    I keep telling my boss to pass on deep diag and lets just stick to basic repairs .
    Its getting silly when you have a trailer brake relay , module built into a fuel pump control module that nee be programmed so your trailer brake will work and your truck will start.
    The amount of ecms, modules and such on cars is crazy and the over lap of interface can be down right WTF !
    Oh and if you dont have a really good scanner you just get some random failure to comm codes or a general code that says the engine control module sees a code in one of the other modules that your POS scanner cant read because of licensing restrictions.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    golden chicken and PaulR like this.
  21. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

This is why moog sucks now, they are made in 16 different countries,
    The USA product is great, the same suspect countries blow.

Where are Moog parts made? The answer may surprise you! | Suspension.com

drgrant likes this.
  22. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

What i dont know is if this is the way the state wants it now.
    Over the past 2 years I get more more rejection papers that just say Front Suspension Fail and the customer says they where told the car would need a detailed inspection to see what is bad.

Most recently a customer came in with a older explorer.
    Failed for rear suspension. He said Tech had no idea what was wrong but felt really bad.....and it was. Wheel bearing flopping and upper cotrol are was flopping around.
    That turned into a shit show as everything was rotted and steel was "delaminating" on the knuckle. Then we spotted the rotted front radius arm bushing ......i dont know how this guy drove this thing! Not to mention the broken strut springs front and rear. Guy stepped up and fixed everyrhing ........loves his exsploder

23. T-Unit

T-Unit

For suspension parts, would you go Moog or pay triple the price for OEM? For that matter, how do we know who makes OEM parts for cars that are 10+ years old?

24. golden chicken

golden chicken

Lately I have had a bunch of tire pressure monitor modules and blind spot monitors causing weird stuff like no cranks or no shift from park.

Soon, seemingly unrelated things like headlamps are going to cause similar issues because adaptive headlamps need to be on the powertrain network along with engine, abs/esp, tpms, blind spot, collision avoidance, etc.

I not only need a factory scan tool, but I also need an oscilloscope to do what I do best.

25. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Thats what a liked about my vantage all though its a old platform it was still useful. Although newer cars 2017 newer seem to have even small connections and wires Im basically close done with diag beyound codes and parts failures.

26. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

Your not going to see a lot of inventory on oem level for 10+ year old cars.
    As for wear your OEM parts are made? Look on the package

27. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

I was just explaining this to my son a month or two ago - the old inspection shakedowns. You go to the small independent [insert modern PC term for Ahab the Arab owned] shop, they shake you down for something trivial like a brake light, you pay the ten bucks for a bulb they don't replace because it works just fine, and they ignore everything else. Not sure how it works out with the modern MA inspections, but I always had something legit wrong with my vehicles in MA, so I went along with it. I mean, they could have just come right out and offered to pass it for a ten or twenty dollar bill and skipped the brake light charade, but whatever. I have a healthy enough disrespect for the PR of Mass .gov that I never felt unethical playing along.

76Too likes this.
  28. drgrant

Depends on what the actual costs are. Also for some brands you can get access to oem discounted parts, too, if you have time for shipping. Most car repairs are labor not parts, skinflinting on parts rarely pans out, unless the oem ones are junk too.

-Mike

W.E.C likes this.
  29. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Not ready. WHich is weird because no battery was disconnected, no work was done to the car, I drive backroads and highway every single day.

30. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Have never had a code, no battery disconnection, no recently cleared CEL, etc. I drive highway and backroads every day, too, so I don't know why it would say "not ready" for like 5 tests.