• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Troy Slaps Dick's

For your perusal:

Breaking – Troy Industries is NOT back in business with Dick’s Sporting Goods

This release from their facebook page…

It has come to our attention several media outlets are reporting that Dick’s Sporting Goods (DSG) will resume sales of Troy Defense Carbines through their new retail outlet Field & Stream.

Dick’s Sporting Goods severed its business relationship with Troy Industries, Inc. in December, 2012. Troy has not sold or shipped any Troy Defense Carbines to DSG since that time, nor is it Troy’s intention to sell any rifles to Dick’s Sporting Goods, its subsidiaries or affiliates in the future.

If Dick’s Sporting Goods has rifles to sell at its affiliate store, the only logical explanation is that the retailer had Troy Defense Carbines stored in backroom inventory.

We apologize to any of our supporters for any confusion. Troy has reached out to writers to have these erroneous media instances redacted.

Dick’s behavior during a time of crisis clearly shows they do not support the Second Amendment as we at Troy Industries do.

Well, as much as I have to admire Troy for their backbone on this, it may be a not-so-great move business wise, especially when dealing with such a large scale retailer. Dick's won't be hurt a bit because some other company like S&W will ultimately jump right into that void. Kudos to them for standing behind their 2A beliefs though!

Well, as much as I have to admire Troy for their backbone on this, it may be a not-so-great move business wise, especially when dealing with such a large scale retailer. Dick's won't be hurt a bit because some other company like S&W will ultimately jump right into that void. Kudos to them for standing behind their 2A beliefs though!
Once you count up all of the Pro 2nd folks (like me) that will not buy ANYTHING from them, even a tent, it starts to add up though.

tb078f5_GrumpyCatGood.jpg

Attachments

• tb078f5_GrumpyCatGood.jpg
    tb078f5_GrumpyCatGood.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 139
Once you count up all of the Pro 2nd folks (like me) that will not buy ANYTHING from them, even a tent, it starts to add up though.
That's just the problem though. There's too many so called pro 2a that still have the "hurray for me and fvck you" attitude. Until we get united, these *******s will continues to ignore us.

Last edited:

Selling to a large scale retailer is risky, and not always the gold mine expected. The routine (which nearly killed Hi Standard via Sears) goes like this:

- Small company gets contract. Everyone celebrates

- Small company expands, opens more facilities, and hires more workers to fill contract.

- Contract is up for renewal. Small company rep goes to meed with mega retailer thinking about the percent unit price increase (s)he will negotiate. Mega retailer announced "we have determined the price reduction will be x%, take it or leave it". Small company reluctantly accepts.

- The above repeats until the small company is actually losing money on each unit - but accepts because the costs of shutting down some production facilities is large than the loss servicing mega corp.

- Process repeats.

There is also a risk mega corp will find an alternative source, or even source the product themselves (read http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/b...ghts-a-chinese-rival.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 to see how ruthless Sears can be - though I know this exact issue does not exist with an out of patent design).

Selling to a large scale retailer is risky, and not always the gold mine expected. The routine (which nearly killed Hi Standard via Sears) goes like this:

- Small company expands, opens more facilities, and hires more workers to fill contract.

- Contract is up for renewal. Small company rep goes to meed with mega retailer thinking about the percent unit price increase (s)he will negotiate. Mega retailer announced "we have determined the price reduction will be x%, take it or leave it". Small company reluctantly accepts.

- The above repeats until the small company is actually losing money on each unit - but accepts because the costs of shutting down some production facilities is large than the loss servicing mega corp.

- Process repeats.

There is also a risk mega corp will find an alternative source, or even source the product themselves (read http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/b...ghts-a-chinese-rival.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 to see how ruthless Sears can be - though I know this exact issue does not exist with an out of patent design).

Having worked for many food companies that have done business with large retailers, you pretty much nailed it.

The one item not on the list....hopefulness.
Many small companies will take the price reduction, or even start the relationship at a loss, because they believe this is what will get them in. This is the "sign of good faith" that will get them a larger, more profitable deal later.
This only works if you are peddling cheap shit with a large margin (or actually doing business with a company that has some scruples, and those are almost always privately-owned). Think of Doritos, cheap Chinese tools, and poorly constructed garments.

The big guy sees you can be manipulated and then manipulates you.
The thing with these giant places is that they almost always have crazy turnover in purchasing. Some guy comes in, wants to make a name for himself, then moves on. This person pushes wherever possible to get that cost down, no matter what. Really, they are just doing their jobs of reducing cost to the company. But, it translates into companies making goods that are lower in quality or selling their wares elsewhere.

Considering that the AWB renewal scare has been put to rest (at least for the foreseeable future), and demand for AR's has pretty much returned to normal, it's doubtful Troy would have seen any meaningful or substantial increase in profits by taking the deal with Dicks at this time.

Dicks SG just living up to their name.

Dicks and Cheaper Then Dirt:

Two outfits that are not getting a dime from me.. like ever..

I love Troy rails. Put them on many AR's.

- Process repeats.

+1 for an excellent description of this process. WalMart is the most noted for this practice, but they are not the only large corporation that does it. I commend Troy for standing up for a principle. I don't believe I currently own any Troy products, but I will keep definitely keep them in mind for the future.

- Process repeats.

I thought home depot perfected this model. From what i understand they would do the above and then buy said company.
where else can one get a troy AR?

I thought home depot perfected this model. From what i understand they would do the above and then buy said company.

K-Mart is the only one I have first-hand knowledge of doing this.

I used to work for a plastic housewares company. Out loss-leader product was the cheap plastic hanger. When the price of plastic skyrocketed, our sales rep went to K-Mart and asked for a price increase, explaining that we were selling them hangers for less than the cost of the plastic in them. They refused.

When the price of plastic came down a few months later, K-Mart called in the sales rep and explained they were taking a price cut to reflect the lower production cost.

The VP went to see the buyer and explained that we would not sell to them below cost. The buyer replied "I know you just built a new factory in Georgia to make our hangers. You can't afford to refuse." The VP asked if he could use the buyer's phone. He picked up the phone, dialed a number, and said "Rocky, switch over to Walmart". He hung up and told the buyer that the plant in Georgia was no longer making K-Mart hangers.

they already were--then they bitched out like the sally little day lady bitches that they are and stopped carrying ARs and issued the "because newtown" statement. losers.

That's what I was saying.

When they stopped selling after Newtown, I knew they'd get back into the market once all the screaming for gun control from the soccer moms subsided.

Yup, I won't buy anything from them, not a damn thing from the time they turned their backs on us into perpetuity. Free market, baby: they have the right to ba as wrong as they want and I have the right to not shop there.

Posted from my car phone.

Troy can't control what Dick's buys from wholesalers, though.

Yes they can. They can have it in their distributor agreement that Dick's shall not receive any product. If the distributor violates that provision, they can stop sending the distributor product.

I'll never buy another rifle from dicks. 4 hours of plain stupidity. Just to buy a 22 and a .17 hmr. First two weapons since being stuck in this state. I was stunned when I bought a 1911 in minutes at North Shore.

Good principles and good business practices are unfortunately often not the same thing.

LOL... sounds like Dicks really boned themselves.

Now, the anti's plan on boycotting them too...

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America shared a link.
Wednesday near Zionsville, IN
DICK'S BACK IN THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BUSINESS: Dick’s Sporting Goods are spinning off a new chain of sporting stores called Field & Stream, which will sell Bushmaster AR-15 rifles (M4 ORC and others), Remington AR-15s (R15, R25), S&W AR-15s (M&P 15 Tactical and others) as well as Stag and DPMS AR-15s. This is disappointing given that we lauded Dick's when they stopped selling assault weapons after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook elementary.

Let Dick's Sporting Goods know that moms don't want assault weapons sold in our communities:

Sue Stebner Free NRA membership with every assault weapon of mass destruction? Crossing these Dick's off my list of stores!
Wednesday at 9:30am · 2

Elizabeth Hunt BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Wednesday at 9:32am

RoseLee Bernstein what ever you name it I will not come
Wednesday at 9:41am

Danielle DeFrancesco So disappointing! Another store off my list!
Wednesday at 9:44am

Xiomara del Orbe Another store I'll not shop in.
Wednesday at 11:05am

Kathleen White Hildreth BOYCOTT!
Wednesday at 11:08am

Karen Isley They won't get any of my business!
Wednesday at 12:42pm · 1

Tony Ratai I will never give them my hard earned money again!!!
Wednesday at 1:37pm

Linda Joy Weinstein dislike... no more sporting good from Dicks.
Wednesday at 1:39pm via mobile · 1

Ellen Collier I will not support Dick's or Field & Stream. Money talks & Bullshit walks!!
Wednesday at 2:09pm

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandAction

And, it's spilling over to Dicks FaceBook page...

https://www.facebook.com/dickssportinggoods?directed_target_id=0

Back
Top Bottom