Trouble finding 7.62x54r

are we talking an M39 Finn?

Yeah. I need to spend more time shooting it, but I never really got better than 3-4" groups at 100 yards with either surplus or the PPU match ammo. I figured that was as good as I would get with surplus, but thought I should do better with the better ammo.

Maybe the problem is behind the rifle.

Yeah, not recently. The days of $200 crates seem to be long gone. Even when crates were cheap, it was still $8 per paper pack at most gun shops.

exactly. $120 is a bargain price for a can now if you ever see it, and its not going to be at a shop but a private sale.

exactly. $120 is a bargain price for a can now if you ever see it, and its not going to be at a shop but a private sale.

SO or Rileys have any left? I remember SO having those Czech crates 760 rounds for $200 and change?? Can't remember. I think I posted about it in this thread.

Yeah. I need to spend more time shooting it, but I never really got better than 3-4" groups at 100 yards with either surplus or the PPU match ammo. I figured that was as good as I would get with surplus, but thought I should do better with the better ammo.

Maybe the problem is behind the rifle.

I think 3-4" is still very good for even a fin rifle. Especially with surplus and even ppu.
If you can find it try some of the Russian surplus match ammo.
Or PPU match.

You guys had better just grab the Prvi / Herters ammo while it's under $18 a box. Accumulate boxer-primed brass and keep rolling your own.
Even the Albanian surplus is easily reloaded, assuming you have some KV762N primers (which appear to be unavailable again), but that isn't cheap anymore. See the ad from Armslist: 150 rounds for $125
http://www.armslist.com/posts/50918...--approx-150-rds-albanian-7-62x54r-brass-ammo

Here's some silhouette ammo for your Mosin...

FWIW, I see there is a crate (880 Round Sealed Case of 7.62x54r 148gr FMG Russian Surplus Ammunition) in VT for $290 ; that's 33 cents a pop.

Last edited:
Shot my Vepr with Brass cased Pvri stuff. There was a dent on the neck and body. The damage does not seem major but man is the Vepr rough on cases. It flings spent cases with quite a bit of force and distance.

Any Spotted spam cans in the area? I've went to Walmart and their supply of 54R is very low compared to everything else. Find one or two boxes at most.

Shot my Vepr with Brass cased Pvri stuff. There was a dent on the neck and body. The damage does not seem major but man is the Vepr rough on cases. It flings spent cases with quite a bit of force and distance.

Any Spotted spam cans in the area? I've went to Walmart and their supply of 54R is very low compared to everything else. Find one or two boxes at most.

It really has dried up.

Sounds like a Hakim. Any means of adding a deflector pad to soften the blow on the brass?
I am not familiar with the layout of the VEPR.
I added a foam pad on the deflector and the brass dings/dents are no longer an issue in the Hakim.

Can't help any of you MA folks regarding ammo. I do see spam cans on the "...list" named after your appendages, but doubt they are under 25 cents a round these days (I have to watch out for big brother when dropping names). There was a fella at a swap meet selling Albanian surplus for 25 cents a round, but you'll have to contact him for inventory (in SE CT).
If you have the KV762N berdan primers (.217" diameter), you can easily reload the Albanian brass cased fodder.

I don't suspect the Egyptians nor most eastern bloc countries were too concerned about scavenging fired brass for reload purposes.

Oh... almost forgot...

Last edited:
The price of 7.62x54 is getting close to leveling off. You can find boxer primed .308/7.62x51 for 50 cents apiece in WalMart so corrosive Berdan 7.62x54 can't go up much more. Ammoseek shows .35 cents each for the cheapest spam cans. Don't forget shipping if that's available to you. Mosins are poised to be could've been rifles now that Wolf is closing in price wise to all the other medium rifle ammunition. The days of 5 cent 8MM, 7 cent 7.62x39 and 10 cent 30-06 are long gone. So too will be cheap 7.62x54. I stopped buying when it passed $90 a tin thinking, like an idiot, it couldn't go much higher. I see small amounts for 30 or so cents apiece here and there but most of these are suspect at best.

Last known crate I seen in stock anywhere was 330$/880 rounds.
For .10-12 cents,more I will buy the new wolf and or red army stuff

Last edited:
The price of 7.62x54 is getting close to leveling off. You can find boxer primed .308/7.62x51 for 50 cents apiece in WalMart so corrosive Berdan 7.62x54 can't go up much more...

I don't know if ZQI 7.62x51mm at Wal-Mart has much relevance to 7.62x54R prices, but one popular online source lists steel-cased 54R ammo ranging from 51 cents a round to 70 cents a round. Brass up to $1.45 a round. These are mostly 20 round boxes, but there isn't a big discount for 10 box purchases.
My guess is that ZQI is attempting to become known and gain some market share. After this is achieved, you won't see 50 cent 7.62x51mm.

Hint: Buy all the ZQI 7.62x51mm that you can find! (I am not an MKEK sales rep.)

Perhaps you can strike a deal with the youg fella in Pakistan...
starting at 4:06...

http://www.vice.com/video/the-gun-markets-of-pakistan

Last edited:
I don't know if ZQI 7.62x51mm at Wal-Mart has much relevance to 7.62x54R prices, but one popular online source lists steel-cased 54R ammo ranging from 51 cents a round to 70 cents a round. Brass up to $1.45 a round. These are mostly 20 round boxes, but there isn't a big discount for 10 box purchases.
My guess is that ZQI is attempting to become known and gain some market share. After this is achieved, you won't see 50 cent 7.62x51mm.

Hint: Buy all the ZQI 7.62x51mm that you can find! (I am not an MKEK sales rep.)

Perhaps you can strike a deal with the youg fella in Pakistan...
starting at 4:06...

http://www.vice.com/video/the-gun-markets-of-pakistan
Im not sure if this is something new or not but I have seen more of the Wolf new production copper washed steel 762x54r
I think the 50 cent 762x51 cheap ammo will be around for a bit. depending on the market that is buying it. If they are looking for 4-5 MOA then that's fine if the market is expecting better for 50 cents this will help keep prices low as they wont buy it. My friend tried some through his dads NM M1a which will shoot FGGM to a touch over 1" when he tried ZQI the best he did was 3.5"5 shot group.

54r will go down as one of those " I should have" items.
I know when I first started with the mosins the tins where 75& each and you could get a crate for 135$ I bought a few crates. I stocked up again at 90$ a tin.
only thing good is this might drive the price of mosins down as the cheap ammo is drying up?

reviving an older thread..... I saw 7.62X54 spam cans at the Manchester gun show for around $225-$250 a can. it was marked russian and bulgarian.... really? i've been out of shooting for a while.. has it really gotten that high?

reviving an older thread..... I saw 7.62X54 spam cans at the Manchester gun show for around $225-$250 a can. it was marked russian and bulgarian.... really? i've been out of shooting for a while.. has it really gotten that high?

At that price might as well buy new production.

Were people actually buying it? I agree with Mac, at over 60 cents per round, for corrosive ammo, it doesn't make any sense when there is plenty of commercial non corrosive for the same or cheaper.

If I could get $500 per crate, I'd unload a few crates in a heartbeat.

Maybe it's time to start reloading this caliber. You can always buy ammo, when found at a decent price. This way you shouldn't be so dependent on market rates (assuming you can still get components for reloading). A few boxes of Prvi ammo will give you brass to re-use (seen locally for $14/box).

I guess it's time to start producing more 200g JSWC bullets for the 54R...

cCmf0e8m.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's time to start reloading this caliber. You can always buy ammo, when found at a decent price. This way you shouldn't be so dependent on market rates (assuming you can still get components for reloading). A few boxes of Prvi ammo will give you brass to re-use (seen locally for $14/box).

I guess it's time to start producing more 200g JSWC bullets for the 54R...

cCmf0e8m.jpg

That looks like way too much work! What case are you using for the projo? 7.62x25 tok? .30 carbine??

Although, if the other option was $250/can milsurp...

That looks like way too much work! What case are you using for the projo? 7.62x25 tok? .30 carbine??

Although, if the other option was $250/can milsurp...

Well, the CWSC are just dummy rounds. I don't bother with the extra-large berdan primed cases, but the Albanian are fine with the KV7,62N primers (if available). Start with some Prvi ammo and you'll accumulate ample boxer-primed brass.
The JSWC is a 5.7x28mm filled with lead; shot with wax makes for a 130 grainer.
The typical 7.62x39mm bullets work well in the 54R, as well as numerous cast, coated and plated bullets.

reviving an older thread..... I saw 7.62X54 spam cans at the Manchester gun show for around $225-$250 a can. it was marked Russian and Bulgarian.... really? i've been out of shooting for a while.. has it really gotten that high?
Wow, I think the last time I bought a spam can of it it was like $79.

Back
Top Bottom