• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trouble finding 7.62x54r

I got some brass cases, Glenn of Glenn's reloading said he would be getting the dies in at some point. I definitely would like to reload it eventually.

Make sure you know what your bore slugs at 308 - 312 Also be sure your reloading dies have the correct expander they come in the smaller and larger sizes.
My 91/30 comes in at a touch over 313" The 312" hornady bullets have done well and far better than surplus but the cost of 312dia bullest doesnt justify reloading them in this rifle. Cast bullets perform much better I use a Lyman 314299 gas checked and push them from 1100fps to 1800 fps. Decent plinking accuracy and I pulled off a few sub 3" groups before I ran out of powder for testing in 2012.
Just getting back to it now.

Ya seriously. $186 after tax?! I'm all for supporting local shops but why the f*** would I spend an extra $80 on a can when I get them to my door for $105?! Riley's charges $115, they were $105 up until May or June at Riley's. MA shops shouldn't charge more than $120 a can if free state shops sell them for $115.

Problem is the LGS in mass are probably getting their surplus tins from the same vendors we are and for the same prices or a "wholesale" vendor who does not have wholesale prices in the quanities of ammo most shops buy.....I think this is part of the reason FSG in woburn has their "trailer" ammo sale?

Make sure you know what your bore slugs at 308 - 312 Also be sure your reloading dies have the correct expander they come in the smaller and larger sizes.
My 91/30 comes in at a touch over 313" The 312" hornady bullets have done well and far better than surplus but the cost of 312dia bullest doesnt justify reloading them in this rifle. Cast bullets perform much better I use a Lyman 314299 gas checked and push them from 1100fps to 1800 fps. Decent plinking accuracy and I pulled off a few sub 3" groups before I ran out of powder for testing in 2012.
Just getting back to it now.

Fred/50 BMG slugged the bore on my archangel 91/30 build at .311. Not sure what my M44 slugs at. So would it be best to use a .311 bullet?

Fred/50 BMG slugged the bore on my archangel 91/30 build at .311. Not sure what my M44 slugs at. So would it be best to use a .311 bullet?

For the most part Russian mosins will run 311-312 bullets and fins ran small 308

- - - Updated - - -

For the most part Russian mosins will run 311-312 bullets and fins ran small 308

Thanks for the info guys. I took a road trip up to Riley's and scored 3 cans. I'm not paying MA prices for this stuff.

If you buy a couple of cans its worth the price of gas......plus......I got to rileys shooters and collectible (and bass pro if I'm in the mood) all on the same trip.

finding it is not that hard......paying the higher prices some places get is hard.
As always those who have been around since it was 70$ a tin we should have bought tons of it.
Those just getting into mosins either have to hunt down the deals or pay if they want to shoot.
Just be glad that surplus 54r is still as cheap as it is. 5 years ago surplus 30-06 was what I considered cheap....now it's 70+ cents per round. Also I see 308 cheaper now than I have for years. As low as 50 cents per round.
If you want some cheap 54r you free starters have lots of options. For the restricted states you need to team up with others and a possible free state friend that's easy to get to. My free state friend moved back to mass 2 years ago....ending a real good deal.

I read on one of the forums that there doesn't seem to be any difference with that ammo. I don't have any experience with it personally. The review that was in question was that the shooter did not test any other types of 7.62 to base any accuracy standards.
So there's my .02 cents. [cheers]

Seems like the physical difference between the two is that 7N1 has the air pocket the the 5.45 has. So it is giant "poison" bullet in terms of tissue damage?

Coincidentally, I was searching for apple- and wine-crates for one of my girls (patio box garden) when I stumbled across the following Craigslist ad.
I suspect there's no supply problem in the Dayton, Ohio area and if so, this guy caused it!

http://dayton.craigslist.org/spo/4818717335.html

00N0N_j4cdqWD9JG4_600x450.jpg

Rileys still has spam cans at $115. I picked up a can......there were 5 left......all vintage 1980.

For you free staters, I just got two tins (880rds) of 1981 production for $192 shipped to my door from here. Use code "SH1097" for free shipping. It sucks that I can't even consider this a "deal" as I still expect to pay $180 like I did at the Marlboro gun shows back in '11-'12 from the NY ammo guy. Oh well, still not too terrible.

Last edited:
I got plenty of x54r ammo but I noticed that all of the online vendors I've purchased from before, have been sold out for the last month or so. Excluding some of that surplus match/sniper ammo for more $$.

I assume they're still importing crates of x54r?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom